• The KillerFrogs

Fort Bend Sun: NFL awaits two Fort Bend ISD graduates

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/04/..._hughes_nfl.txt

[SIZE=14pt]NFL awaits two Fort Bend ISD graduates[/SIZE]

By COREY ROEPKEN

The biggest day of Jerry Hughes’ life is fast approaching, but all the anxiety makes him feel like everything is moving in slow motion.

Is he headed to Indianapolis? What about Minnesota? Tampa Bay maybe?

The NFL Draft changes the lives college football players across the country. Hughes, a 2006 Austin High School graduate and two-time All-American at TCU, is ready to take the next step in his life – wherever that may be.

“It’s a great blessing to be living the dream I’ve always had since I was a kid,” Hughes said. “The only thing I want to do is go out there and do what it takes to get on the field.”

Hughes is one of two Fort Bend ISD graduates expected to be taken early in this year’s draft, which will be held Thursday through Saturday. Oklahoma State offensive lineman Russell Okung, a Bush alumnus, is expected to be picked among the first 10 players. He could go as high as No. 2 overall, though he is most likely to go to the Washington Redskins at No. 4.

Hughes played defensive end at TCU, but he is expected to play outside linebacker in the NFL because he does not have the prototypical size for a lineman. Because of the size questions, he is projected to be a second round selection. New England, which needs pass rush help, has the 44th pick. Coach Bill Belichik loves players with Hughes’ type of versatility.

Scouts have raved about his tireless work ethic, his speed and his moves to the quarterback. He used that package to win a slew of national awards at TCU. He twice was named to the All-America first team. As a senior he won the Lott Trophy and the Ted Hendricks Award.

The Lott Trophy, named for NFL Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott, is awarded to college football’s impact player of the year. The Ted Hendricks Award is given to college football’s top defensive end.

Scouts and NFL front office personnel did not have to do much homework to find evidence of Hughes’ success after his first position switch. He excelled at running back in high school but did not receive any recruiting interest from Football Subdivision schools. TCU recruited him as an athlete and turned him into a defensive end.

“At first I wasn’t too happy,” Hughes said. “At the same time the coach stressed I would have a chance to get out on the field early. My ears perked up big time when they said I could do that.”

Although it was an exciting proposition, it took a while for Hughes to adjust. Instead of trying to avoid contact he had to seek contact against players who sometimes weighed 100 pounds more than him.

Hughes played in all 13 games as a sophomore before taking over as a full-time starter as junior. He recorded 18.5 tackles for loss, including 15 sacks, forced six fumbles, intercepted two passes and scored one touchdown.

He earned Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors and his first All-America award.

As a senior he had 54 tackles, including 11.5 sacks and helped TCU produce the NCAA’s top team for total defense. He repeated his MWC Player of the Year and first team All-America honors. He also was a finalist for the Lombardi Award, given annually to the nation’s top lineman or linebacker.

With one successful position change under his belt, Hughes said he would not mind making another one. He’s just ready to find out where he’s going.”

“It doesn’t matter to me. I’ll play any position,” he said. “I’ll be excited just to out there and play football in the NFL.”