• The KillerFrogs

Daily Oklahoman: TCU basketball - Uphill climb in the Big 12

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Daily Oklahoman: TCU basketball - Uphill climb in the Big 12

Posted by Berry Tramel

TCU basketball has an identity problem as it prepares to enter the Big 12. The Horned Frogs lost their basketball coach, hired a replacement of some repute and it barely drew a ripple in their new league.

Jim Christian, the TCU coach the last four seasons, resigned to become head coach at Ohio U. That’s right. Ohio U. A guy just jumped from the Big 12 to the Mid-American Conference. Christian was 56-73 in four years at TCU but went an encouraging 18-15 in 2011-12.

When Ohio announced Christian’s hiring, my thought was, “Christian? Didn’t he use to coach at TCU?” Christian and TCU were so low-key in college hoops, I didn’t even make the connection that he still was TCU’s coach, even though I wrote about Christian a month or two ago. ...

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2012/04/08/tcu-basketball-uphill-climb-in-the-big-12/

AEAfrog

Big 12 basketball vs. MWC. Step up? Not a big one.

The MWC had three solid teams (UNLV, SDSU, UNM) followed by three mediocre teams (CSU, TCU, Wyoming) and two really bad teams (AFA and BSU). The Big 12, on the other hand, finished last season with three elite teams (KU, Missouri, Baylor), three very good teams (ISU, KSU, UT), three streaky/average teams (OU, OSU, TAMU), and one awful team (Tech).

Granted, the Big 12 loses Missouri and A&M, but West Virginia is at worst an upgrade from A&M. The top of the Mountain West was good this year but none of those teams were going to knock off the upper echelon Big 12 teams. It's a pretty big step up both in terms of how good the best teams are and the depth of the rest of the field.

WIN

Yes Big 12 is a step up but so is the revenue and the recruiting pool just got a lot larger.