• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: TCU gets boost from joining Big East

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

By Jamie Newberg
ESPN Recruiting

While TCU and Gary Patterson never let that they weren't in a BCS conference affect them on the recruiting trail, there were times they had to deal with it. They'd face some negative recruiting because they didn't automatically qualify for a BCS bowl. For all their success -- TCU is 35-3 over the past three years, has won 10 games or more seven times since 2002 and is heading to the Rose Bowl after finishing third in the BCS standings behind Auburn and Oregon this year -- some recruits just couldn't look past that.

That's all changing now.

TCU will officially join the Big East on July 1, 2012, becoming the ninth football team in the league. The Horned Frogs will still do what they do -- hit Texas hard, as all but five of their recruits are from Texas, and three of those are from neighboring Oklahoma -- and this will only make it easier to compete for top prospects in the Lone Star State and open doors in other markets.

"The credibility [of now being in a BCS conference] is huge, just in our own state. I mean huge," Patterson said. "Just that perception will help us. This was just announced, and we are already fielding calls from recruits." ...

Texas Otto

By Jamie Newberg
ESPN Recruiting

While TCU and Gary Patterson never let that they weren't in a BCS conference affect them on the recruiting trail, there were times they had to deal with it. They'd face some negative recruiting because they didn't automatically qualify for a BCS bowl. For all their success -- TCU is 35-3 over the past three years, has won 10 games or more seven times since 2002 and is heading to the Rose Bowl after finishing third in the BCS standings behind Auburn and Oregon this year -- some recruits just couldn't look past that.

That's all changing now.

TCU will officially join the Big East on July 1, 2012, becoming the ninth football team in the league. The Horned Frogs will still do what they do -- hit Texas hard, as all but five of their recruits are from Texas, and three of those are from neighboring Oklahoma -- and this will only make it easier to compete for top prospects in the Lone Star State and open doors in other markets.

"The credibility [of now being in a BCS conference] is huge, just in our own state. I mean huge," Patterson said. "Just that perception will help us. This was just announced, and we are already fielding calls from recruits." ...
Benefits already being reaped from this announcement and the Big East footprint being extended to Texas will help other conference members recruiting :biggrin:

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Was it Johathan Swift who had the title A MODEST PROPOSAL to a really great suggestion? This one ranks right up there in reasonable solutions. Reading how all the BE coaches' are drooling over getting a foot in the Texas football recruiting door, I think we should do the totally unselfish thing. The first year we play in the BE, we will sacrifice.

Let's let all our conference mates play in ACS that year. It will start them all out with a bang right away...no need for half of them to wait to 2013 to have a physical presence right here in the recuiting hotbed of the nation.

Sorry, I got carried away. Florida says it's the hotbed, not us. I also suppose we ought to play one away conference game, so we pack our suntan oil and mirrored girl-watching shades and play USF there that year.

No, there's really no need to thank me for that magnanimity, 'Cuse and 'eer fans... it's the way we roll around here... stressing the 'C' in TCU...being all about the other guy and such.