• The KillerFrogs

If the SEC takes #14 from the ACC with FSU

Rabble Rouser

I think we can all agree that the best available school out there for the ACC would be WVU. However if the SEC took say, Florida State, would they attempt to lure the best available (WVU) or would they look to refortify in Florida with say USF (much like the speculation that the Big 12 would fill A$M's spot with Houston)? I think we can all agree that it would be better for the Big East to lose USF than WVU because we could always replace USF with UCF imo. If VT went to the SEC I guess WVU would be a bit of a slam dunk for the ACC if they could get them...

Planks

I think we can all agree that the best available school out there for the ACC would be WVU. However if the SEC took say, Florida State, would they attempt to lure the best available (WVU) or would they look to refortify in Florida with say USF (much like the speculation that the Big 12 would fill A$M's spot with Houston)? I think we can all agree that it would be better for the Big East to lose USF than WVU because we could always replace USF with UCF imo. If VT went to the SEC I guess WVU would be a bit of a slam dunk for the ACC if they could get them...

Regardless of who the ACC loses, they will replace them with WVU. Anyone who thinks the potential for a large TV contract will save the Big East is either kidding themselves or named AggieAngst. The ACC schools are bigger brand names, better traditionally in football, and much stronger academically. Any Big East school (including us) would happily join the ACC if offered, even if the ACC lost a top team or two.

Stiff Arm Frog

FSU issued a statement this afternoon, they ain't goin' nowhere....

Right. And Utah made a statement the other day, there's no way they're goin' to the Pac10. :biggrin:

I agree with the OP, we better hope that OU is the next team to SECede. Any school leaves the ACC, and WVU is sayin' sionara to the Big East.

Genbukan

Regardless of who the ACC loses, they will replace them with WVU. Anyone who thinks the potential for a large TV contract will save the Big East is either kidding themselves or named AggieAngst. The ACC schools are bigger brand names, better traditionally in football, and much stronger academically. Any Big East school (including us) would happily join the ACC if offered, even if the ACC lost a top team or two.

I disagree. The ACC is a very compact regional league without the national appeal, and big city footprints that the BEast offers. Now I don't dispute that Fla. St., Miami and Va Tech have a better national "reputation" than any BEast school (including TCU) but the BEast is looked upon as a better basketball league and will have the benefit of the Comcast/NBC deal which will be more than anything the ACC can get before 2020. Add to that the fact that the league will be losing one of their "brand" name teams (Va. Tech or FSU in my opinion) and Maryland has long been rumored as a target of the Big 10 and you have a situation where one name brand league has gotten lazy and regional - ala the old SWC - and another league has awaken from it's slumber and been proactive in expansion and in positioning itself to get maximum $$ and exposure for TV.

WVU may decide for their own reasons to jump to the ACC - I just don't think its a slam dunk and IMHO the chances are greater that they'd stay then leave.

Rabble Rouser

Seriously, can't we combine all these random thoughts into one thread? Or maybe have a conference realignment forum????

I had a specific question that I wanted to discuss and it's not like the forum is that busy today. Heck there are still topics on page 1 that haven't had a post since 6am. If you don't want to discuss a topic don't click on it, pretty simple.

mtmedlin

No, USF would not go to the ACC, were smart enough to wait and get a larger BE contract...and no, you cant replace USF with a POS like UCF.

Genbukan

The guys on Rivals radio (the bozo's that are on in between Bill King and Jack Arute/Mike Leach) said they thought USF would be invited to the ACC if Florida State left.

Most of the rumors I've heard is that WVU would be targeted.

mtmedlin

I doubt that there would be interest. USF is a tier 1 research school which is something they desire but a team like Pitt which is AAU would be available and has an equal market with a better rivalry with teams that are there.

USF is simply too young to have any history with ACC teams, but were building one with Miami and Fl State. If the ACC was smart, "if" they lose FSU, they immediately invite Pitt, WV and Cuse to go to 14.... problem is, I dont think anybody will jump. The ACC is in a bad position with such a low contract. I only see the BE getting stronger.

my guess is at this time, the SEC gets 2 teams, the BE gets 3, the Pac12 gets some and the ACC isnt affected at all.

