• The KillerFrogs

Frog fans

BeYou

Baylor fan here.

I am not here to debate attendance, argue over the old SWC days (before my time), or to cause problems.That is just pointless and stupid.

I am interested in learning more about your team. For the most part I know the basic stuff about TCU.

I was hoping some of y'all would be willing to tell me about your team a little.

I understand you have a strong running game this season. While I could look at stats all day on ESPN, we all know the people that know the most about the team are the true fans.

Does the offense revolve around the run game or through Dalton? What type of defense do y'all play? How do special teams look? Where should I park? Is there visitor tailgating?

I would be willing to do my best to answer any questions you have about the Baylor team too.

Any information would be great; I will be at the game on Saturday and look forward to a hard fought game between both teams. I am excited about the sellout and hope there is 50,00+ ( I am a wishful thinker) While I don't expect the bears to win, I hope that we can compete. Best of luck to TCU in the game on Saturday and for the remaining of the season.

jake102

I was hoping some of y'all would be willing to tell me about your team a little.

We are #4 in the nation, from FW, call ourselves the Horned Frogs (occasionally people say we are horny), our colors are purple and white, the C in our name stands for Christian although some people say construction, cocaine or conservative

I understand you have a strong running game this season. While I could look at stats all day on ESPN, we all know the people that know the most about the team are the true fans.

We have 5 running backs that are all very good. Who knows how many will play. Our offensive line is really good too. Anytime you've got guys named Kirkpatrick, Dooley, Vernon, Cannon and Other Guy it is going to be dominant. Speaking of Cannon, you should check out Dalton's arm.... that boy can throw the ball.

Does the offense revolve around the run game or through Dalton? What type of defense do y'all play? How do special teams look? Where should I park? Is there visitor tailgating?

The offense revolves around Dalton and only Dalton. We realized that it's best to run your offense through one player. The defense is led by Dalton as well as teh special teams. In fact the only player we ever mention is Dalton. We call him AD and tell everybody how good he is. I'd recommend parking in the Subway parking lot on Berry. It's a real steal that nobody knows about... they say they tow, but it's a lie. Visitor tailgating is at Mas Ramblas off of Berry. It's a quality establishment.

I would be willing to do my best to answer any questions you have about the Baylor team too.

What's the odds your quarterback is black, fast, overrated, and overhyped? Did Baylor really burn down TCU when we were located in Waco?

Dtx_Frog_Fan

Welcome to the forum. On offense we are very balanced but so far the run has been used much more this year. Our running game is strong with a committee of very able athletes at that position. Ed Wesley however is so far emerging as the most utilized of the group. Andy Dalton is typically a very reliable quarterback, but had some trouble with two inteceptions in the Oregon St. game in what would have otherwise been a very solid performance. He also have a great group of receivers. Kerley, Young, and Hicks are great receivers, but Skye Dawson and Josh Boyce have done very well this season. Kerley is also very dangerous on returns. Although we have lost Jerry Hughes and Daryl Washington on defense this group is still very stout. Wayne Daniels had two sacks in the OSU game, but didn't register the high tackle numbers that Jerry Hughes had. Based on the Oregon St. game and the 255 yds. given up I'm thinking defensively we will be relying on a strategy with less emphasis on an aggresive pass rush. Although I think this will give Griffin time to let plays develop we have some speed in our secondary. Greg McCoy with his 4.3 40 speed will make it particularly challenging for Griffin to find open targets. We'll find out the net effect of the reduced pass rush and fast seconary come Saturday. If you're coming to the game I hope you enjoy yourself. Best of luck this season after Saturday.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Baylor fan here.

I am not here to debate attendance, argue over the old SWC days (before my time), or to cause problems.That is just pointless and stupid.

I am interested in learning more about your team. For the most part I know the basic stuff about TCU.

Any information would be great; I will be at the game on Saturday and look forward to a hard fought game between both teams. I am excited about the sellout and hope there is 50,00+ ( I am a wishful thinker) While I don't expect the bears to win, I hope that we can compete. Best of luck to TCU in the game on Saturday and for the remaining of the season.

TCU has always relied on a stout defense and a tailback oriented balanced offense as its basic approach. "Balanced" being a 60/40 run to pass mix. Lots of first downs and controlling the clock are always our two tactical goals. We hope to slow down RG III by keeping the ball away from him, resting our defense, and testing yours. Back to the 'O'--some pure triple option plays will be run 6-10 times a game, we use a FB and sometimes two TEs, but the spread formation will be used most of the time, even to include five receivers and an empty backfield on occasion.

The QB is usually among the top three rushers every game especially when the enemy 'D' is all spread out, and we use some fleet end-around plays sprinkled in. The TE has typically been underutilized as a receiver. We have four RBs who could start for your team --seriously -- so a committee running approach will help hide the fact that by game's end 200-275 yards on the ground is being gained. Run action pass plays are, therefore, pretty effective and the deep ball has been added to the inventory the last two years to keep the 'D' honest. Usually only 150-175 passing yards is our average.

The Frog base defensive set is the 4-2-5, using an extra safety and only two LBs. Speed, leverage and the line working somewhat independently of the LBs and DBs is the norm. The intent is to out- man the offense at the point of attack and keep everything in front of and inside the tackler. It's an active, aggressive high risk, high reward style of play. The first goal is to stop the run and make the QB beat us by passing. TCU has had the Number One ranked defense (in fewest total yards allowed) in the country, four times under Patterson including the last two years.

TCU has had the conference's special team MVP at return man for each year we've been in the MWC. The current returner was All American at the position last year. Kickers/punters are proven veterans as well.

