• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Players, fans eager to see how Tech fares in showcase vs. Frogs

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Players, fans eager to see how Tech fares in showcase vs. Frogs

CHUCK CARLTON
Staff writer
ccarlton@dallasnews.com

Micah Awe has been waging an internal battle with anticipation for a few days now.

He wasn’t alone. For the sophomore linebacker and for Texas Tech fans, Thursday simply could not arrive soon enough. Tech will be hosting No. 24 TCU on ESPN, a potential showcase for Kliff Kingsbury and his program.

“I’m trying to contain my excitement right now because I’ve still got school and everything,” said Awe, a Mansfield Summit product who leads the team with 15 tackles. “But I’m really excited to see how we react as a team. That’s where adversity’s going to hit.

“SMU is a good team. SFA was a good team also, but TCU is going to be better.” ...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-tech-red-raiders/20130911-carlton-players-fans-eager-to-see-how-tech-fares-in-showcase-vs.-frogs.ece

Power of Purple

Ticket Exchange Pass
Mayfield stepped in when expected starter Michael Brewer aggravated a back injury. For the first time in three starts, he’ll be facing an elite defense in TCU, with defensive end Devonte Fields back from suspension. At one point in his high school, Mayfield hoped to be a Horned Frog. No scholarship offer followed. “He has a huge chip on his shoulder,” Kingsbury said. “He has goals in mind and wants to prove a lot of people wrong, and that’s keeping him focused.” Patterson acknowledged the decision, noting that Mayfield had been at TCU’s camp and made no excuses. “We thought he was a really good player,” Patterson said. “For whatever reason, we didn’t pull the trigger. Obviously, we’re not very smart in doing some things. We also didn’t offer Johnny Manziel.”

And it shows.  The offense is subpar.

Moose Stuff

Power of Purple said:
Mayfield stepped in when expected starter Michael Brewer aggravated a back injury. For the first time in three starts, hell be facing an elite defense in TCU, with defensive end Devonte Fields back from suspension. At one point in his high school, Mayfield hoped to be a Horned Frog. No scholarship offer followed. He has a huge chip on his shoulder, Kingsbury said. He has goals in mind and wants to prove a lot of people wrong, and thats keeping him focused. Patterson acknowledged the decision, noting that Mayfield had been at TCUs camp and made no excuses. We thought he was a really good player, Patterson said. For whatever reason, we didnt pull the trigger. Obviously, were not very smart in doing some things. We also didnt offer Johnny Manziel.

And it shows.  The offense is subpar.
Worth noting that Tech didn't offer him a scholarship either.