GoFrogs: TCU Falls to No. 3 Baylor, 89-67

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/012715aaa.html

TCU Falls to No. 3 Baylor, 89-67

Veja Hamilton leads Horned Frogs in scoring with 15 points

Stats |  Quotes |  Photo Gallery 
media-icon-photogallery.gif

FORT WORTH, Texas - Three Horned Frogs scored in double figures in an 89-67 loss to No. 3 Baylor on Tuesday evening at the University Recreation Center.

Junior guard Veja Hamilton led TCU in scoring for the fifth time this season with 15 points off a 7-of-12 effort from the field, hitting double figures for the ninth-straight game.

Senior forward Chelsea Prince tallied 13 points and four steals, while sophomore center Klara Bradshaw set career highs in Big 12 action of 10 points, seven rebounds and four blocks in just 12 minutes.

The Horned Frogs (12-7, 4-4) shot 40 percent (23-of-57) from the field and were 17-of-21 from the free-throw line, but struggled against the size of the Lady Bears as Baylor racked up 60 points in the paint.

TCU played with high intensity in front of the packed crowd from the start, forcing a quick Baylor timeout when senior guard Natalie Ventress knocked down a 3-pointer following a steal in the backcourt to tie the contest at 7-7.

The Frogs answered the ensuing 8-0 Baylor run as Hamilton connected on back-to-back jumpers before grabbing a steal and dishing to sophomore forward Jada Butts to push within two at 20-18 with 13:18 remaining in the opening half.

TCU would twice pull within one down the stretch in the first half on jumpers from Butts and Hamilton, and Prince would answer another Baylor run with a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to 35-30 at the 5:34 mark.

The Lady Bears (19-1, 8-0) then built a 12-3 run for a 12-point advantage en route to a 46-34 halftime lead.

Prince trimmed the deficit down to single digits at 49-40 with a jumper two minutes into the second half before the Lady Bears outscored TCU 14-4 over the next four minutes for the comfortable lead.

The Horned Frogs return to action to play host to No. 14 Texas at noon on Sunday at the University Recreation Center.

++++++++++

TCU vs. Baylor Postgame Quotes

TCU head coach Raegan Pebley
Opening Statement
"Baylor did a great job of winning the paint. They had a lot of second chance opportunities and we don't see many teams who get more attempt shots then we do and when that happens its usually because of the offensive rebounds. Our first position defense was solid, but second defense position put us in crisis mode."

On Baylor:
"They're a great team but we believe in who we are and what we are growing to be and I am very proud of our team."

On Baylor's run to end first half with Nina Davis on bench:
"Nina is an excellent player but they have a lot of great players who make them work and aren't solely dependent on her. One of Baylor's strengths is their depth and when they make a substitution it is not a big dip that happens because they have depth."

On the play of Klara Bradshaw:
"Klara's most confident game of the season. It was nice to see her move her feet and wanting to get the ball and the emotion she played with and she plays better when you tap into that emotional edge."

Sophomore center Klara Bradshaw
On if performance is a confidence boost:
"I was out there to serve my team and playing better is a confidence boost as well and when they play well it's also a confidence boost. My mindset coming into this game was play the best I can, there is nothing to lose."

Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey
Opening statement
"We knew they would change their offense, and we are playing that style. We thought we could expose them on the inside. They both had double figures, and they played more of a five-guard offense that would spread the floor in transition. We did that. We got into foul trouble in the first half and Nina [Davis] had to sit out."

On the role the post players had
"It is big. A lot of the things we do, Nina is involved offensively. I had no doubt the other post players, and we emphasized it, that our post game should dominate. They're big, and I think their big girl, Klara Bradshaw, had a career night for herself."

On defending TCU's primary offensive weapons
"I thought the job we did on Medley was important. The kid can shoot the 3-ball effectively, and we defended that. I thought Hamilton was lighting it up on fire and Prince. I thought our defense collapsed to the ball every time they had to drive, and we had someone helping."

Baylor post Suni Agbuke
On her own performance
"They were attacking, and they were really quick. I just relied on my guards to help me. Niya [Johnson] took a charge more than one time when I got beat. I don't think I played particularly great out there, but I had some good teammates to help me out."

Baylor post Khadijiah Cave
On the players' perspective of guarding TCU's new offense
"The transition was done really well, and I knew we could get inside with the height advantage. We worked on that a lot in practice, so when we had the mismatch we would bring the guard in for the mismatch."