TCU, who has always been known for its defense, is fielding the best offensive line-up this season since the LaDanian Tomlinson era. The QB is starting for his fourth straight year and has now set school records for career wins. Seven of the top eight receivers return this year and four of the five top RBs. The O-line has two All Americans among its three returning starters and goes an average of 317 pounds. On this side of the ball, nine of 11 starters return from a team that was number five (I believe) in scoring last year.

TCU also led the nation in margin of victory (average points scored minus average allowed) which shows its defensive and offensive powers together were quite considerable. Everyone expects the defense to be a little worse this year (at least early on), but the Frog offense is expected to be better by a good deal and may have to carry us in the early going this year.

Even so, games TCU loses are usually not shootouts, but almost always those where the opponent's defense wins the turnover battle and holds us to fewer than 17 points. That seemed to be the magic number that when reached insured us a win about 85% of the time.

As to parking, I like Berry Street that comes in East to West from I-35 to the campus. Park free and ride the free shuttle at Pascal Hi Sch. on your right a few blocks before campus.

TCUdirtbag

Seriously, though, was it Baylor all along that burned us down in Waco?

If so, we owe you at least a token of gratitude for getting us out of that hellhole.

ectofrog

Back to the 'O'--some pure triple option plays will be run 6-10 times a game,

I enjoyed the post, toadally, but had to make a couple of minor points.

We don't really run a "triple" option hardly at all, in that we don't have a diving back used as the first of three options. We run a zone read, a sprint option (usually to the short corner), a spread veer and an inverted spread veer at times (others might have better nomenclature for these things). None of those things are really "triple," though (at least not in my understanding of the triple option). If we occasionally run anything close to a "pure" triple option, it certainly doesn't happen 6-10 times a game.

Usually only 150-175 passing yards is our average.

Actually we've averaged over 200 yards passing per game every year of the Dalton era plus Ballard's senior season...haven't averaged as low as 175 since at least 2002 (although it could be earlier than that, that's as far back as I can find stats at the moment).

Even so, games TCU loses are usually not shootouts, but almost always those where the opponent's defense wins the turnover battle and holds us to fewer than 17 points. That seemed to be the magic number that when reached insured us a win about 85% of the time.

17 is the magic number, indeed. We have won our last 22 games in a row when scoring at least 17 points. Overall under Gary Patterson, we are 78-19 (.804) when putting up 17+ points, but most of those losses were early in his tenure. In the last five seasons (plus two games), the Frogs are an astounding 52-5 when scoring at least 17 points, for an amazing 91.2% winning clip. Four of those five losses came during our somewhat-ugly 2007 campaign (a campaign, I might add, that resulted in eight wins and a bowl victory...a feat the Bears haven't accomplished in the same season since Ronald Reagan was in office!).

Anyway, those are my additions to the football team information.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
No fair! I made all my statements, without fear...and without research, evidently. I'm pleased, at least, when I erred it was not to inflate our passing stats but to understate them.

One nation's leading stat we too often achieve, that we failed to last year, was the penalty yards per game. Seemed we always had the worst record, or durned near it until the last year or two.

That's a puzzler of a stat anyway, in that many successful teams were often found near the bottom.

Frog DJ

One nation's leading stat we too often achieve, that we failed to last year, was the penalty yards per game. Seemed we always had the worst record, or durned near it until the last year or two.

That's a puzzler of a stat anyway, in that many successful teams were often found near the bottom.
It's just a guess on my part, but could it have to do with aggressiveness?

Lord knows TCU is aggressive!

Go Frogs!

HickoryFlameFrog

Both wrong. TCU runs the veer. The sophomore OCs being somewhat inexperienced
have the veer looking like a triple option sometimes and like a spread at other times.

AS will sub for AD to run a version of the veer that is called the Wild Frog that is run only when
called by HCGP. You will know it is coming when he hitches his pants and ties his shoes.
He must do both and in a secret order that changes for each game. Unbelievable, I know.

Oh and one last thing, be sure to watch for the roll out and toss to the TE when inside
the red zone and especially inside the ten.

Toadally and Ecto would not be intentionally devious when giving forum newbies
info about the team, tailgating, and parking, but they haven't kept up since Mike Schultz
left.

Well, one last thing take the University exit north off I-30 and park at Farrington Field.
Ride the purple frog shuttles that run about every 30 minutes.

ectofrog

Both wrong. TCU runs the veer. The sophomore OCs being somewhat inexperienced
have the veer looking like a triple option sometimes and like a spread at other times.

AS will sub for AD to run a version of the veer that is called the Wild Frog that is run only when
called by HCGP. You will know it is coming when he hitches his pants and ties his shoes.
He must do both and in a secret order that changes for each game. Unbelievable, I know.

Oh and one last thing, be sure to watch for the roll out and toss to the TE when inside
the red zone and especially inside the ten.

Toadally and Ecto would not be intentionally devious when giving forum newbies
info about the team, tailgating, and parking, but they haven't kept up since Mike Schultz
left.

Well, one last thing take the University exit north off I-30 and park at Farrington Field.
Ride the purple frog shuttles that run about every 30 minutes.

Well, first of all, I'm not "wrong." I said we run a veer and an inverted veer (both true). We also run straight zone read (unless every announcer of every game of ours is wrong). And we also run a sprint option (note I didn't say "spread") package, usually to the short side of the field.

Are you really saying our OC's are trying to run a veer all the time but that they screw up so it looks like something else because they're too inexperienced to map out a proper veer?

You acting like we run just one kind of offense (the veer) is what's actually wrong...if you're looking for one way to categorize our offense, it's "multiple." We run a multiple offense that includes the veer but also many other types of formations and strategy packages (including the straightforward spread).