• The KillerFrogs

NY Times: T.C.U.’s Rise Could Lead to Change in Leagues

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
jp-colleges-popup.jpg

NY Times: T.C.U.'s Rise Could Lead to Change in Leagues

By PETE THAMEL

SALT LAKE CITY — As Texas Christian roared to a 20-point lead in the first quarter against Utah on Saturday, Horned Frogs Athletic Director Chris Del Conte showed his superstitious side.

In his suite high atop Rice-Eccles Stadium, Del Conte demanded that his guests stay still, as if the switching of a seat would turn into a karmic disaster for the Horned Frogs. In the end, the revelers in Del Conte's suite could have played musical chairs and it would not have mattered, as T.C.U. cruised to a 47-7 victory.

The victory solidified Texas Christian's No. 3 slot in the Bowl Championship Series standings and made it the favorite to leap into the national title game if No. 1 Oregon or No. 2 Auburn falters.

But T.C.U.'s rise to the cusp of college football's biggest stage comes at a time when Del Conte and the Horned Frogs are probably going to be faced with a decision of whether to play a higher-stakes game of musical chairs. ...

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
CDC is the right man for the job. The underlying message here is "would playing in the Big Least really put us in a better position for a possible national championship, or is it just a better safety net that allows us to go to a BCS game without going undefeated?" Does the league really offer us anything more than an autobid? We seem to be getting quite enough national exposure without the benefit of crushing Big Least teams, thank you very much.

The only other comment I would have considered was a "we won't join a conference as a second class citizen" type comment, but CDC is too smart to set an ultimatum like that in the media. Hopefully, if contacted by the Big Least, that is what he is telling them in private.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
CDC is the right man for the job. The underlying message here is "would playing in the Big Least really put us in a better position for a possible national championship, or is it just a better safety net that allows us to go to a BCS game without going undefeated?" Does the league really offer us anything more than an autobid? We seem to be getting quite enough national exposure without the benefit of crushing Big Least teams, thank you very much.

The only other comment I would have considered was a "we won't join a conference as a second class citizen" type comment, but CDC is too smart to set an ultimatum like that in the media. Hopefully, if contacted by the Big Least, that is what he is telling them in private.

One other comment - how would beating a 7-2 SDSU hurt us? I understand that New Mexico will kill us, but SDSU is one bad call away from being ranked.

fdub

the New York Slimes is a crackup. They've got to be the only institution left in the world that calls LSU "Louisiana State." And puts periods in TCU, and won't abbreviate BCS, etc.

oldscribe

the New York Slimes is a crackup. They've got to be the only institution left in the world that calls LSU "Louisiana State." And puts periods in TCU, and won't abbreviate BCS, etc.
In the newspaper business there is a thing called ``style" which has nothing to do with editorial slant or even a publication's overall worth. It is how that paper chooses to do things like spelling and punctuation in order to be consistent. Most papers in recent years have used waht is called ``AP stule" so that their own stories use the same rule on punctuation, etc., as the Associated Press. The Times has its own take on abbreviations, as noted by fdub. And they probably are the only ones who don't use LSU or TCU, etc.

NC-FROG

How does a victory over SDSU hurt our computer ranking? I believe SDSU is ranked 27th (extrapolating based on their point total) in the AP. Now New Mexico on the other hand.

An-Cap Frog

In the newspaper business there is a thing called ``style" which has nothing to do with editorial slant or even a publication's overall worth. It is how that paper chooses to do things like spelling and punctuation in order to be consistent. Most papers in recent years have used waht is called ``AP stule" so that their own stories use the same rule on punctuation, etc., as the Associated Press. The Times has its own take on abbreviations, as noted by fdub. And they probably are the only ones who don't use LSU or TCU, etc.
Another reason for their fall in circulation...

purplepreacher

Enough of this anti-liberal take on things! This is about jornalism, not politics! PA-LEES. I like how they print T.C.U. Some of us are proud of our name!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Some newspapers consider themselves the authority on the usage of their language. Obviously the NYT does. Aside from their curious editorial distractions, they are quite good at usage. The Wall St. Journal is also quite good at usage. Comapre these newspapers with the Startlegram and the difference is, well, startling.

Similar rivalries exist in France, with Le Monde and Le Figaro contending for the best French. The Guardian and the London Sunday Times do as well.

Face it. They're newspaper geeks.

macaroni

Fred Garvin asked this earlier in the thread, but since no one answered I will ask again. How can beating a top-30 bowl team definitely hurt us in the numbers?

57Frog

Fred Garvin asked this earlier in the thread, but since no one answered I will ask again. How can beating a top-30 bowl team definitely hurt us in the numbers?
I don't know . It didn't seem to hurt Auburn to defeat an fcs team last week . :angry:

chee

Wish people would look at other teams schedules before bad mouthing our's. Oregon's first game this year was New Mexico. We have to play NM since they are in our league. Oregon chose to play them. Before saturdays games only 2 of the teams Oregon played have winning records. :blush:

West Coast Johnny

When asked if he felt his university was overlooked because it plays most of its games in the cable hinterlands and lacks the publicity jolt of being tied to ESPN, Del Conte went to spin mode.

Am I wrong, or does TCU get as much media attention as just about any school in the country? BCS Busters get a huge share of media attention. In fact, our media attention is much greater as an undefeated "buster" than a big east conference champ. As long as we go undefeated every year, being in a small conference has its benefits.