• The KillerFrogs

Crazy Ivan

halfwaytoheaven

6730203_gal.jpg

"It reminds me of the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin when the world trembled at the sound of our rockets. Now they will tremble again - at the sound of our silence. The order is: engage the silent drive."

I would have liked to see Montana.

general125

I would have liked to see Montana.

Patterson: I will live in Pasadena. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from bowl to bowl. Do they let you do that?

Thompson: I believe so

Patterson: No papers

Thompson: ...no papers

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Bc$ boy! Who let you in here?

Hey, Skip, what, have they got you playing with yourself now?

Ahh! Damn it, Bill! Tell them to slow down!

I'm doing it. I'm doing it. Calm down, will you?

It's not a model – it’s a DSRV - Refudiation system.

I know what it is. What are you doing with it?

We're rigging it with a generic ESPN contract so it'll mate with high-school, pro, even British soccer, just about anybody's football. We can get it anywhere in the world in 24 hours. How's your back?

It's fine. Have you got a minute?

Bigger than a regular Bc$ Buster. What are these teams?

You don't miss much, do you? Those are too big to be standard college teams. Would you launch a quality football program w/o welfare money?

Sure. Why would you want to? They're symmetrical. Right down the long axis.

How about a towed sonar array?

Nope. Too close to the screws.

I'll be... This...This could be an honorable team!

A what?

Uh, an honorable team. Judeo/Christian/American tradition. You follow?

No.

It's like...behaving correctly - do it right, get good results in the end. Only it's got no huge payoff, so it's very, very cheap.

Like how cheap?

It's doubtful our media would even pick it up. And if it did, it would sound like Joe Paterno mumbling, or a seismic anomaly. Anything but a college team. We messed with this a couple of years ago - couldn't make it work. They really built this? This isn't a mock-up or anything?

She returned to prominence in the last 10 years.

--Long Pause-- When I was a boy, I helped my daddy build a bomb shelter in our basement because some fool parked a dozen decent teams 90 miles off the ESPN radar. This thing could inspire a couple of hundred teams off Washington and New York, and no one would know anything about it until it was all over.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Listen, I'm a BCS administrator which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops.....

OmniscienceFrog

I got run off this forum when I mentioned this was going down over a week ago.

Ivan went to Stanford, I've met him a few times. Good guy, tells it straight. Rod Gilmore also went to Stanford and said the same thing. I work at Stanford and have heard it from several people in the department. The word is obviously out from the Rose Bowl: prepare to not get an invite.

I have a good feeling about this, folks.

This part sounds good:

"But the Rose may take the other non-AQ unbeaten, anyway. It would fulfill the Rose's non-AQ obligation."

This part is what keeps me rather skeptical:

"And who would argue? Sixth-ranked Stanford -- a Pac-10 partner -- would. This is the same bowl that passed three higher-rated teams in 2007 to take No. 13, 9-3, Big Ten partner Illinois."

The Rose Bowl is SO hung up on their precious Big 10-Pac 10 matchup that I'm not convinced they will take a non-AQ until they HAVE TO. The way the BSC operates the whole process could change again before their four-year time limit to take one is up, and they might never have to.

If what you are hearing around Stanford is true, that is good, but I'll still have to see it to believe it.

PurpleBlood87

Hat's off to you HFRO guys. Pleasantly surprised so many got the reference.

You want controversy? Here goes....

The book is hands-down better than the movie. Unfortunately, the author chose to keep writing more books.

Ha!
The book is always better. Just like the other movies in the Jack Ryan series. The best book might have been "Red Storm Rising."

You want controversy? Alex Baldwin was easily the best Jack Ryan. Harrison Ford was horrible as was Ben Afleck.

PurpleBlood87

In addition to HFRO, I've read Red Storm Rising, Clear and Present Danger, and The Sum of All Fears. I wish the movies had stayed more true to the novels. Of the four novels, I think I enjoyed Red Storm Rising the most. Great submarine warfare action in that one.
I loved the Japanese-American female fighter and the Meteorological officer on Iceland in "Red Storm Rising".

Just a suggestion read "The Cardinal of the Kremlin." It's a really good one with lots of spy action.

halfwaytoheaven

No HfRO quote fest would be complete without:

490_3.jpg

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

PurplePainD

After seeing the Hunt for Red October movie, I rushed out and purchased the book. After that book was devoured in less than 24 hours I went on to read all of Clancy other novels up until the late 90's. Ah, to have that kind of free time again.

Now the only reading I can squeeze in is from all mental midget brethren on KFc

Go Frogs

PhillyFrog

This board is also commonly referred to as "The Republic of Letters".

After seeing the Hunt for Red October movie, I rushed out and purchased the book. After that book was devoured in less than 24 hours I went on to read all of Clancy other novels up until the late 90's. Ah, to have that kind of free time again.

Now the only reading I can squeeze in is from all mental midget brethren on KFc

Go Frogs

JurisFrog

The book is always better. Just like the other movies in the Jack Ryan series. The best book might have been "Red Storm Rising."

You want controversy? Alex Baldwin was easily the best Jack Ryan. Harrison Ford was horrible as was Ben Afleck.

I agree re Baldwin. I thought Ford was decent though. Afleck was absolutely pitiful and that movie was an abomination. The book was long but riveting, but good grief what a bad movie.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I agree re Baldwin.

Somewhat agree - Baldwin set the bar high but the other flicks are good enough for me - as flicks, books are/were tremendously better. New Clancy book due out this Xmas - check amazon.com -- I even thought Sum of all Fears flick was good & timely as it came out around 911, especially the music. I do miss the original Mrs. Jack Ryan (Gates McFadden) tho Anne Archer is easy on the eyes. Bridget Moynihan woulda been fine to keep too.

Here - you decide:

Gates
320x240.jpg

Anne
anne_archer.jpg

or Bridget
Actress%20Bridget%20Moynihan.jpg