• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Baker Remains NCAA 60 Meter Champion

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-itrack/recaps/031216aab.html

Baker Remains NCAA 60 Meter Champion

Final Results

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Ronnie Baker defended his NCAA 60 meter title in record fashion on Saturday.
In a neck and neck race, Baker ran a world-leading time of 6.47 to take home gold at the 2016 NCAA Division I Indoor Track & Field Championships.

“6.47 puts Ronnie on a whole other level,” said director of track and field Darryl Anderson. “It was an outstanding race.”

Baker’s time of 6.47 shattered the NCAA Championship meet record of 6.51, which was set by Clemson’s Jacoby Ford in 2009. His time also surpassed Jamaica’s Asafa Powell (6.49) on the 2016 world list and is the fastest low-altitude time in NCAA history.

Houston’s Cameron Burrell followed closely, coming up short with the world’s second-fastest time at 6.48. This historic finish was the first time that two athletes ran sub-6.50 in a single NCAA race.
“We knew it was going to be close. Ronnie did a great job keeping his composure and accelerating through the finish line."

The TCU senior from Louisville, Ky. will be bringing home gold in the 60 meters for the second-straight year. His mark secured the third 60-meter title for the Horned Frogs and the 21st overall in program history.

Following Baker’s victory, TCU has won an individual national championship in each of the last five years. It’s the eighth under Anderson at TCU.

“I’m happy for these individual kids. I tell them if they work hard and listen, they will have an opportunity to be good. Ronnie has done that.”

Baker garnered his tenth career All-America honor with Saturday’s win.

“I’m proud of him. He’s really had an outstanding career up to this point.”

Senior Sam Watts also picked up First-Team All-America honors as he placed seventh in the men’s 200-meter dash finals at 22.06.

In all, the men’s team finished 18th with 12 points.

“Anytime you can be in the top 20 nationally, it’s a good thing. Now we’re off to the outdoor season.”

The Frogs will jump right back into action as they open the outdoor season by hosting the TCU Invitational at the Lowdon Track and Field Complex on Thursday and Friday, March 17-18.