• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Miller gets start vs. SFA

cdsfrog

Winkler is the best, most consistent pitcher. True last year. True this year. All three starters are excellent. Winkler is the best. That is my opinion having seen all three a lot. Wink is a bulldog. I don't care what numbers you want to throw out. As I said, if he's not the best in your opinion, he's not taking a back seat to anyone. Not last year. Not this year. Not sure Max should either. But Winkler definitely doesn't.

agree. In college duration is HUGE

Houston Frog

#1 starter in my opinion is more important and always will be than a closer. In some cases a #2 starter is to.

I don't think anyone would argue with that

In fact, I'd say that a college team's top 3 starters are more important than the closer. The question though, is whether the 4th starter is more important than the closer. You don't always need a 4th starter in the postseason, but you always need a guy who can come in and shut the other team down in a clutch situation, late in the game.

jake102

And that's by no means a shot at Winkler, I'd feel confident with Winkler on the mound as well.... just not quite as confident as Purke

I guess Winkler is the guy who got tricked into thinking you're not supposed to get outs in Game 3 against UCLA in Omaha.

But I do agree with this statement... Purke seems to perform when stakes are the highest.

cdsfrog

I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at here.

"if you're working off the premise that you throw your best pitcher on Friday then RIGHT NOW you can't even begin to formulate an argument that anyone other than Winkler should be on the mound that day."

never was working on that premise and my question is who would you go with Purke or Winkler.

My choice is Winkler

FROGDADDY

"if you're working off the premise that you throw your best pitcher on Friday then RIGHT NOW you can't even begin to formulate an argument that anyone other than Winkler should be on the mound that day."

never was working on that premise and my question is who would you go with Purke or Winkler.

My choice is Winkler
And I was agreeing with you. Some of you try WAY too hard to find controversy. FWIW, Friday night isn't for guys who pitch deep into games or team leaders, it's for winners. The other two criteria should be inherant in that, but on their own aren't enough.

frogyou

Winkler is the best, most consistent pitcher. True last year. True this year. All three starters are excellent. Winkler is the best. That is my opinion having seen all three a lot. Wink is a bulldog. I don't care what numbers you want to throw out. As I said, if he's not the best in your opinion, he's not taking a back seat to anyone. Not last year. Not this year. Not sure Max should either. But Winkler definitely doesn't.

you can have your own opinion, but i just want to state one last time that purke was the better pitcher last year. now it may make you feel warm and fuzzy deep inside to say wink was better and that is fine, but to say that it is true that wink was better last year just isnt true.

and you can see them all you want and you have seen them throw many more times than i, but that still doesnt change the numbers. purke was more effective last year, case closed.

you can say what you want this year, i think they are pretty even and the stats are very inconclusive due to low innings.

i am going to go out on a limb and say you dont have much use for FIP, WAR, BABIP, etc. either. but man that chris davis looks good out there on the ball field, he should be starting!!!

cdsfrog

And I was agreeing with you. Some of you try WAY too find controversy. FWIW, Friday night isn't for guys who pitch deep into games or team leaders, it's for winners. The other two criteria should be inherant in that, but on their own aren't enough.

no controversy just curious for your opinion, as you like both pitchers. Not trying to be antagonistic, more just curious. Boring day at the office

cdsfrog

you can have your own opinion, but i just want to state one last time that purke was the better pitcher last year. now it may make you feel warm and fuzzy deep inside to say wink was better and that is fine, but to say that it is true that wink was better last year just isnt true.

and you can see them all you want and you have seen them throw many more times than i, but that still doesnt change the numbers. purke was more effective last year, case closed.

you can say what you want this year, i think they are pretty even and the stats are very inconclusive due to low innings.

i am going to go out on a limb and say you dont have much use for FIP, WAR, BABIP, etc. either. but man that chris davis looks good out there on the ball field, he should be starting!!!

I like all this heated debate stuff, keep it coming.

jake102

FWIW, although Maxwell's ERA isn't where it was last year, besides one really bad inning, he has been pretty steady. I like steady. I don't like 5 innings out of a starting pitcher. Especially when I look at box scores at it's Cole at 9 innings, Bauer at 9 innings, Jungmann at 8 innings, etc.

I think there's a lot of value in being able to count on your starter going at least 7, especially in a year where we are a little weaker in the bullpen.

maxmtex

And I was agreeing with you. Some of you try WAY too hard to find controversy. FWIW, Friday night isn't for guys who pitch deep into games or team leaders, it's for winners. The other two criteria should be inherant in that, but on their own aren't enough.

I think Schloss agrees with you, and he judges that criteria frequently. In the past 1.4 seasons, he has changed Friday starter several times: Purke 13 (calling both of his Omaha starts Friday starts), Winkler 6, Maxwell 5. Schloss goes with the guy most likely to win on Friday.

Sangria Wine

I think it's right to try this. I believe it sets us up - potentially - better come post season which is really all that matters. We need a lock down closer to develop. Ideally we need a guy who can get strikeouts to get out of the jams that closers are so often put in to. To be honest the best closer on the team would be Purke but that ain't happening I don't think.

Btw, in the off season the discussion seemed to be that Purke needed to become more efficient in his pitch count and work to get more ground outs early in the count with less emphasis placed on the strikeout because of the elevated pitch counts that ensue with that style. I don't believe the notion that Purke is on a five inning rule like some have mentioned, I just think his pitch count keeps limiting his innings.

Spike

If the announced attendance is north of 200, I'll chuckle.... Just saw a CF shot and there's nobody home.....

It was announced around 3000. There were more than 200, but I suspect less than 1,000. There are always late arrivers, but down 4-0 in that weather several were leaving very early.