• The KillerFrogs

Midland Reporter-Telegram: Midland Chaps outfielder signs with TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
ratio3x2_1200.jpg

JC BASEBALL: Seven Chaps sign with four-year schools​

Oscar LeRoy, MRT.com/Midland Reporter-Telegram

The Midland College baseball team had a great day on Wednesday as seven student-athletes signed letters-of-intent to play at four-year universities next year.

Infielder Tyler Wulfert and right-handed pitcher Luke Young are going to be teammates at Oklahoma State University, outfielder Luke Bumpus is heading to TCU, outfielder/right-handed pitcher Jarek Wells signed with Houston Baptist University, catcher Ryan Blackwell inked with Oral Roberts University, right-handed pitcher Luis Rodriguez signed with University of Incarnate Word, and infielder Caleb Heuertz is going to continue a family tradition by attending Angelo State University.
Bumpus will go from being a teammate of Wulfert and Young to an opponent with his decision to go to Big 12 rival TCU.

“We already giving each other a hard time in practice about that, but it’s going to be super exciting anytime I get to face them,” Bumpus said.

Bumpus, who is from Wylie, a suburb northeast of Dallas, said TCU will be closer to home and the Horned Frogs came in early in the recruiting process.

“I’ve gone to a few of their games and then mainly for me, I chose TCU because of the coaching and the philosophy match my style of play,” said Bumpus, who also committed shortly after playing in the all-star game. “Stealing bases is kind of more of my game, so it was pretty much a good fit all the way around.”

Bumpus also had a good freshman year as he batted .397 with three home runs and 38 RBI.

Read more at https://www.chron.com/sports/chaps/article/JC-BASEBALL-Seven-Chaps-sign-with-four-year-16630115.php