• The KillerFrogs

Dear BYU Fan:

I don't think CT or BYU went behind anyone's back. BYU's AD has said, since Utah's defection to the PAC, that BYU was and is looking at ALL of its options and that nothing is off the table. BYU's looking at independence is certainly one, if not the only, of those options that is realistic (Texas isn't coming a calling any time soon). CT's move to gut the WAC was equally anticipated - thus the reason for last Friday's WAC commitment ceremony and buyout clause.

How do you call abusing insider information AND voting "yes" to inviting Nevada and Fresno, while silmutaneously telling the WAC "sign everyone to a long term commitment", NOT going behind our backs?

SnoSki

Dear TCU Fan,

If you had enough fans to measure on the Nielsen ratings scale, you might matter. But, since you don't, then... whatever.

Hold the middle finger to Provo all you want - at least you'll be pointed in the general direction of where you can see what a complete athletic program looks like.

Have fun using your BCS $$ to pay off UNR's and Fresno's legal bills.

And... the reason why the HD facilities matter? Because it makes the difference between getting a check from ESPN and not getting one consistently.

Have fun hanging with your crazy head coach, BSU and the 7 dwarfs.

I'd talk attendance smack with you, but then maybe you'd cry. Good luck filling that new stadium.

How many BCS games have you guys been to??

Ohh right... HDTV trucks can't play football... and Tongans are toooooo slooooooow

hindry

I don't think CT or BYU went behind anyone's back. BYU's AD has said, since Utah's defection to the PAC, that BYU was and is looking at ALL of its options and that nothing is off the table. BYU's looking at independence is certainly one, if not the only, of those options that is realistic (Texas isn't coming a calling any time soon). CT's move to gut the WAC was equally anticipated - thus the reason for last Friday's WAC commitment ceremony and buyout clause.

Nobody "owes" BYU anything. However, if you want to keep BYU's market and quality teams in the family, meeting its need to remain competitive with Utah (something that is good for everyone) in its potential television markets is essential. If you think that is bad for TCU, I think you are being short-sighted.

While removing one option for a soft-landing for its non-football sports may hold BYU for a season, they can't stay if they can't get on TV.

I don't think BYU is asking TCU to surrender its television opportuntities, but it can't forego its own opportunities and remain competitive.

we got fresno state...thats a wash

UNR.....as many mormons at fitzgerald's as as lavell

MWC 1 BYU 0

FROGDADDY

Hold the middle finger to Provo all you want - at least you'll be pointed in the general direction of where you can see what a complete athletic program looks like.

At this point right here I stop reading anything else you post. Complete athletic program? Freaking hysterical.

West Coast Johnny

This is funny. BYU has 34,000 students and is talking attendence smack to a University with 8,000. They have lost to TCU by a combined score of 70 to 14 the last two times we've played them. And the crowned jewel of their program? A truck with HD equipment in it.

BYU wants to leave? Buh-Bye.

Double D

Tier 1
Let 'em go! Weber St is looking for a home and home.

This is funny. BYU has 34,000 students and is talking attendence smack to a University with 8,000. They have lost to TCU by a combined score of 70 to 14 the last two times we've played them. And the crowned jewel of their program? A truck with HD equipment in it.

D

Daniel Plainview

BYU is dumb.

I cannot wait for them to come play in fort worth this year.

Frogenstein

If the television deal stinks because the games are on the Mountain, Versus, and CBS-College Sports I don't get how the Cougs think it is an improvement exposure wise to be on BYUTV. Sure, it is available in more homes than the Mountain but how many non-Mormans even know it exists? Do they really believe it will occur to the nonBYU fan to check out their station when deciding which game to watch? I have never made fun of their channel because I enjoy watching the televised TCU baseball games at BYU but the production values are awful, HD will not do anything to solve the problems, and I cannot see anyone other than a fan of BYU or their opponent sitting through a broadcast.

FROGDADDY

Very funny. When I picture this truck it looks something Uncle Rico's van.

BirdDogFrog02

quick question

Do they think that bars across the country will put the tvs on BYU tv to watch a game? LDS commercials and Draught Beer dont really go hand in hand....

If the television deal stinks because the games are on the Mountain, Versus, and CBS-College Sports I don't get how the Cougs think it is an improvement exposure wise to be on BYUTV. Sure, it is available in more homes than the Mountain but how many non-Mormans even know it exists? Do they really believe it will occur to the nonBYU fan to check out their station when deciding which game to watch?

This.

Plus what in God's name are they going to do with the rest of their athletic programs at this point? Do you think Rose is wild about the idea of losing rivalries with UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego St. and now Nevada for Hawaii, San Jose St, and La Tech or the WCC? This would be a huge blow to the prestige of their non-football sports. I know that football drives the bus, but it was the loss of the WAC for the other sports that has at least given BYU pause.

Frog DJ

If the television deal stinks because the games are on the Mountain, Versus, and CBS-College Sports I don't get how the Cougs think it is an improvement exposure wise to be on BYUTV. Sure, it is available in more homes than the Mountain but how many non-Mormans even know it exists? Do they really believe it will occur to the nonBYU fan to check out their station when deciding which game to watch? I have never made fun of their channel because I enjoy watching the televised TCU baseball games at BYU but the production values are awful, HD will not do anything to solve the problems, and I cannot see anyone other than a fan of BYU or their opponent sitting through a broadcast.
What you say is entirely true, but in fairness, BYU will be able to retain all the advertising revenue they can muster from BYU-TV broadcasts. That might be a substantial amount, but at the same time it might not. It all depends on their ability to sell commercial time to businesses outside the Provo/Mormon Church footprint.

