• The KillerFrogs

How does the MWC share bowl revenue compared to the Big East?

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I know that bowl revenue sharing is not equal between conferences but in the 2008-2009 season the bowl pools were the following for the MWC and BE:

CSU - 750,000
BYU - 750,000
TCU - 750,000
AF - 600,000
Utah - 17,000,000
Total - 19,850,000

WV - 1,000,000
Rut - 300,000
Pitt - 1,900,000
Cinci - 17,000,000
Uconn - 750,000
Total - 20,950,000

Utah did not get 17 million. The nonAQ qualifier only receives a partial share of BCS money, like TCU did last year.

HornedFrog4Life

I know that bowl revenue sharing is not equal between conferences but in the 2008-2009 season the bowl pools were the following for the MWC and BE:

CSU - 750,000
BYU - 750,000
TCU - 750,000
AF - 600,000
Utah - 17,000,000
Total - 19,850,000

WV - 1,000,000
Rut - 300,000
Pitt - 1,900,000
Cinci - 17,000,000
Uconn - 750,000
Total - 20,950,000

Where did yo confirm that Utah/MWC received $19M? That is twice as much as what TCU received for their BCS game last year? Is it because Utah was the only non-AQ to qualify? Curious what the distribution was the year Utah was in Sugar for Alabama and Florida? Did both of them receive $17M?

An-Cap Frog

Utah did not get 17 million. The nonAQ qualifier only receives a partial share of BCS money, like TCU did last year.
I tried to explain in my disclaimer that these were the total bowl payouts not the shares...

Does the payout get split between bowl participants? Meaning AF vs UH for $750,000 so each team gets $375,000?

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I am confused. What is inaccurate? That the Sugar Bowl did not payout $17 million?

Not to Utah they didn't. Only to Alabama. The nonAQ automatic qualifier does not earn a full share. The only schools that get a full BCS share are the 6 AQ champions. The nonAQ qualifier (when there is one) gets roughly 6 million (like TCU did last year), and all of the at-large teams get 4.5 million. Those numbers will go up this year with the new TV deal. Additionally, the money earned from the BCS by the nonAQ schools is divided among all the nonAQ conferences (50+ schools, see my post above), rather than just the schools in the conference.

An-Cap Frog

Not to Utah they didn't. Only to Alabama. The nonAQ automatic qualifier does not earn a full share. The only schools that get a full BCS share are the 6 AQ champions. The nonAQ qualifier (when there is one) gets roughly 6 million (like TCU did last year), and all of the at-large teams get 4.5 million. Those numbers will go up this year with the new TV deal. Additionally, the money earned from the BCS by the nonAQ schools is divided among all the nonAQ conferences (50+ schools, see my post above), rather than just the schools in the conference.

Correct? Utah got $6 - 'Bama got $11 total payout was $17? Are we talking about the same thing?

HornedFrog4Life

Here is another good article from the payouts of last year that spells it out.. In the earlier comparison from G. Will, the $17M would have been split among 5 conferences in some agreed to formula. Therefore, the Big East would actually receive significantly more than his comparison shows.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/64647

An-Cap Frog

I think I am trying to make the point that the only difference between the MWC and BE bowl payouts is that the BE gets a bigger share of BCS money because it is an AQ conference. If the MWC were able to negotiate a better take of the MCS pool with TCU/BSU in the mix then would there be less of an incentive to jump to the BE?

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Correct? Utah got $6 - 'Bama got $11 total payout was $17? Are we talking about the same thing?

No.

Each AQ champ got a full share. 17.7 million. That's what Alabama got.
Utah, as the nonAQ qualifier, got around 6 million.
In the Rose Bowl, for instance, both the Big 10 champ and the Pac 10 champ get a full share. Should either Boise or TCU go there this year, we won't.

That's the inequity of the system. One of them, anyways. Even when one of the 'little guys' reaches the mountain top, his pot of gold is smaller.

An-Cap Frog

I think I understand now. The $17 for the Sugar, which was made-up I guess, just happened to be the same as the BCS AQ share...I think that was messing me up...

An-Cap Frog

Historically, the MWC has participated in bowls that roughly equate to BE bowls but the AQ status effects the payout percentage...I think this year the case can be made that the MWC/WAC deserves more than the ACC/BE...

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I think I understand now. The $17 for the Sugar, which was made-up I guess, just happened to be the same as the BCS AQ share...I think that was messing me up...

I do need to make one correction, though. In the Sugar Bowl that year, neither team earned a full share. Alabama was an at-large team, so they got only 4.5 million. The SEC's full share of BCS money came from Florida's appearance in the title game.

An-Cap Frog

I do need to make one correction, though. In the Sugar Bowl that year, neither team earned a full share. Alabama was an at-large team, so they got only 4.5 million. The SEC's full share of BCS money came from Florida's appearance in the title game.

One of those links said that the agreement was approved in 2004, I wonder when the payout percentages are re-negotiated and if the MWC/WAC will have more of a say in the percentage that those conferences would receive...well I guess just the MWC. Based on BCS appearances maybe the MWC can obtain a more equitable share without the BCS giving away the AQ...

HoustonHornedFrog

Correct. The big problem is the misconception that most people have, which is fostered by the BCS bowls, that the BCS bowls pay out a set amount to the teams that are participating in those bowls the way that the other bowls do. They don't. The money comes mostley from the TV contract which is for all 5 bowls. The money all goes into a big pot and gets distributed according to the formula set out in the BCS agreement. The money is paid to the conferences (not to the teams) and the conferences split it up according to their own formulas.

Latest posts