PurplePutt

BC has a BE standing offer too. Think they might to come back for more money? I think the BE, because of the impending TV deal and being better positioned for B12-12 defectors, is in much better shape to take ACC schools than vice versa. 2 cents.

Trelvis

If its all about TV contracts like everyone says, then the Big East will be just fine. They have some of the biggest media markets in the country. Personally I think WVU would be stupid to leave and thats not just me wearing purple glasses.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan

So what you're really saying is TCU should take up the B12-2s offer if they call and FOR SURE don't count on you guys to keep the BE going...Nice to know what we're getting into over there. Thanks for the heads-up.

AggieAngst

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CHOCK FULLA MANURE!!

No way WVU says yes to ACC and forfeits a potential 8 million dollars a year in the Big East. The ACC contract unfortunately still has another very very long and ominous 10 years to run so WVU would be jumping into a cement coffin for the next 10 years. FINANCIALLY WHY WOULD THEY DO SOMETHING THAT GALACTICALLY STUPID?

The biggest thing the Big East has going for it is that it's contract is being negotiated at the perfect time during all this re alignment and the bidding could get very crazy with all the scenarios running around out there.

The worst thing the ACC has is that their contract has a very burdensome, ill-timed, and terribly inferior contract that has a depressing 10 more years to run before it can be renegotiated. If KANSAS MIZZOU and KSU come
aboard the Big East, any eam leaving the Big East for the ACC would be throwing away 8-10 million dollars a year for the next 10 years, which would be a grand total of 80-100 million dollars in lost revenue.

No school in the Big East is going to flush that kind of money down the toilet in this economy, for some obscure
concept of "possible academic improvement" or some kind of marginally better "prestige" that in actuality is laughable.

That so-called "prestige" of the ACC teams would do
exactly what for ACC teams on the field vs Tcu? Please tell us all what the foolish ACC "prestige" did for WAKE vs bottom feeder last place laughingstock BAYLOR when Baylor whipped a pathetic WAKE. What does your foolish"prestige" do for DUKE football? They are the
biggest laughingstock in all of college football. UNC is now a shambles (due to cheating) as is NCState.

Maryland and Vieginia are also laughingstock teams.
MIAMI sucks and so does BC. BOISE ST beat VaTech so they don't impress me at all. It appears VaTech merely
feasts on weaklings in the ACC but can't beat anyone good.

AIR FORCE from the non-BCS Mtn West Conf was the 4th place team in that Conf - but still beat the everlivin SNOT outta GaTech. How'd that "ACC prestige" work out for GaTech? Blahahahahahaha.

FLORIDA ST is the only decent team in your league but they will be leaving for the SEC so that will leave nothing but MANURE in the ACC for football.

With the impending loss of FlaSt from the ACC the ACC will be TOTAL CRAP and Big East teams will see that. They ain't stupid enough to not only go to a CRAP LEAGUE but also forfeit $80 million dollars.

Sorry - no team is that dam dumb.

You sir.....are a moron.

helcap

I have a good friend who is a big Florida supporter(some may say booster) who when I asked him earlier this week about FSU joining the SEC, he indicated that the U of F would fight that tooth and nail. Then their is this from an article today in the NY Times, the second article I have seen this

The A.C.C. is nervous that Slive will snatch a marquee university, even with the understanding among SEC presidents that the league would not add a university from a state that already includes an SEC team — which would seem to rule out Florida State.

This of course would also rule out Clemson. But why ruin a good Doomsday scenario. Another line in pretty funny, if painful

Only in this era of college sports could a university like Texas A&M prompt potential seismic changes in the landscape. Consider that the Aggies’ last Big 12 title in football was in 1998 and their lone bowl victory since 1995 came in the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl. But as they walk the plank to be devoured in the SEC — hello, Louisiana State, Alabama and Auburn — at least Texas A&M’s leaders can revel in having the college sports world breathlessly follow them for a few days in August.

Thanks Casey Printers!

NY Times