• The KillerFrogs

Forget Auburn beating Oregon, TCU is the People's National Champion

arlington

Auburn was NOT screwed in 2004. USC began the season #1 and didnt lose, OU began the season #2 and didnt lose. Auburn began the season #18 and didnt lose. The system isnt set up to support 3 undefeated teams. The Frogs DID get screwed because the Frogs have become the only team in NCAA D1 history to begin the season #5, stay undefeated and watch 2 teams which began the season in the teens play for the title. Now THAT IS WHA I CALL SCREWED!!!!

neo926

Auburn was NOT screwed in 2004. USC began the season #1 and didnt lose, OU began the season #2 and didnt lose. Auburn began the season #18 and didnt lose. The system isnt set up to support 3 undefeated teams. The Frogs DID get screwed because the Frogs have become the only team in NCAA D1 history to begin the season #5, stay undefeated and watch 2 teams which began the season in the teens play for the title. Now THAT IS WHA I CALL SCREWED!!!!
Auburn went undefeated and didn't get to play in the national championship game. So yes, they got screwed.

arlington

Mike i guess we have different definitions for "screwed"... The 04 Auburn team KNEW, just like every team KNOWS that if teams ranked 1 and 2 dont lose, they are going to go to the championship game REGARDLESS!!! Been that way since the beginning of time and they are NOT the first team to have to deal with being undefeated and not play for a title, they were just the loudest, most whining bunch. The FROGS have a right to be truly pissed because the rules were changed for them. Name me another team in the HISTORY of NCAA D1 football which began the season at #5, watched the 4 teams ahead of them lose, stayed undefeated and got the pleasure of watching teams ranked #12(Oregon) and #18(auburn) play for a title. Now THATS a SCREW job!

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs

And that's exactly why these preseason polls that everyone dismisses are so important. They're asinine, and shouldn't be released until week 5 or so of the season, but they are unbelievably influential. The perceptions of the voters are being established NOW. The most important factor deciding who will be in the MNC game next January isn't the different contenders' recruiting classes, or fanbases, or history, or tradition, or even conference, or even wins and losses on the field. The most important factor is where a team starts in the polls. If a team doesn't start high enough, and the teams ahead of it don't win, then that team has already been eliminated before a single snap in Spring ball.

And this is the system that Hancock says is the best way to choose a champion? That the majority of sports fans support?