• The KillerFrogs

Missouri expected to stay in the Big 12

ZeeFrog

Indications are that Missouri will stay in the Big 12, a source within the league said Thursday.

Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton will speak at a 6:45 pm CT press conference in Columbia, Mo. but there is no direct knowledge of what the presser will deal with or whether a formal announcement will be made. Two newspapers reported this week that Missouri seemed to be the favorite to become the SEC's 14th team. The Kansas City Star reported Missouri had an offer on the table from the SEC. The Birmingham News reported that Missouri had "informally agreed" to join the SEC.

Deaton is the current chair of the Big 12 CEOs.

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/32182014

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I wonder who the 14th will be now?

For now, anyways, it may be 'nobody'. Causes a few scheduling headaches but nothing more than that. They won't be the only 13 team conference in D1A. The SEC seems intent on sticking to the premise that they won't be responsible for inflicting the death blow on a conference - something both Missouri and WV might do. The SEC can afford to wait and see if either collapses on its own or with somebody else's help.

Boomhauer

I wonder who the 14th will be now?

SEC should pick up WVU, but rumors are they already rejected WVU.

If you assume no team will leave the ACC due to the $20mm buyout, and that there is a gentleman's agreement not to take schools from states where the SEC already has a presence, who is left? TCU is the only strong remaining candidate if the SEC indeed wants to expand.

Houston Frog

If you assume no team will leave the ACC due to the $20mm buyout, and that there is a gentleman's agreement not to take schools from states where the SEC already has a presence, who is left? TCU is the only strong remaining candidate if the SEC indeed wants to expand.

TCU and A&M are in the same state

fanatical frog

On the Tim Brando show on CBSSports yesterday, I saw a crawler that said "the SEC denies extending an offer to Missouri"....I couldn't believe my eyes so I stayed tuned and it came up another several times. Brando was interviewing Paul Feinstein (or is it Finebaum ?) at the time and Paul mentioned the SEC office was getting a lot of hate from SEC fans who had heard the Missou to SEC rumors and were real.....REAL....unhappy about it.

HUT-Frog

UMass is MAC's 14th team.

In case nobody noticed, in 13-team MAC somebody had to play one more conference game than everybody else. And one year, that extra game caused one team to be knocked out of a three-way atop one division.

The SEC could do it for a year, maybe two -- with A&M not being eligible for title game. But that damn sure wouldn't last very long! Thirteen is a bad number for any conference.