• The KillerFrogs

Question: How will the Dallas News cover us this fall?

Buck

The S-T and the Dallas News have announced that they will stop sharing content at the end of June --

(Because the News wants to keep stories behind the paywall and charge for them)

So does that mean we get a Dallas News beat reporter? Will they bother to send a writer to road games?

2314@work

Contributor
The S-T and the Dallas News have announced that they will stop sharing content at the end of June --

(Because the News wants to keep stories behind the paywall and charge for them)

So does that mean we get a Dallas News beat reporter? Will they bother to send a writer to road games?
Yes - No.
Just speculation.
Will send a writer to the bowl game.

HG73

Let me get this straight: in 2012 we'll probably get better coverage in New York than we will in Dallas?

Lone Frog

Most Dallasites act like they live in the Upper East Side anyway. I've got a few ideas of what they can do with their newspaper.

That's because most everyone here actually is from up North (or California). Native Dallasites like myself are a rare breed in these parts.

As far as coverage, I expect the DMN will send a reporter to home games and rely on AP for away. Much as I dislike the Snooze, I couldn't argue with that making the most sense.

Limp Lizard

If SMU becomes consistently good again, it will be rough DMN coverage. Back in the day (the 60's) I remember DMN media at the media table in basketball games openly cheering for SMU and taunting the refs. They made ESPN look subtle.

horseman903

Good journalism and the Dallas News have been at odds for years. (Wayne Slater being an exception.) Using shared-content from a competitor to cover a Top Ten team 30 miles away is a disgrace, but it is typical of the DMN, which is often 15 years behind the curve.

The pay-for-content effort by the DMN is going nowhere. The material simply isn't worth the price. The Star-T, the Austin American-Statesman and the Houston Chronicle are free and better. It's another flop -- and the News has had a bunch of them -- from the goofy scan-pen, to the abandoned Collin County bureau, to the sloppy syrupy neighborhood sections to the ill-edited unlamented Dallas News Magazine. The business success for the News comes as a carrier for pre-printed inserts. It has little influence on local politics and its classified section has declined dramatically.

The New York Times offers subscriptions in Texas for about $30 per month -- much less than the DMN. The Times also has expanded Texas coverage to several unique pages per week and every story beats the DMN.

To read print about the Big East, the Times is the only option.

It's interesting that neither the Cowboys or the Rangers are truly Dallas teams. The sports migration is westward, but there has been an unspoken non-compete understanding between the News and the Star-T for years. The News doesn't go west of Irving and the Star-T halts at Arlington.

I believe the Star-Telegram would find fertile fields for circulation growth in Dallas and Collin County. The News owns the Denton paper. Collin County is a newspaper wasteland. Readers in all three counties are hungry for an alternative -- the Times or the Star-Telegram are obvious choices -- and the Times knows it.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
A quick shameless plug for Dan Jenkins' great novel on newspapers in Texas: "You Gotta Play Hurt." It's a great read and as always, focuses on the north Texas region. Not as famous as Baja and the Puckett sports series, but great nonetheless.

AggieFrog

Are many folks even still reading the DMN since they went behind the pay wall? I would have paid maybe $5 for online access, but the prices they're charging are ridiculous. When you price your paper above the NYT and WSJ you deserve to have a huge drop in readership.

2314@work

Contributor
A quick shameless plug for Dan Jenkins' great novel on newspapers in Texas: "You Gotta Play Hurt." It's a great read and as always, focuses on the north Texas region. Not as famous as Baja and the Puckett sports series, but great nonetheless.
Agree. Very good read.
When I read this book I wondered if it may be closer to a Jenkins biography. At least some parts.