• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Women's Track Crowned 2012 Mountain West Champions

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/c-track/recaps/051212aae.html

Horned Frog Women Crowned 2012 Mountain West Champions

Head Coach Darryl Anderson was named Mountain West Women's Coach of the Year.

RESULTS | HIGHLIGHTS |
media-icon-photogallery.gif
PHOTO GALLERY

USAFA, Colo. - The TCU women's team closed the 2012 Mountain West Outdoor Track & Field Championships in style Saturday, claiming the program's first-ever women's conference outdoor team-title on a banner day for the Horned Frogs at the Cadet Outdoor Track & Field Complex.

With the win, the women captured their second-straight Mountain West team-title after bringing home the trophy during the indoor season. Saturday's victory also marked the highest finish in the Mountain West since earning runner-up honors in 2010. In all, the women finished with 147 points, while Colorado State claimed second-place honors with 135 points. On the men's side, TCU placed fourth overall with 127 points. Air Force won the men's championship with 189.5 points.

Following the meet, head coach Darryl Anderson was named the Mountain West Women's Coach of the Year. Overall, the Horned Frogs won 11 individual titles throughout the weekend.

"Anytime you win a championship, it feels good for everyone involved," said Anderson. "We came out today and the sun started shining, so I knew we were going to have a good day, which we did. When you win a championship indoors, everyone is going to be gunning for you and I thought that UNLV and Colorado State had really good weekend's. All-in-all, I am so proud of how the women competed today."

In the women's 100 meters, Lorraine Ugen blasted the competition, clocking a personal and seasonal-best time of 11.35 seconds to claim championship accolades with the third-best time in Mountain West Championship history. Chaniqua Corinealdi followed in second-place with a time of 11.43 seconds. Veronica Jones rounded out the TCU scoring in the event with a sixth-place showing. With the win, the Horned Frogs have now won six 100-meter titles in seven years, while Ugen's time currently ranks No. 16 in the NCAA and sits as the eighth-fastest time ever recorded in program history.

"I didn't know how it was going to go, but I am ecstatic," said Ugen. "I just want to thank my coaches Nic Petersen and Darryl Anderson for helping me get to this point and record a big personal-best today."
On the men's side, junior Charles Silmon won his third-straight title with a time of 10.25 seconds. Mark Barnes and Ramone Bailey followed in third and fourth-place, respectively. In all, Silmon tied for the second-fastest time in MW Championship history and is the first-ever Mountain West student-athlete to three-peat as conference champion in the men's 100 meters.

Corinealdi came back in the women's 200 and posted TCU's second-straight outdoor title in the event, recording a time of 24.01 to capture gold medal accolades. The win for Corinealdi marked her first conference outdoor crown in the event.

"It felt really good to get the win in the 200 and score 10 points for the team," said Corinealdi.
In the men's 200 meters, Barnes led the way for the Purple and White, garnering runner-up honors, while Narada Jackson and OJ Stoneham finished in third and fourth, respectively.

Quinterra Charles came up huge for TCU in the women's 400 Saturday, posting a personal-best time of 53.54 seconds to earn her first conference outdoor crown. Charles' time currently ranks No. 9 all-time in program history and sits in the top-50 in the NCAA this spring.

"I am just happy that I was able to help the team out and get the victory. This feels really good," said Charles.

In the women's 100-meter hurdles, Larissa Matthews earned her second gold medal of her career and first since 2010, posting a time of 13.67 seconds.

"I definitely didn't get the start that I wanted, but I was able to accelerate through the middle of the race and bounce back after last season," said Matthews.

Probably the biggest mark of the day belonged to junior Cameron Parker, who won the men's triple jump for a second-straight year with a personal-best leap of 52 feet, 4 ½ inches. In all, Parker soared to the 13[sup]th[/sup]-best leap in the NCAA this spring and the sixth-best jump in program history. He is only the fourth student-athlete ever in Mountain West history to repeat as champion in the men's triple jump and only the second Horned Frog ever to accomplish the feat, joining former Frog Jonathan Jackson.
"This feels great," said Parker. "I had just watched the men's 4x100 win, so I knew that I had to bring a championship back to the team as well. I didn't want to let anyone down and I wanted to score as many points as I could for us."

Cameron Tabor was just as impressive in the men's shot, winning gold medal accolades with a throw of 58 feet, 4 ½ inches. With the win, Tabor claimed the program's first men's outdoor shot put title since former Frog great Jordy Reynolds won the SWC in 1992. Paul Osunwa followed in third-place. On the women's side, freshman Megan Smith earned runner-up accolades with a new personal-best throw of 51 feet, 3 inches. Smith's toss currently sits in the top-five in the all-time top-10.

"I am happy that I was able to win my first outdoor title and close my Mountain West career with both an indoor and outdoor title," said Tabor. "Overall, it was a pretty good day for us in the throws."

The men's 4x100 of Skye Dawson, Silmon, Stoneham and Barnes opened the day, clocking a time of 39.69 to win first-place accolades with the fourth-fastest time in championship history. With the win, the quartet kept alive an impressive streak as the Frogs have never lost a 4x100 in the Mountain West.
The women's 4x100 was just as dangerous, crossing the finish line in first overall with a seasonal-best time of 44.81. The quartet, which consisted of Whitney Gipson, Corinealdi, Veronica Jones and Ugen, clocked the fifth-fastest time in MW championship history.

Both the men and women's 4x400 closed the day earning runner-up accolades.

Other highlights on the day included, senior Jack O'Brien garnering third-place honors in the men's 800 with a time of 1:52.53, while Briyanni Thomas collected a silver medal on the women's side in the 800.
TCU will have a week off before returning to action at the NCAA West Preliminary Rounds in Austin on May 24-26.