• The KillerFrogs

Disapointed In Mountaineers

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
I thought if the BE offered KU, KSU, and MU, and they quickly accepted, and then we got our $16M or more per team from our new TV contract, that the BE schools could easily resist an ACC invitation to back fill teams joining ATM in the SEC. Poll on the GNB board showed, of 3 choices, BE was the overwhelming 3rd among WVU fans, SEC was 1st, and ACC 2nd. Comments like this help educate me on the thought process going on over there:

What u guys fail to realize is the reason why the Big East sucks and everyone wants out. That is the hybrid nature of the conference. There is no way in hell another school from the ACC would leave for the Big East. The only reason a Big 12 school would come is if the Big 12 folded. The problem is sharing football revenue amongst all Big East schools and giving bowl tie-ins to Notre Dame. And yes, that includes the basketball schools receiving money from the football revenue. That is why Miami wanted out. And why everyone (VTech, BC) followed.

Sadly if this stuff and a lot of other such threads ["ACC has Already Offered 4 BE Schools"] reflect the prevailing WVU sentiments, then it makes me wonder just what we are getting into over there, where 'Eer longing to renew past rivalries preempts present loyalties. Sure I get it if the SEC were to offer them, but back filling to help keep the ACC afloat, and damaging the BE, AND getting less money?...that's not what I expected out of these guys.

I hope Qliver Luck is smart enough to steer WVU to ignore this thinking and stay the course to help the BE grow. It sure looks like severing the BB and FB schools may be the only wise way to insure that happens. TCU fans have never experienced a BB tail wagging a FB dog before.

AggieAngst

No need to be disappointed, That is just one ignoramus fan talking.

If Big East actually does get KU, MU, and KSU the new Big East contract will be around $20 mil per team.

The ACC pays just $12 mil per team and the ACC contract has another ten years to run which is ominous for the ACC.

Please tell me which Big East team would look at those numbers and flush $8 mil per Yr down the toilet (a total of $80 million dollars over 10 year completion of ACC contract).

No matter what some uninformed ignorant couch potato fan might say - the numbers would be overwhelmingly against jumping to the ACC.

Getting KU, MU, and KSU though - is key to the Big East !!

steelfrog

Tier 1
Hi, are you stupid?

Other stupid questions:

How much lint is in my navel?

How much snow must I use to wipe my butt after a deuce?

When was the last time you took a deuce in the urinal at work?

Waccy Frog

I would like to think that the prospect of a new TV deal will hold the Big East together, but the fact of the matter is that the BE remains vulnerable to poaching. Best case scenario is that the ACC holds firm in the face of SEC expansion, and the SEC turns west to Missouri. But neven then, if the ACC or Big 10 tries to get to 16.....let's just say its a good time for TCU to be vigilant.

jack the frog

The best thing WV and other BE schools can do to strengthen their conference right now is stop sucking, win some games and put 5 or so teams in the top 25. Not like these teams are state of the art conference fodder right now.

TexasCard

TCU is in good hands with their current leadership. But I haven't seen this posted but it is getting a ton of play on the ACC and other Big East boards overnight, http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2759&t=7770242 ; and https://twitter.com/#!/GSwaim . I don't think it has much validity but Tom Jurich (UofL AD) didn't address it or the SEC rumors yesterday when asked about realignment and the Big 12-3. He did say UofL has zero interest in the Big 12-3 and thus I think that is where the Houston stuff got some legs. TCU is in a precarious situation with it's new conference and it can thank an old friend for helping put them there. If A&M doesn't get all this started none of this would be happening right now and the rumors wouldn't be what they are. But it wouldn't be wise to wait on something that may not be in the offing and that is the supposed Big East television payday. Stability has it's pluses and the ACC even if it loses a school or two has more of it than the Big East.

Boomhauer

Any Big East team that gets an invite from the ACC (some twitter reports saying they already invited 4-5 teams) will immediately accept. Everyone thinking that WVU, UL, Pitt, etc. will turn down an ACC invite is crazy. (I'm looking at you mtmedlin and Aggie Angst).

The Big East is too unstable mainly because of the basketball only schools. Doesn't help that the Big East isn't being aggressive and it appears the ACC is already looking to add teams from the Big East.

Thank you A&M for ruining another conference for TCU. :angry:

Gunner

BE isn't run by basketball, it is not even close. In fact there is a move on to get rid of the non football basketball schools..What's funny is they are not opposed to the Atlantic whatever conference. Villanova and Providence may be history sooner than you think.. and a couple others.

