• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Big Ten Considers Pay Proposal

SoonerBredCD

UTx athletes that don't live in a dorm and eat at the training table get an allowance for off-campus room and board. I would assume that sort of living expense money would be allowed everywhere.

I would assume the same... that's why this doesn't really create any kind of advantage and as far as I'm concerned, is a non-story.

byuhog

I like it P. :)

The idea of NCAA sports being "strictly amateur" is on faulty ground in a way with $100,000 scholarships and up. And I don't mind athletes getting a small stipend. We all know how hard it is for student athletes to practice all the time AND keep up with their grades an they are supposed to hold a full or PT job on top of that?

It would be kinda like fighting fire with fire-a bit like a guy at WVU that proposes to allow alcohol sales at their stadium to curb the binge drinking, etc.. Instead of so much under the table money from boosters etc.. which would likely still go on, maybe it would reduce some of that. Would be my hope at least.

And you couldn't do it for all sports financially speaking. But I think smaller schools could find a way to keep up reasonably if they wanted to. Not by matching Ohio-st or TX or FL, but by offering something reasonable to players. Just something. Doesn't have to be $2,000 per semester or whatever. $500 stipend? :) Let the NCAA put a cap on it, so that the bigger schools can't offer gobs of money just to entice recruits and it's not that big of a deal IMO.

Stiff Arm Frog

If they really want to get serious about having STUDENT athletes, they should get rid of athletic scholarships and only have scholarships for academic performance..........

I actually agree with this, to an extent. I'm not sure I'd eliminate all athletic scholarships, which aren't the real problem. I'd eliminate all college athletic recruiting, which is the real problem.

Oh, and the Big 10 is a den of corruption and thieves.

froginaustin

If recruiting were eliminated (and of course it couldn't be, it would just change forms), small-enrollment schools wouldn't have a prayer, any more than a 1A high school (that didn't recruit) would have against a typical 5A high school.

mtmedlin

So a free $50K or $60K education isnt enough pay? I freaking hate these people. Obviouse that their driving up the cost to get rid of the little guys.

$mooth

UTx athletes that don't live in a dorm and eat at the training table get an allowance for off-campus room and board. I would assume that sort of living expense money would be allowed everywhere.

Same at TCU and everywhere else. I'm not sure of the training table though. I thought they get that regardless, they just don't get a meal plan like the on campus Student Athletes do.