• The KillerFrogs

Dallas Baptist coach turns down Baylor job

netty2424

swimmerbabe11 said:
They got the Pepperdine coach. Solid grab IMO. 

Can't imagine moving to waco from there though
Worse than living in Waco, he's now employed by the ultimate doosh AD.

jFOkHui.png

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
MrMcgibblets said:
If he has a wife and kids they'll be pissed!
The poor kids and wife. I lived in Ventura and San Clemente, there will be more than one, "what the hell were you thinking arguments" even before August arrives. No more pleasant lunches at Dukes watching the surf break on the rocks. Maybe a trip to Whataburgers to watch Bandidos break some heads.

Better file for divorce in California while she can...

Ron Swanson

Big Frog II said:
It was a good hire.  Though I wonder if he actually visited the town before accepting?
I mean, I gotta imagine it's a combination of two things...

1. Stepping stone to a bigger job
2. Pay raise/value of a dollar in Waco

Get Your Frogs Up

dahozzman said:
CSUF fan here, but was a regular in the TCU stands during my 2 year '10/11 assignment in Dallas as some may remember.

Anyway, it was just announced that Pepperdine Coach Steve Rodriguez resigned to take the Baylor job.  Good for us, kind of waters down the competition for local recruits for a while.

Good luck against LSU.  Hope to see y'all on Tuesday evening.

Weird move for him.  My first thought is that it's a WAGO situation - Rodriguez is a Pepperdine alum that spent his entire coaching career there, so he must have just felt like he needed to take on something new to move forward.

Regardless, it sounds like he'll fit nicely in Waco:

* Due to NCAA sanctions against the University, Pepperdine later vacated all wins and NCAA Championship appearances in baseball between the 2008 and 2011 seasons. Pepperdine's adjusted overall NCAA records for each season are 0-19 (2008), 0-23 (2009), 0-30 (2010) and 0-34 (2011). Steve Rodriguez' official NCAA coaching record is now 184-227 (.448).

YA

Get Your Frogs Up said:

Weird move for him.  My first thought is that it's a WAGO situation - Rodriguez is a Pepperdine alum that spent his entire coaching career there, so he must have just felt like he needed to take on something new to move forward.

* Due to NCAA sanctions against the University, Pepperdine later vacated all wins and NCAA Championship appearances in baseball between the 2008 and 2011 seasons. Pepperdine's adjusted overall NCAA records for each season are 0-19 (2008), 0-23 (2009), 0-30 (2010) and 0-34 (2011). Steve Rodriguez' official NCAA coaching record is now 184-227 (.448).
About what I expected that place woukd hire. Must have been pretty shady what he did. He and briles already best buds.

jack the frog

Get Your Frogs Up said:

According to an often flawed Wiki, this guy averaged almost 24 non-wins per season during the 8 season they went to the NCAA tourney. The other 4 non-qualifying seasons were closer to 29 non-wins per season. Presumably they made the NCAA's most of the time by winning either the conference tourney or regular season of the mighty West Coast Conference. He is now heading in to a much harder competitive environment without a Texas pipeline I suspect.

This guy may be a great coach, I don't know and will leave that evaluation to others, but he seems at a glance to be a step or two or three down from the Dallas Baptist or Houston coach.

hometown frog

He impressed the hell out of me during last years super. He stood toe to toe w Schloss and made every right move to give his team a chance to win it. I think it's a good hire for BayLOL.

Now the only reason I won't call it a great hire is it still has yet to be seen if he can adjust to Texas baseball from Cali ball. (Both in term of play and recruiting) Texas baseball recruiting is a hard nut to crack if you didn't grow up in it.

netty2424

froginaustin said:
Is that smiley gent in the picture a few posts up Warren Jeffs?

Certainly resembles Jeffs if its not Jeffs.
Exactly who it is. I was curious if anyone would pick that up. Nice work.

Latest posts