• The KillerFrogs

Louisville to SEC?

UnderToad

"That means Louisville and Clemson are at the top of the list. With either addition, the SEC adds programs not afraid to spend money to get bigger (have you seen Louisville’s NBA arena and Clemson’s SEC-style football stadium?). Adding Louisville would bring the league a major basketball power, and adding Clemson would strengthen the overall sports program of the conference."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-08-11/mass-expansion-at-big-12s-expense-looms-with-texas-am-looking-secs-way

Boomhauer

"That means Louisville and Clemson are at the top of the list. With either addition, the SEC adds programs not afraid to spend money to get bigger (have you seen Louisville’s NBA arena and Clemson’s SEC-style football stadium?). Adding Louisville would bring the league a major basketball power, and adding Clemson would strengthen the overall sports program of the conference."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-08-11/mass-expansion-at-big-12s-expense-looms-with-texas-am-looking-secs-way

Louisville will never happen. Kentucky would veto that one. Clemson would be a perfect fit for the SEC, not sure if USC would veto that one like UK would UofL.

froginaustin

This speculation is about as good as any.

:rolleyes:

Conventional wisdom has been that Kentucky would block any attempt to add Louisville to the SEC. I guess there is no more conventional wisdom, only wild anal extractions.

UnderToad

I did like this quote from the article . . .

"Meanwhile, the Big East earlier this year turned down a billion dollar television contract extension from ESPN, choosing to complete the current deal that ends in Sept. 2012 and allow bidding for its package. Representatives from ESPN, NBC, Fox and CBS were at the league Media Days earlier this month—all schmoozing Big East honchos for a place at the bargaining table."

HG73

Ky will veto Louisville, SC/Ga will veto Clemson, and Fla will veto FSU. If SEC takes Aggy, they will also take Missouri, VaTech or UNC. New TV markets, less internal conflict.

PhillyFrog

Hokies all the way.

Adding a crimson jersey on both sides of the ledger picks up the Virginia and Texas markets. Much m$$lah. And puts the new Big 10 in a very tough position.

mtmedlin

THink of it this way. There are four maybe as high as six ACC/BE candidates.

Florida St, Clemson and Louisville - All three split a state. Which one would they take...I would go with the one with the highest population, highest average attendance and highest total sports revenue....drumroll please.... Florida St.

If they want to not overlap markets their choices that have been mentioned are Virginia Tech, North Carolina and West Virginia. Out of these UNC comes from the highest population but it is very close to Vtech. Vtech has the highest attendance 66K (follwed by UNC and WV) and total revenue is lead by Vtech. I think Vtech is the clear choice here.

So for me it comes fow to Florida St or Vtech. Florida St leads on attendance. 71K to 66K. Tech though makes more of a sports profit and leads in football revenue. Population...Florida St wins. Either one is a good choice for the SEC and if future expansion leads to 16, I see both in the SEC.

in short, lousiville and WV arent going anywhere.

PurplePutt

I would think that VT would be the best choice. If you want to talk about spliting states then you would have to talk about spliting NC/NC St/Duke too. VT relatively new to ACC with the largest fan base and DC area TV market would seem to be the smartest move. Have read that SEC is in talks with FSU though. Worried about a VT replacement being WVU?

AEAfrog

I would think that VT would be the best choice. If you want to talk about spliting states then you would have to talk about spliting NC/NC St/Duke too. VT relatively new to ACC with the largest fan base and DC area TV market would seem to be the smartest move. Have read that SEC is in talks with FSU though. Worried about a VT replacement being WVU?

Virginia Tech is a no brainer if you don't consider their UVa problem. A lot of people worked for years to get those two into the same conference. It would be difficult to split them up now.

Stiff Arm Frog

The Sooners don't want in? What, is their allegiance to Kansas holding them back?

Oklahoma makes more sense for the SEC and the school than any of the universities listed above. I say it's OU, and Texas goes Indy.