• The KillerFrogs

Deloss Dodds

dweller

I was listening to ESPN radio tonight and the two sports casters (not sure who ) repeated the comment that Dodds is dead set against TCU in the Big 12-2-1. They said TCU was a the best choice for expansion and were talking about the Big 12-2-1 who were pushing for the Frogs. This has been a common sentiment expressed a lot recently.

Why would Dodds be so anti TCU? Simple FEAR In the last ten years, operating at a large disadvantage TCU was taken 2,3 and 4 star recruits, built a program that is consistently in the top 25 over the last 5 years, raised 140 million to improve the stadium, not to mention all the other construction on campus. TCU has been to TWO BCS games without the benefit of an AQ conference. WON THE ROSE BOWL.
All this has been done with the equivalent of fighting with one tied your back. With less money, less prestige, in spite of ESPN constantly belittling TCU wins.
Dodds is scared to death of Gary Patterson and the FROGS could do with the full resources of the Big 12-2-1, or even the resources of the Big East. He looks at TCU and sees Miami of the late 70's and early 80's, USC of the PAC 12. All three are small private schools who have built football programs. USC as all the benefits of playing in a BCS conference. Miami rose to prominence before the BCS came into existence.
10 years ago Gary Patterson said he believed he could win a MNC at TCU. Others scoffed, everyone thought GP would be gone as soon as one of the Big Boy Schools came calling. Look what has happened to every up and coming coach who has led a non AQ Team to BCS success, or even a level of National Prominence. All have been snatched up by schools from AQ conferences, except GP and Pederson at Boise St. GP is Dodds worse nightmare.......a coach with vision and talent. One who didn't chase greener pastures and with equal resources could eclipse UT's luster. (Personally I think he already has without the extra benefits, but I admit to bias).
The Big 12-2-1 is just as unstable as the Big East, and because of UT's arrogance may be even more unstable. The PAC 12 is not expanding at the moment, but that could change any time, and does anyone believe that OU wouldn't jump ship at the first offer from another major conference?
We are committed to the big East at the moment, and I hope we honor that as long has the Big East hold Cuse and Pitt to the two year exit timeline. AFA and Navy bring more to the Big East than Pitt and Cuse, even taking TV market size into account. Given the current positive feelings toward the military, even civilians and fans of other schools watch those two teams play.
The last couple of weeks reminds me a line from the movie "The American President". When the press discovers that Anette Bennet's character spent the night at the White House and the aids are running around trying to spin things, one of the aids says "the important thing is not to look like your panicked." The President says "the important thing is not to panic".

BelushiBob

He is against regular non red river games played in the DFW

It isnt actually fair to the Non-Texas schools that they have one less game in Texas is it? That actually helps out UT........ Deloss wouldnt want to give recruits in the DFW area a easy chance to catch OSU, KSU, KU, Mizzou, ISU game because they dont play in the Red River game. That would be to fair

Horned Toad

He is against regular non red river games played in the DFW

It isnt actually fair to the Non-Texas schools that they have one less game in Texas is it? That actually helps out UT........ Deloss wouldnt want to give recruits in the DFW area a easy chance to catch OSU, KSU, KU, Mizzou, ISU game because they dont play in the Red River game. That would be to fair
We have a winner, you've nailed it! UT has DFW locked up and unless one of the Big 12 teams can wrangle a game at Jerry World their exposure to the DFW market is restricted. With TCU in the Big 12 UT loses their exclusivity along with OU in the DFW market. That is the real reason UT doesn't want TCU in the conference.

BelushiBob

We have a winner, you've nailed it! UT has DFW locked up and unless one of the Big 12 teams can wrangle a game at Jerry World their exposure to the DFW market is restricted. With TCU in the Big 12 UT loses their exclusivity along with OU in the DFW market. That is the real reason UT doesn't want TCU in the conference.

Thanks. If someone could get this to CDC for his sales pitch that would be great.

4th. down

Texas only thinks - money. It's nothing against TCU as such but money - small school, fan base, alumni and in the state of Texas. From a financial perspective, and that's what all this is based on, TCU doesn't fit.

UT is not afraid of recruiting against TCU - I mean really now.

If we were to receive an offer from the Big 9, hopefully we turn it down. Do not be involved with UT in any way. The BCS retools in 2014 so all of this movement will start up again the second half of '13. If OU stayed in the Big 9 and TU went independent, then yes, hell yes, we join the Big 9.

P

purplePPO

4th Down, I agree with you. I do not understand the fixation people on this site have with coming back to a dysfunctional Big 12 minus 3 and counting....?? Yes it is regional and nice to play games closer to home but the big reality is TV is running the NCAA powers that be now! NOT old rivalries, regional affiliation, historic rivalries, only TV MONEY!!! That is all. I do not want to come back to a Big 12 that will disolve in 2 or 3 more years and during that time Texas and OU urinate all over TCU!!! It is better to look at other conferences including a diluted Big East! TEXAS and the Big 12 is NOT the answer people!!

4th. down

4th Down, I agree with you. I do not understand the fixation people on this site have with coming back to a dysfunctional Big 12 minus 3 and counting....?? Yes it is regional and nice to play games closer to home but the big reality is TV is running the NCAA powers that be now! NOT old rivalries, regional affiliation, historic rivalries, only TV MONEY!!! That is all. I do not want to come back to a Big 12 that will disolve in 2 or 3 more years and during that time Texas and OU urinate all over TCU!!! It is better to look at other conferences including a diluted Big East! TEXAS and the Big 12 is NOT the answer people!!

+1000. We are AQ in BE until 2014 - this gives us time for us to do what we need to do and this is how I think the administration sees it - let's roll!

rifram09

I agree with you in theory, but practicality might force our hand. If the B12 is going to take three more teams, with two or all three of them coming from the BE, we want to be one of them. Can you imagine a BE without Pitt, Cuse, WVU, and Louisville? There would only be 4 "original"* teams plus us. Expansion would be necessary just to have a season, and there would not be any blockbuster candidates. Plus, UConn and Rutgers are leaning away as well. If they left, the BE would be down to 2 "original"* teams and us. would the basketball schools just break away at that point?

I don't want to be the first team to bolt from the BE, but I also don't want to be left holding the bag.

*Original as of the last 10 years... Some of them will be teams from the C-USA that were just recently added.