• The KillerFrogs

Looking Like Nova to Move Up

Kaiser

[font="verdana][i]The immediate future of the Big East should be decided in less than a week.

Villanova is scheduled to vote on whether to make the move to FBS football and join the Big East on Tuesday when its trustees meet. The blog VUHoops.com, which has covered this story well, reports that Villanova [url="http://vuhoops.com/2011/04/07/expansion-apocalypse-what-to-expect-when-you-are-expecting-a-decision/"]has the votes to approve[/url] the jump up from FCS and that the Wildcats are likely to say yes.

I've spoken to some Big East administrators lately, and the general feeling is that Villanova will make the move. They say the school is worried its basketball program will lose prestige if there is an eventual split by the football schools in the Big East. But the administrators also conceded this is no slam dunk for Villanova, which will have to make a major investment -- school officials have said that at least $30 million will be needed up front to build facilities -- and which still lacks a suitable stadium for big-time football. For a small, private school in a pro town, Villanova is far from guaranteed success.....[/i][/font]

[font="verdana][i]
[/i][/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="verdana][i][url="http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/40489/villanovas-football-decision-looming"]My link[/url]
[/i][/font]

[font="verdana]
[/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="verdana][/font][/color][color="#333333"][font="verdana][color="#2D4866"][font="Arial][size="4"]....What else?
Other than the venue and money, the last two issues are the school's dealings with the conference and the vote itself.

Regarding the conference, my sources (one of whom is Father Peter himself), have stated just that, there are "a few issues to be worked out," with the Big East. As for what those issues are, we don't know exactly.

PPL Park is likely a part of that equation, as will the financial deal between Villanova and the Big East once the school enters the conference officially in 2014. Perhaps most importantly would be any scheduling arrangements in 2012 and 2013 and the financial payouts that might be awarded as part of that.

The Big East could easily assist Villanova's transition expenses by asking it's football members to schedule the Wildcats in either 2012 or 2013 in a "buy" game. One-0ff games with no return date typically cut the visiting team a six-figure check, with the quality of the opponent determining the amount of the payout. A visit by second-year FCS program Georgia State to the University of Houston in 2011 will cost the hosts $300,000, for example.

That is all speculation, of course. All that we do know is that Villanova administrators have been, or will be discussing whatever specifics of the arrangement need to be hammered out with the league office this week.

So, lets pretend it's April 12th…
A source close to the situation has relayed to VUhoops that the trustees in favor of this move currently have enough votes for the measure to pass on Tuesday. That news was, of course, pending the results of the discussions with the Big East as well as the final fundraising push.

President Fr. Peter Donohue will also make his recommendation to the board when they assemble, and it is expected that his recommendation will carry much weight with the Trustees — though it is unknown exactly how many would be swayed to change their vote based on it. Fr. Donohue is reportedly stressed about the situation and it is unknown exactly what he will recommend.

Some members of the "no" contingent are reportedly unhappy with the way things have worked out so far. It is expected that they would attempt to use any late snags in the process to try and pull some of the "yes" voters to their side.

It does seem, however, that the University is very close to a vote in favor of moving Villanova football to FBS status and joining the Big East conference. It would be the first instance of a private university upgrading from the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as I-AA) since Division 1 football was split in the late 70′s....

My link

This Article is a month old but it details what may derail Nova's move up to FBS football

Lately, it has emerged that the Big East conference has been lukewarm toward Villanova's preferred venue for games, PPL Park in Chester. The soccer-specific stadium currently seats only 18,500 fans, and while it would not be the smallest stadium in the Bowl Subdivision (both Idaho's Kibbie Dome and FIU Stadium are smaller), it would be the smallest stadium in the Big East conference by over 16,000 seats.

According to sources close to the situation, administrators at the University of Pittsburgh are unhappy with the idea of having such a small venue in the conference, and would prefer that Villanova plays it's home games at a venue that can hold a minimum of 35,000 fans (to match Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium).

Pittsburgh was also reportedly upset that Villanova has pushed the ultimate decision on this issue back until April, despite the fact that large the capital investment in moving from FCS to FBS football requires more due-diligence than a move from one FBS conference to another.

My link

[/size][/font]
[/font][/color]

froginaustin

The folks on the BE board seems to think that the die is cast.

Anticipating what 'Nova men's basketball is likely to do to us in the first few years in the BE, I sort of look forward to kicking them around in football.

Kaiser

The folks on the BE board seems to think that the die is cast.

Anticipating what 'Nova men's basketball is likely to do to us in the first few years in the BE, I sort of look forward to kicking them around in football.

I think the die is cast short of the Big East nixing PPL park. I'm fine with Nova. It's not like adding ECU, UCF, or Houston raises our football reputation either.

