• The KillerFrogs

Idaho Statesman: Mountain West wants to modify non-AQ revenue distribution equation

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Idaho Statesman: Mountain West wants to modify non-AQ revenue distribution equation

BY CHADD CRIPE - ccripe@idahostatesman.com

The Mountain West Conference's share of Bowl Championship Series revenue isn't likely to increase unless it receives automatic-qualifier status.

The BCS revenue-sharing agreement assigns 9 percent of revenue to the five conferences that don't receive an automatic bid to one of the five lucrative bowls. Those conferences receive another 9 percent if one of their members qualifies for a BCS bowl. Last year, each 9 percent share was worth $12.36 million.

The agreement does not stipulate how the money is distributed. The five conferences must reach a consensus on that, which makes Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson's preference that the qualifying team's conference receive nearly all of the revenue a non-starter.

The result is that the six automatic-qualifying conferences received at least $21.2 million from the BCS last year and the Mountain West, home of Rose Bowl champion and No. 2 TCU, received $12.75 million.

"That's just fundamentally not right," Thompson said. ...

PurplFrawg

Administrator
The result is that the six automatic-qualifying conferences received at least $21.2 million from the BCS last year and the Mountain West, home of Rose Bowl champion and No. 2 TCU, received $12.75 million.

"That's just fundamentally not right," Thompson said. ...

So to prove what is fundamentally right, the MWC rewarded TCU by moving a TCU home game to Boise, Idaho. I hope we put a spanking on the Broncos like we did to Utah in SLC. That would be so satisfying...

Kaiser

I think anyone can agree that the conference who secures the non-aq bid deserves a disproportionate share of that money. Probably 90% or more, if not all of it.

Kaiser

and yet I suspect that you won't even find two conferences that agree with that thinking.

laugh.gif

I should've said any disinterested persons or parties.

halfwaytoheaven

I think anyone can agree that the conference who secures the non-aq bid deserves a disproportionate share of that money. Probably 90% or more, if not all of it.

College administrators are funny people, though. Give them the choice between a steady, evenly shared revenue stream and feast-or-famine based on performance, most of them are going to choose the former. Makes budgeting easier, apparently. The MWC (and it's new WAC recruits) have done well in recent years, but a couple seasons shut out of the BCS while some CUSA teams reap the rewards would make Thompson's plan look pretty short-sighted.

joejordan

College administrators are funny people, though. Give them the choice between a steady, evenly shared revenue stream and feast-or-famine based on performance, most of them are going to choose the former. Makes budgeting easier, apparently. The MWC (and it's new WAC recruits) have done well in recent years, but a couple seasons shut out of the BCS while some CUSA teams reap the rewards would make Thompson's plan look pretty short-sighted.
Great post.