TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/022815aaa.html

TCU Prevails Over K-State on Senior Day, 67-47
Horned Frogs knock down 12 3-pointers in victory
Final Stats |  Quotes |  Photo Gallery 
media-icon-photogallery.gif
| Highlights

FORT WORTH, Texas - Zahna Medley led a hot-shooting TCU women's basketball team to a 67-47 senior day victory over Kansas State on Saturday afternoon at the University Recreation Center.

The Horned Frogs improved to 17-11 overall and 9-8 in Big 12 action, setting a new program record for Big 12 victories. TCU closed out the regular-season home slate with its fifth-straight victory in the friendly confines of the Recreation Center for a 14-3 mark this season.

Medley tallied 14 of her game-high 18 points in the first half while connecting on four 3-pointers in the opening 20 minutes to help lead the Horned Frogs to a 30-16 advantage at the break.

Senior Chelsea Prince was also a vital part of TCU's 14-point halftime lead, swiping five steals in the first half to help limit K-State to the 10th-fewest points in the first half in program history. The Fort Worth native moved past TCU great Sandora Irvin for fifth-place all-time with 225 career steals.

Medley gave TCU its first double-digit advantage (14-4) when she connected on back-to-back trifectas at the 14:06 mark.

The junior guard struck for the fourth time beyond the arc to push the Frogs ahead 27-12 with 6:05 remaining.

TCU would go without a field goal for the remainder of the first half but still hold a 14-point advantage at the break due to a 28-percent shooting effort from the Wildcats.

The Frogs opened the second half on fire, quickly forcing a K-State timeout when Ventress connected on her second 3-pointer and Aiche Ndao followed with a layup for a 35-16 advantage.

Prince would join the 3-point party nearly two minutes later to push TCU to its largest advantage at that point with a 35-16 lead with 17:11 remaining.

The Wildcats cut the TCU lead to 14 points before Prince snapped the five-minute scoring drought by finding junior Veja Hamilton in the paint for a layup.

Senior guard Donielle Breaux, Ventress and freshman AJ Alix would all strike again from 3-point range, using a 20-6 run to take a 58-30 lead with five minutes left to play.

Sophomore Jada Butts become the sixth Horned Frog to drain a bucket from downtown with 4:20 remaining for a 61-33 lead.

The Frogs shot 55 percent (23-of-42) from the field and connected on 12 3-pointers on 19 attempts (63 percent), while limiting the Wildcats to a 31 percent (16-of-52) effort from the field.

Ventress and Breaux both scored nine points in their final regular-season home contest, while Butts and Hamilton added seven points apiece.
The Frogs close out the regular season at 7 p.m., on Tuesday against Texas in Austin.

++++++++++

TCU vs. K-State Postgame Quotes

Kansas State head coach Jeff Mittie
Opening statement
"We had trouble playing catch-up all day. You're not going to beat them shooting 30 percent. They are too explosive offensively. We just had to play catch up today."

On the team's execution on both sides of the floor
"Well, in the first half I thought we needed to be more committed to getting out there, and we had some breakdowns. It was a tale of two teams, for every two or three they made we had an air ball. It just wasn't a good day for us."

On where TCU took advantage for good
"I honestly felt like in the first half we were getting decent shots. But I think we got frustrated when we couldn't make them and TCU's confidence grew. We made some runs occasionally, but we never pushed the envelope and made any true runs to get back at them."

On how some of his former TCU players fared
"If you want to take a look at what they've been good at, Chelsea's been one of the best defenders they have had. Ventress has been a great scorer, and she didn't take a ton o shots today but she can shoot it real well. Donielle had a good game. You hope seniors play well on Senior Night and they played well."

TCU head coach Raegan Pebley
Opening statement
"Great way for our seniors to have their final game. I know a lot of people thought it was awkward being K-State, but that's pretty special, when you see players you were engaged with for three years and through the recruiting process and be there for that day. The seniors deserved for it to work out well. Jeff (Mittie) raised them to be great student-athletes and great leaders, and I'm thankful for what he left behind. As far as the game goes, it was a 45-point improvement from the last time we played them. We adjusted the defense to be a zone team, and I was glad to see that. I was concerned about their zone, and they have shooters. I was really proud of our post defense tonight. We contained Ashia Woods and Breanna Lewis and that was key to our defensive efforts."

On how the team rebounded from its first game at Kansas State
"We talked about how we played them the first time on too much emotion and not enough with roles in our system. That game was important because we needed to learn from it. Zahna did a great job at taking open shots and found shots to her teammates. Noonie played active on defense. Chelsea had five steals in the first half. I loved seeing our team play to its identity."

TCU guard Natalie Ventress
On her three-point strengths that played into the game
"According to Coach Pebley, shooting the three is important for every game because if I get it I have to shoot it, and if I don't shoot I get in trouble. It's one of my stronger points and when I'm open I'm going to shoot it."

On playing against the coach she was under for three years
"Well, we came into this game thinking it was just another game we needed to win. Because Mittie was on the other side we didn't let our emotions get in the way, and it was senior night so we saved our emotions for the end of the game. I loved it, it was nice."

On how the team gets its spark
"Coach Pebley tells us to play with joy, and if we don't have it we won't play well at all."

TCU guard Zahna Medley
On her consistent shooting throughout the day
"I think just confidence and having my feet set and being ready to shoot the ball, as well as having an offensive mind. That's what helped."

On if she was extra motivated on Senior Day, even though she is a junior
"Yeah of course, I'm going to play my tail off to make sure my seniors get a win. I have a senior here (Natalie Ventress) who was my host and made me want to come here, and I wanted to do my best to get the win."

Latest posts