• The KillerFrogs

Merka

TEUFELI

Looks as if GP has the nerve to "speculate" that Merka will play TE.

Via PM...
-----------------------------------------------------------

While Logan Brock and Robert Deck are getting the most reps this spring and are the veterans of the group, Coach Patterson has taken notice of his younger athletic tight ends, Corey Fuller and Stephen Bryant. Both tight ends have displayed the ability to stretch the defense vertically and haul in big passes.

“You have Corey Fuller, Stephen Bryant and Dominic Merka coming in the fall. Besides the two other guys we’re just young there. I really like them [Fuller and Bryant], they’re probably the more athletic of the group,” Patterson said. “They’re not the good of blockers like Brock and Deck are, but they can run vertical and catch balls a lot better in the open space.”

FrogAbroad

I'd wager just about everyone on this forum are better at catching balls "in the open space" than when in a crowd of defenders.

Gunner

Well, the rumor turns into reality. Ever since we signed the guy, all said he was a TE. Even before we signed him, much to my chagrin. Wanted another 6'4 QB. Now we have two 6'3 guys committed for 2012. It doesn't get any better than that. And Brown got that growth spurt, which is a blessing beyond description to Fuente.

They can see.

PurplePutt

Looks as if GP has the nerve to "speculate" that Merka will play TE.

Via PM...
-----------------------------------------------------------

While Logan Brock and Robert Deck are getting the most reps this spring and are the veterans of the group, Coach Patterson has taken notice of his younger athletic tight ends, Corey Fuller and Stephen Bryant. Both tight ends have displayed the ability to stretch the defense vertically and haul in big passes.

“You have Corey Fuller, Stephen Bryant and Dominic Merka coming in the fall. Besides the two other guys we’re just young there. I really like them [Fuller and Bryant], they’re probably the more athletic of the group,” Patterson said. “They’re not the good of blockers like Brock and Deck are, but they can run vertical and catch balls a lot better in the open space.”

And that was some big secret?

Froggy Style

Well, the rumor turns into reality. Ever since we signed the guy, all said he was a TE. Even before we signed him, much to my chagrin. Wanted another 6'4 QB. Now we have two 6'3 guys committed for 2012. It doesn't get any better than that. And Brown got that growth spurt, which is a blessing beyond description to Fuente.

They can see.

Davey O'Brien
Andy Dalton

Two people I'm glad were not 6'3".

Dogfrog

I'm sure the coaching staff has plans for these guys, but given how seldom TE's have been used in the passing game, it seems like the athleticism of guys like Bryant and Merka could be used elsewhere. Based on how we use TE's in the past, we need offensive linemen with a little speed at TE, IMO.

IronSkillet

Seems to me they're considering utilizing the TEs a bit more in the passing game. I hope so.

I just recall reading the ESPN recruiting review of Merka where the scout was salivating over his arm and calling him "an exciting QB prospect". I'm sure the staff will find the best spot for him to contribute.

SnoopFrogs11

A depth of anything is always better than having very few of anything. The TCU offense could use some two TE sets like some of the top offenses use. We could keep it simple next year and open up the offense when we go to the Big East.

Houston Frog

Seems to me they're considering utilizing the TEs a bit more in the passing game. I hope so.

I just recall reading the ESPN recruiting review of Merka where the scout was salivating over his arm and calling him "an exciting QB prospect". I'm sure the staff will find the best spot for him to contribute.

Anyone who watched Merka's highschool highlight reel knew right away that Merka wasn't a college QB

For some reason Pain is under the impression that you can teach a kid how to throw a football, while in reality, nothing could be further from the truth.... you either got an arm or you don't. Sure, kids can work on their mechanics with a good QB coach and refine their passing game, but they can't teach a kid how to have a D1 arm

IronSkillet

Anyone who watched Merka's highschool highlight reel knew right away that Merka wasn't a college QB

For some reason Pain is under the impression that you can teach a kid how to throw a football, while in reality, nothing could be further from the truth.... you either got an arm or you don't. Sure, kids can work on their mechanics with a good QB coach and refine their passing game, but they can't teach a kid how to have a D1 arm

Apparently "anyone" doesn't include whoever ESPN assigned to scout him:

"This guy is an exciting prospect with big upside as a both a passer and athlete. Merka is a dual-threat, athletic, but raw signal-caller that shows a live arm, very impressive measurables and he can really run. He impresses you with his live arm and downfield strength, particularly when he throws off-balance and away from his body. He's a pass first quarterback despite excellent athleticism. Shows he can drop/settle in the pocket smoothly with balance as a passer or make plays outside of the pocket with good mobility when things break down. There are flashes of him really unleashing the ball and showing the ability to fit the ball into tight spots to intermediate areas of the field. Ball pops off his hand when he is set, balanced and steps into his throws... Merka could play in any scheme and also could play another position, but we feel he has terrific upside to develop under center."

Like I said before, I'm sure the staff has him in the best position to contribute

Houston Frog

Apparently "anyone" doesn't include whoever ESPN assigned to scout him:

"This guy is an exciting prospect with big upside as a both a passer and athlete. Merka is a dual-threat, athletic, but raw signal-caller that shows a live arm, very impressive measurables and he can really run. He impresses you with his live arm and downfield strength, particularly when he throws off-balance and away from his body. He's a pass first quarterback despite excellent athleticism. Shows he can drop/settle in the pocket smoothly with balance as a passer or make plays outside of the pocket with good mobility when things break down. There are flashes of him really unleashing the ball and showing the ability to fit the ball into tight spots to intermediate areas of the field. Ball pops off his hand when he is set, balanced and steps into his throws... Merka could play in any scheme and also could play another position, but we feel he has terrific upside to develop under center."

Like I said before, I'm sure the staff has him in the best position to contribute
Well, I watched about 30 seconds of his clip last spring and knew immediately he was not going to be a D1 QB, but I think that says more about the ESPN analyst than it says about me. And I said that on here and PM multiple times and got in arguments with Gunner about it, dating back to this time last year.

The guy was right about one thing, Merka was a "raw" passer in high school.... I would almost guarantee you we never considered putting him behind center at TCU

West Coast Johnny

I'm sure the coaching staff has plans for these guys, but given how seldom TE's have been used in the passing game, it seems like the athleticism of guys like Bryant and Merka could be used elsewhere. Based on how we use TE's in the past, we need offensive linemen with a little speed at TE, IMO.

Yea, I've been a bit puzzled by our offensive scheme & our recruiting of tight ends. There are basically two types of TEs; glorified offensive linemen & big dudes with ball skills. We seem to recruit ball skills types (Merka, Bryant, Gilbert), but then end up using them as offensive linemen types. I thought Nila Kasitati would have been perfect for our offense last year, but we didn't offer.