• The KillerFrogs

LA Times: Love it or hate it, BCS has lifted all of college football

TCUFrogs

LA Times: Love it or hate it, BCS has lifted all of college football

By BILL PLASCHKE - Los Angeles Times

Three words you thought you'd never hear will be shouted across the nation Monday night, wrinkling noses, raising eyebrows, rising from the depths of two college football teams that are in exactly the right place at precisely the right time.

The BCS works.

That's right. You heard me. You will hear them. You will be hearing them all night long.

The maligned college football championship system that has spawned hatred from beer-stained parking lots to the White House has never worked better. The butt of jokes from Boise to Leno has never made more sense.

In its 13th year, the Bowl Championship Series is no silly teen. It has slowly become a sensible young adult with passion and perspective. Invented to solve college football's problems at the top, the BCS has instead changed the sport from the bottom, raising all 120 major college teams to the height of the American sports conscience. ...

"Some will argue here that the BCS is horrible because college football's third unbeaten team — Texas Christian — did not get a chance at the national title. I would argue that because of the BCS, TCU had the experience of a lifetime in the Rose Bowl, decorating the joint in delightful shades of purple and passion, finishing a perfect season in the perfect style befitting a team whose schedule simply wasn't good enough for a place in Monday's finale."

What? Or he could be saying about 50 years ago, "Those people just haven't earned the opportunity to drink at the same water fountain as us......they are not educated enough to be able to vote for president........."

As a experiment, I'd like to make an agreement with the New England Patriots to switch teams for a year. Put the Patriots in TCU uniforms and have them blow out every opponent on our schedule by 75 points. Then at the end of the year, when we're ranked third, reveal that our Casey Pachall is actually Tom Brady (we'd have to get Brady some henna arm tats to properly sell the ruse) and yes that Showgirl that looks suspiciously Giselle Bundchen is actually Giselle Bundchen. And then see what folks like Bill Plaschke have to say about how important strength of schedule is.

I'm sure Bill Belichick would be amenable to this idea ...

Houston Frog

As a experiment, I'd like to make an agreement with the New England Patriots to switch teams for a year. Put the Patriots in TCU uniforms and have them blow out every opponent on our schedule by 75 points. Then at the end of the year, when we're ranked third, reveal that our Casey Pachall is actually Tom Brady (we'd have to get Brady some henna arm tats to properly sell the ruse) and yes that Showgirl that looks suspiciously Giselle Bundchen is actually Giselle Bundchen. And then see what folks like Bill Plaschke have to say about how important strength of schedule is.

I'm sure Bill Belichick would be amenable to this idea ...

Patriots might be able to beat our schedule by 75 PPG, but they couldn't handle the week-in/week-out grind of the SEC.

TCUFrogs

Exactly. Slavery gets sheet done.

So perhaps the value of a particular institution should be judged by more considerations than whether somebody claims that it works.

Bill Plascke from 100 years ago: "Women should not vote. They should be happy with the experience of baking pies and seeing their men off to go and do that. After finishing a perfect season in the perfect style befitting all women whose schedule simply wasn't good enough for a place in Monday's voting booth."

macaroni

Patriots might be able to beat our schedule by 75 PPG, but they couldn't handle the week-in/week-out grind of the SEC.

I personally favor a scenario where the SEC champion is designated as an autobid to the MNC game every year, and then all the awesome SEC can get together and vote as to who is worthy to play against them that year. Then they can crack open a case of Natty Light and talk about how awesome they are.