I'm just hoping the Big 10 doesn't raid Syracuse. That would be devastating to the BE.. They need that NY market.

What I do think, is Missouri will be idiots to get in the SEC. But I already think the Ags were crazy to do it, so I guess it might happen. ESPN reports they will get an offer, and I can't imagine they didn't get a positive responce when approaching Missouri. If they jump that only leaves Kansas for the BE to go after, maybe Tech. KState and Iowa State are losers TV wise, financially.

It would be ironic if Baylor and Tech ended up in the MWC after the dirt they threw on TCU. Actually, I don't blame them, but I do blame the Aggies and UT for it. Maybe Conference USA would be better than the MWC for Tech and Baylor.

BABYFACE

For the Big East to survive in the long run, they will have to be an all sports conference and seperate from the bastball schools. I have been saying this for a few years. I think that is what WVU has been saying all along. They are right. The FB members of the Big East have to step up and push the conference forward and seperate or you will always have members unhappy with the basketball schools and the politics which IMO is the only thing why a BE school should consider the ACC. The BE can be the power over the ACC if they choose to do so if isn't too late already. The A$M thing may have happened to early.

AS for SEC, if WVU got invite, they should go in a heartbeat. Don't blame for that.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
For the Big East to survive in the long run, they will have to be an all sports conference and seperate from the bastball schools. I have been saying this for a few years. I think that is what WVU has been saying all along. They are right. The FB members of the Big East have to step up and push the conference forward and seperate or you will always have members unhappy with the basketball schools and the politics which IMO is the only thing why a BE school should consider the ACC. The BE can be the power over the ACC if they choose to do so if isn't too late already. The A$M thing may have happened to early.

AS for SEC, if WVU got invite, they should go in a heartbeat. Don't blame for that.

I'll say it again: Sure I get it if the SEC were to offer them, but back filling to help keep the ACC afloat, and damaging the BE, AND getting less money?...that's not what I expected out of these guys. ('Cuse to the Big-10+2 I can also see as an upgrade...never the ACC tho'.)

One poster here said the sentiment is only one guy, but using Wes' BE link the majority of WVU fans appear completely to discount their former assertions of BE superiority over the ACC. They wax eloquent over having the chance of renewing old UM, VT and BC rivalries. That's really special.

West Coast Johnny

The Big East better kick out about 3 basketball only schools and then start adding football programs now. Drop Depaul, Providence & Seaton Hall now and add Missouri, Kansas & Kansas State. Kansas should jump at this chance due to basketball. Probably won't happen as the basketball schools stick together.

asleep003

It sure looks like severing the BB and FB schools may be the only wise way to insure that happens. TCU fans have never experienced a BB tail wagging a FB dog before.

Even if the BE does lose 3-4 schools... it will be our lucrative B-Ball league that keeps us the most viable for the balance of BCS and quality non-BCS schools to join the BE, to still form a 16 team FB Super Conference, ALL-BE-IT a lower tier super conference.

However, if the P12/B10/SEC/ACC do go with 16 teams, they will most likely have a 64 team majority and no need for the 5th or 6th conference... to keep the cartel in fewer hands. That's why the BE has to out perform the ACC with Quality teams/TV sets to be the 4th conference, and not the 5th conference out...

Cheers !

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Even if the BE does lose 3-4 schools... it will be our lucrative B-Ball league that keeps us the most viable for the balance of BCS and quality non-BCS schools to join the BE, to still form a 16 team FB Super Conference, ALL-BE-IT a lower tier super conference.

However, if the P12/B10/SEC/ACC do go with 16 teams, they will most likely have a 64 team majority and no need for the 5th or 6th conference... to keep the cartel in fewer hands. That's why the BE has to out perform the ACC with Quality teams/TV sets to be the 4th conference, and not the 5th conference out...

Cheers !

Well, they picked last year to collectively screw the pooch in football, and realignment is happening NOW. Your suggestion is as well founded as it is bleeding obvious, and way too late to be useful.

The BE needs to be proactive and get the BB schools on board in order to get the right schools that fit the conference. We need ND now more than ever, even though that is extremely remote, but the BE needs to try.

Lloyd64

Get used to it. WVU and to a lesser extent PITT think they are too good for the Big East. Check out their scout boards for confirmation. We, the Big East, will be just fine.

Latest posts