• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Touchy Patterson sees rival's praise as damnation

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Touchy Patterson sees rival's praise as damnation

By Big Steaming Pile
tengel@ star-telegram.com

Everybody from TCU to SMU, and all local sports hacks, should send a thank you to Gary Patterson within the next year. When was the last time we circled a TCU-SMU game on the calendar? FYI: It is Sept. 29, 2012, in Dallas.

GP's carefully thought-out criticisms of the officials, SMU and SMU coach June Jones was not some knee-jerk overreaction immediately after a 40-33 OT loss. GP waited until Tuesday before unleashing his words during his weekly press luncheon. Every time the questions drifted in a different direction, he brought all of us in the room back on point.

What GP wanted to talk about breathed life into a rivalry usually punctured with, "Our country club dues are higher than yours!" or "Let's settle this at the next Junior League meeting." ...

tcuhf93

One thing I have noticed about the FWST writers. They admonish Patterson when he speaks out. When he says nothing, they criticize him for that as well.

Galloway is a perfect example. He was quick to come down on CGP after his Texas Tech tirade a few years ago. Then after the Rose Bowl he complained that Gary wasn't being vocal enough about not being in the National Championship game. He either has too much class or not enough.

Mac, please don't go down this road. He spoke his mind 3 days after the game. I for one, appreciate his candor and could care less how it makes TCU look.

He has tolerated many external injustices this year. Disfavorable treatment from the MWC who took sides with Boise, the disfavorable schedule thanks to Texas Tech, unenthusiastic fan support who say "next year will be great", and poor officiating by CUSA. And to top it off, I'm sure it looks like SMU has decided to kick TCU like a dog when they are down a little bit.

He has a right to be a little fed up right now and I hope his team follows suit. Mac, consider ALL of the factors involved when you write such a column. "You are better than this."