• The KillerFrogs

"How is Minnesota ranked?"

IamFroglash88

I was listening to serious XM channel 91 this morning. They were talking about Minnesota and they said they do not deserve to be ranked. One of the guys on the show said that they were ranked six spots too high.

Did anyone else hear this this morning? I had to get out of the car and go to work. Who was speaking on that show this morning?

indiangrass

Greg McElroy was the one who said Minnesota should not be ranked. Taylor Zarzour has them in 25 but closer to 25. McElroy is a Bama/SEC homer and is hammering away at TCU because head to head should trump all else. Don't try to find logic in McElroy's arguments. He often builds circular arguments.

frog-hat

indiangrass said:
Greg McElroy was the one who said Minnesota should not be ranked. Taylor Zarzour has them in 25 but closer to 25. McElroy is a Bama/SEC homer and is hammering away at TCU because head to head should trump all else. Don't try to find logic in McElroy's arguments. He often builds circular arguments.
He's not smart enough to even close the circle.  His are more like spirals.

West Coast Johnny

It's because they've won most of their games and have one good win versus Nebraska and one okay win versus Iowa.  What would Minnesota's record be if they played a Big 12 schedule?  Losses to Kansas State, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, West Virginia and probably Texas.  Wins versus Kansas, TT, & Iowa State and OSU.

SwissArmyFrog

indiangrass said:

Again, ignoring the obvious.  There are MANY, many, many situations where 2 closely ranked teams played, and Team A lost to Team B, but Team B follows that with a loss to a more lighly regarded team and falls below Team A.  It is not as though Baylor is undefeated and ranked below TCU.  The character of the TCU - Baylor game is looked at in combination with Baylor's loss to West Virginia.

I can certainly understand the argument that Baylor should be ranked ahead of TCU, but to me it holds little water due to WVU. 

McElroy is making an argument that is about as thin as a piece of rice paper if he leaves out the WVU factor.  If he doesn't leave WVU out, and still thinks Baylor should be ahead of us, history shows that the current situation is very common, and his argument really doesn't have a lot of merit.

If he says Minny should not be ranked, that seals the deal for his credibility as an analyst.  You can argue a little higher/lower, but to say they shouldn't be ranked at all?  Ridiculous.

SwissArmyFrog

Big Frog II said:
Way too many talking heads and opinions.  Everyone is trying to advocate for their school.

Assuming McElroy is pro-Bama, why on earth would he be rabid about a team on the fringes getting in our out of the top 4?  Odd.  Misplaced sense of justice?  Fear of TCU taking greater than fear of MSU, Oregon or FSU?  Doubtful on the latter.

indiangrass

Both of them were arguing that Ohio State beating Wisconsin tips the scales and puts them at 4 because of the quality of the opponent in their final game. They ignore that Baylor will be playing a higher ranked K State on the same day (assuming all win out). They just don't want TCU or Baylor in.

jake102

indiangrass said:
Both of them were arguing that Ohio State beating Wisconsin tips the scales and puts them at 4 because of the quality of the opponent in their final game. They ignore that Baylor will be playing a higher ranked K State on the same day (assuming all win out). They just don't want TCU or Baylor in.

Unfortunately for Baylor, there's NO way they are passing Ohio State if both win out. Both have basically identical games to end the year.

Baylor really needs two teams to lose.... and that's going under the assumption that they will jump TCU. If you aren't under that assumption then they need three losses.

indiangrass

I agree. I think Mississippi State slides behind all 3 because of the conference champion ctriteria. TCU, Ohio State, Baylor stay in their current order.

Latest posts