• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Reality check: This is the best stretch of TCU basketball ever. Don’t take it for granted

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Reality check: This is the best stretch of TCU basketball ever. Don’t take it for granted

By Steven Johnson

USATSI_22765446.jpg

On Selection Sunday, the TCU Horned Frogs expect to hear their name called for the NCAA Tournament for the third straight season, something that’s never been done in program history.

It’s another milestone for coach Jamie Dixon who continues to try to build TCU into a top-25 college basketball program.

Prior to Dixon’s arrival in 2016, the Horned Frogs made the expanded field just twice since the NCAA expanded its tournament to 64 teams in 1985.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article286738765.html#storylink=cpy

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...ll-ever-don-t-take-it-for-granted/ar-BB1jZleM

Last edited:

LVH

Lunardi, Palm, Haslam have us at 10, 8, 9. Torvik says 100%. They are having a watching party tomorrow. We’ll see.
NC State and New Mexico winning plus FAU losing basically took 3 at large bids away today. If Oregon wins that's 4. Won't be surprised if we are in Dayton after today.

Limey Frog

Nobody to blame but themselves after the way they played the second half of the season.

That said, the article makes a good point.
Agree with both points. I'm trying to enjoy mediocrity as a big improvement, but when you get yourselves within minutes of better than mediocrity with double digit leads then just turn the ball over repeatedly that is very hard to watch and no one is going to praise you.

Last edited:

froginmn

I think someone could make a case that we should have made a sweet sixteen a couple years ago.

The harsh reality is that unless you're older than 55, the Frogs haven't made the sweet sixteen in your lifetime.

Limey Frog

Both can be true. Yes, this is a historical run of success for TCU basketball but also, it does feel underachieving based upon their talent. This team should have at least made a sweet 16 in the last 3 years.
With six minutes to play in Lubbock we had comparatively simple path to 11 wins, and 12 wasn't completely unrealistic. We managed nine.

TooColdU

Agree with both points. I'm trying to enjoy mediocrity as a big improvement, but when you get yourselves within minutes of better than mediocrity with double digit leads then just turn the ball over repeatedly that is very hard to watch and no one is going to praise you.
Crazy to think that we've never had a winning conference record in the Big 12.

We are mediocre.

SwissArmyFrog

First thing I thought of after reading "the best stretch of TCU basketball ever" was the 2-year run in the mid-80's ('86 and '87, I think) with Jim Killingsworth. 2 conference titles.

3 straight to the NCAA's is great, but something (maybe ignorance of the last 3 years?) goes back to the 80's.

First thing I thought of after reading "the best stretch of TCU basketball ever" was the 2-year run in the mid-80's ('86 and '87, I think) with Jim Killingsworth. 2 conference titles.

3 straight to the NCAA's is great, but something (maybe ignorance of the last 3 years?) goes back to the 80's.

Killer’s 82-83 team lost to Houston 3 times that year, I think by a total of 5 points and that was by far the best Phi Slamma Jamma teams.

JogginFrog

Those Killer teams were solid, but people forget how (outside of Phi Slamma Jamma and 40 Minutes of Hell) the Southwest Conference was a basketball wasteland in the '80s. In 1986 the SWC was a one-bid conference. Tourney winner Texas Tech was a 13 seed.

In '87, 4th-seeded TCU was by far the best the SWC had to offer--and that team lost to Lamar, Fullerton, and Western Kentucky. A&M and Houston lost in the opening round that year as 12 seeds.

The Frogs' victory over Marshall was the only SWC NCAA win in that two-year period.