Rates will be determined based on audience size and clients' willingness to pay, and that's really where the rubber will meet the road. Any broadcast entity can sell spots, if the rate is so low it becomes a bargain the client can't refuse, but if the rate is too low the overall revenue stream could fall well below production costs. Then, the whole production project becomes a liability.

Candidly, this is exactly how broadcasters go bankrupt, and BYU will need knowledgeable and experienced media sales executives to avoid that trap.

It's not as easy as it looks or sounds.

Go Frogs!

A friend of mine out here in California goes to BYU. He just got back from his mission in Brazil. I asked him his story on how he ended up at BYU. His response:

"My mom was sitting at a bus stop one day and two guys sat down to talk to her about Jesus. We've always been Catholic, and she loves to talk about Jesus, so she took the bait. They ended up coming over to our house a few days later and part of the discussion was that they could help pay for her kids to go to school. She figured we'll go along with it as long as her kids get a free education. Fast forward a few years and a few church visits and I was told I could go to BYU for free. I couldn't turn that down. So, I just go along with everything until I can get my degree. I'm still a Catholic. And I got a free trip to Brazil out of it. I don't even like thier teams. I'm a USC fan."

hindry

Dear TCU Fan,

If you had enough fans to measure on the Nielsen ratings scale, you might matter. But, since you don't, then... whatever.

Have fun using your BCS $$ to pay off UNR's and Fresno's legal bills.

And... the reason why the HD facilities matter? Because it makes the difference between getting a check from ESPN and not getting one consistently.

Have fun hanging with your crazy head coach, BSU and the 7 dwarfs.

I'd talk attendance smack with you, but then maybe you'd cry. Good luck filling that new stadium.

if i am not mistaken several of ur cousins moved to el dorado..they are now doing life....don't thank us

but did u have to pardon warren jeffs? that was a bridge too far

anyway we will extradite him and that will be that

sorry about u getting dumped by ur sister in salt lake...its hurts more when its family doesn't it?

MidlandFrog

A friend of mine out here in California goes to BYU. He just got back from his mission in Brazil. I asked him his story on how he ended up at BYU. His response:

"My mom was sitting at a bus stop one day and two guys sat down to talk to her about Jesus. We've always been Catholic, and she loves to talk about Jesus, so she took the bait. They ended up coming over to our house a few days later and part of the discussion was that they could help pay for her kids to go to school. She figured we'll go along with it as long as her kids get a free education. Fast forward a few years and a few church visits and I was told I could go to BYU for free. I couldn't turn that down. So, I just go along with everything until I can get my degree. I'm still a Catholic. And I got a free trip to Brazil out of it. I don't even like thier teams. I'm a USC fan."

That is greatness

monkeyfishfrog

I don't get it. All I'm hearing from BYU fans is stuff about how they draw so much more national TV interest than the rest of the MWC. But frankly, the numbers I've seen do not support that assertion. Looking at bowl games for recent years, BYU does not perform anywhere near as well as TCU and Utah nationally, and actually perform about middle-of-the-pack MWC. Usually BYU's bowl games are toward the bottom if you rank them all.

Here's just an excerpt:

2009-2010 TV ratings for NCAA bowls:
http://huskersgameday.com/2009-huske...me-tv-ratings/

Little Caesar Marshall-Ohio 2.97 30,311
Poinsettia Utah-California 2.81 32,665
New Mexico Fresno State-Wyoming 2.78 24,898
Las Vegas Oregon State-BYU 2.58 40,018 (#24 in ratings out of 34 bowl games, bottom 10)
Humanitarian Bowling Green-Idaho 2.39 26,726

2008-2009 TV viewership for NCAA bowls:
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...ver-audiences/

POINSETTIA ESPN BOISE STATE/TCU 5,061,000 115%
HAWAII ESPN HAWAII/NOTRE DAME 4,413,000 119%
OUTBACK ESPN SOUTH CAROLINA/IOWA 4,093,000 -10%
LIBERTY ESPN KENTUCKY/EAST CAROLINA 3,607,000 -33%
MOTOR CITY ESPN FLORIDA ATLANTIC/CENTRAL MICH 3,437,000 1%
NEW MEXICO ESPN COLORADO ST/FRESNO ST 3,432,000 46%
LAS VEGAS ESPN BYU/ARIZONA 3,389,000 0% (#23 of 34 bowl games)
HUMANITARIAN ESPN MARYLAND/NEVADA 3,039,000 218%
EAGLEBANK ESPN WAKE FOREST/NAVY 2,875,000 NEW
GMAC ESPN BALL STATE/TULSA 2,831,000 113%

What's my point here? They can go independent and keep their own ad revenue. But it's not going to be substantial, and if they're broadcast by ESPN, they're going to be playing on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights. Play on those nights, and I promise you, your attendance, ratings, and on-the-field performance will take a hit. BYU going independent doesn't somehow now get them on TV on Saturday over Ohio State, Penn State, Florida, LSU, etc. They'll be filling the Boise time slot from last year.

Smitty

Have a fun trip to Forth Worth this season.

Haha, If I were a coug, I would not show my face at that game. Kudos to any of them that try. Win or lose, I have a feeling that our fans will discharge their feces upon every single cougar they see, literally. October 16th won't be pretty.

Latest posts