Our football teams should play each other on the hardwood and the basketball teams should play each other in football. Would make for more competitive games.

froginaustin

So Villanova's financing plan includes one-off road games to big east teams - for $300,000 checks. LoL this sounds so effing rinky-dink.
The $300,000 payday was for a brand-new FCS team visiting UHouston. I suspect 'Nova and the league bureaucrats are expecting much bigger checks for 'Nova for visiting BE football schools.

mtmedlin

Ive always thought that Nova would move up, and heard in January the votes were there but in the end, I still think its a mistake. I think the BE needs to just make assurances that if a split were to happen, we would keep them, Notre Dame, Georgetown and St Johns. That would give us a 13 teams in bball and 9 in football. As far as Iam concerend the remaining teams can keep the Big East name, their share of the BBall credits and we can (with approval of the BCS and NCAA) form a "new" conference and re-brand. I hate to say it but the BE name is a basketball league and a wimpy football conference. We can then add three teams and the top priority needs to be selling our soul to Notre Dame. Give them a guranteed amount and the rest of the league takes whats left. Whether or not they are a powerhouse or not, they bring in viewers and are valuable. With their draw, we can raise revenue or our network and hopefully go after some bigger names to fill out numbers 11, and 12.

OmniscienceFrog

I think the die is cast short of the Big East nixing PPL park. I'm fine with Nova. It's not like adding ECU, UCF, or Houston raises our football reputation either.

Any of those three would raise it a lot more than Villanova will. That's akin to saying the addition of Wyoming to MWC baseball would raise the MWC's reputation the same that adding ECU, UCF or Houston would.

This has to be a political move first and foremost, and I hope it's worth it for the league if they make the move.

Opintel

Moderators
...and the movements (BMs?) and political stuff continue. Count on it keep'n on for a while.

Pepto Bismol is on aisle three. :blink:

Kaiser

Any of those three would raise it a lot more than Villanova will. That's akin to saying the addition of Wyoming to MWC baseball would raise the MWC's reputation the same that adding ECU, UCF or Houston would.

This has to be a political move first and foremost, and I hope it's worth it for the league if they make the move.

Nova actually had Sagarin rankings between the 50s & 90s I believe. So in the computer worlds they aren't much worse than the CUSA teams any given year. In terms of popular perception adding any of those CUSA teams doesn't suddenly put the Big East on par with even the ACC.

Endless Purple

I am against a 9 game schedule, but that was discussed in another thread.

Nova does have some upside in that they have won at the FCS level just like Boise did before moving up. It is not entirely impossible that they won't succeed at the FBS level as well. The schedule will be harder than Boise's is, but even 8-9 wins will look good.

Texas Otto

Nova actually had Sagarin rankings between the 50s & 90s I believe. So in the computer worlds they aren't much worse than the CUSA teams any given year. In terms of popular perception adding any of those CUSA teams doesn't suddenly put the Big East on par with even the ACC.

I'm not excited by this move but knew it would most likely happen as it secures Nova hoops and gives football the extra vote needed to push the basketball side around a little without adding another brand new member. I guess it shows being a founding member has its privledges!

:unsure:

HFrog1999

My friends call me 'nova.

31322-24562.gif

frogbyproxy

NOVA was supposed to have made their decision three months ago in a report and that is why the BE has been talking to other schools. They may have made a mistake waiting so long. Good luck to them but I'm betting they were dropped way down the list when they didn't respond favorably months ago.

P.S.
Maybe to another conference. IMO

WVUFan

Look this is the best "Financial move" Cusa will always be there but they have not earned it like TCU has. By adding Nova in 2014-15(earliest they can join) it allows the FB schools to get some extra revenue. The basketball will not be watered down even more competition wise and money wise, as the earning will not have to be divided up even more.

who is to say that a cusa team will not join them in 4+ years when they come into the BE.

Stiff Arm Frog

I get why the Big East wants to add Villanova -- basketball politics, media market -- but I can't for the life of me understand why Villanova wants to move up. Okay, so say it's for security, and they stay in D-2 and the Big East splits -- big flippin' deal. They''l still stick around with their basketball buddies, and they can just keep playing football in FCS.

Villanova has neither the history nor the deep pockets of TCU. If they need the rest of the conference to subsidize this move, I just see trouble on the horizon. Yeah, maybe they'll have success like UConn. But what happens if in ten years they're still in the conference cellar, basketball splits, and they're losing a few million dollars every year just trying to keep up?

That said, I hope Villanova makes the move up. It'll be good for TCU.
tongue.gif

OmniscienceFrog

By adding Nova in 2014-15(earliest they can join) it allows the FB schools to get some extra revenue.

Who is to say that a cusa team will not join them in 4+ years when they come into the BE.

Don't recall ever hearing a reason for why they can't join for four years. Why is that exactly?

AEAfrog

NOVA was supposed to have made their decision three months ago in a report and that is why the BE has been talking to other schools. They may have made a mistake waiting so long. Good luck to them but I'm betting they were dropped way down the list when they didn't respond favorably months ago.

P.S.
Maybe to another conference. IMO

There is no "list" at play here. Villanova can move up whenever they so elect. It isn't a matter of the conference voting them in like one of the CUSA teams.

mtmedlin

Nova has a standing offer. We offered them, they said they needed more time to make a decision. The Big East gave them more time. On tuesday they will vote and from everything I am hearing out of my colleagues at Notre Dame, the vote will be a yes vote with 2 abstaining. In 4 years they will join and if we really want to move to 12 teams we can add CUSA. Remember, NO ONE wants CUSA excepth maybe the BE. We can invite them now, we can get them later. Their the ugly chick at the bar, we dont need to rush.