• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU fans should stop, smell the roses

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU fans should stop, smell the roses

By Gil LeBreton
glebreton@ star-telegram.com

The history. The pageantry. The national spotlight. The recruiting coup.What's not to like about going to the Rose Bowl?

Yet, listen to some of you. You're grasping at hypotheticals. You're screaming at that ESPN fool, Rod Gilmore.

You're like that Dr Pepper commercial. You want it all.

You want Auburn or Oregon to lose. You want Gilmore and Craig James to shut up. You want E. Gordon Gee's head on a stick, bowtie included.

Roses aren't good enough. You want to see undefeated TCU walking the red carpet.

You want it all, but this time, it's truly time to stop and smell the roses. ...

Klaw

Good article and also liked the nugget that we would be the home team.

Would love to see us wear the pro combats.

DougW

Badger fans would agree with you that the BCS is a joke. You'll not find barely any of us defending the current system. A rough guess on my part from viewing threads on the subject over the years would be about 55% for some form of playoff, 40% to go back to old days when the Rose Bowl was always Pac 10 vs. Big 10 and about 5 % for the current system.

Put me down in the 40%. A big part of my reasoning is there just isn't another bowl like the Rose Bowl. As crazy and bizzare as this my sound, there is a significant contingent of Badger fans who would rather play in the Rose Bowl than the MNC.

You will absolutely love the Rose Bowl if that ends up your destination. The Bowl does everything right. The parade is great. The half time shows are the marching bands -- and we have a great one by the way -- not some lame effort at "entertainment." The backdrop scenery of the sun setting over the San Gabriel mountains. What foolishness that there were a handful of Badger fans wanting to go to the Sugar Bowl for a change -- yeah, go sit a fricken dome to watch a football game instead.

Doug W

macaroni

As crazy and bizzare as this my sound, there is a contingent of Badger fans who would rather play in the Rose Bowl than the MNC.

This is actually kinda how I feel, although I'm thrilled with either opportunity. I think the Rose Bowl is more "once in a lifetime" for us, because I really don't see many scenarios where the Rose would invite a Big East team in the future. The NC really is a mythical concept anyway without a playoff, but the Rose Bowl is pure college football magic and the one major bowl TCU has never been to.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
As crazy and bizzare as this my sound, there is a significant contingent of Badger fans who would rather play in the Rose Bowl than the MNC.

Old school Badgers who remember when the bowls on NY Day were exciting and meant something, when several teams had a chance at the MNC title.

Gunner

Noticed "LSU Gil" never mentioned the BCS Briles system. That's because his beloved SEC wants us to be happy, "just to be playing with the big boys". That's the way he thinks.

To heck with roses, let's play for the NC.......

EXPECT TO BE GREAT!

Gunner

Noticed "LSU Gil" never mentioned the BCS Briles system. That's because his beloved SEC wants us to be happy, "just to be playing with the big boys". That's the way he thinks.

To heck with roses, let's play for the NC.......

EXPECT TO BE GREAT!