• The KillerFrogs

Corvallis Gazette-Times: Hype for OSU-TCU begins already, with a twist

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]Corvallis Gazette-Times: Hype for OSU-TCU begins already, with a twist[/SIZE]

By Cliff Kirkpatrick, Gazette-Times Reporter

The Oregon State football team's season opener is a month away, but the official hype has already started.

Coach Mike Riley was on a conference call Tuesday with opposing coach Gary Patterson of Texas Christian and ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit to promote the game with the Oregon, Dallas and national media.

Herbstreit fired the first salvo with his description of Riley.

"Mike Riley is the most underrated coach in the nation," he said. "This game is a great opportunity for his team to prove themselves against one of the best programs in the country." ...

YA

Patterson is known as a defensive guru and uses OSU's defensive success as a guide to what he does with his team

I sincerely doubt CGP uses osu defense as a guide to what defensive plays we use.

froginaustin

The prank caller's comments let me believe that she knows more of what she speaks, than Cliff Patrick knows of what he writes. :laugh:

Chaps question notwithstanding.

Goo

QUOTE(YA @ Aug 4 2010, 09:43 AM) [snapback]606921[/snapback]
I sincerely doubt CGP uses osu defense as a guide to what defensive plays we use.

HCGP has had #1 DEFENSE IN NATION 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, and 2009.
Gary may be open-minded to new tricks, but he is clearly the master when schools like UT, OU, and Ohio St send coaches to our practices to learn about his defense. If you think about it, it is simply amazing that GP has had the best defense in nation for 5 of 9 seasons. Not a top-10 defense but the #1 defense out of over 100 teams. If anything, his legacy should be wins and dominating defense (also love that he and his players are class).

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/foo...m-total-defense

oldscribe

As an old-time writer I shouldn't be surprised, but it IS surprising how little folks sometimes know about anything more than 100 miles from home.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Goo @ Aug 4 2010, 10:52 AM) [snapback]606980[/snapback]
HCGP has had #1 DEFENSE IN NATION 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, and 2009.
Gary may be open-minded to new tricks, but he is clearly the master when schools like UT, OU, and Ohio St send coaches to our practices to learn about his defense. If you think about it, it is simply amazing that GP has had the best defense in nation for 5 of 9 seasons. Not a top-10 defense but the #1 defense out of over 100 teams. If anything, his legacy should be wins and dominating defense (also love that he and his players are class).

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/foo...m-total-defense

Pretty sure we've only been #1 in Total D four times, not five

macaroni

"Non-BCS" is bad enough, but we have sportswriters still using the term "mid.major"? Vomit. And he writes this knowing TCU will be ranked higher and favored by double digits over a team that is in the hunt to win the Pac10.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Aug 4 2010, 11:22 AM) [snapback]607002[/snapback]
Pretty sure we've only been #1 in Total D four times, not five

2002, but not 2003 or 2005.

macaroni

QUOTE(RSF @ Aug 4 2010, 10:26 AM) [snapback]607011[/snapback]

You mean Goo got his facts wrong? My whole worldview is falling apart...

ftwfrog

"When this game came up, it might not be the best game for the Beavers but we are excited for the opportunity and a great experience for our players," Riley said of his team's win-loss record. "You learn more about yourself in games like this than others. It will help us find our identity. It's daunting but it's great for the Beavers to be involved in a game like this."

I wish more coaches around the nation took this approach.

EDIT: I wish more coaches around Texas took this approach.

Goo

QUOTE(RSF @ Aug 4 2010, 11:26 AM) [snapback]607011[/snapback]

I have actually tried to keep track of this over the years and thought 2003, 2005 were correct.
Can you give link?
It may be that I am included scoring defense and/or yardage defense.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Goo @ Aug 5 2010, 03:24 PM) [snapback]608062[/snapback]
Don't correct somebody unless you have the facts to back it up.

Don't present false statistics as facts.

I don't really feel like googling it, I just know for a fact that we only have four #1 defenses in the school's history, so I highly doubt we have 5 in the past decade.

TCU, Alabama, and Auburn share the all-time record for most #1 defenses in NCAA history with four. TCU has had all of 4 of theirs in the last 10 years.

Houston Frog

Found it (from CGP's bio on GoFrogs)....

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mt...son_gary00.html

Since the NCAA began tracking statistics in 1937, TCU is tied with Alabama and Auburn for the most No. 1 rankings in total defense at four. All four of the Frogs' top marks (2000, 2002, 2008, 2009) have come under Patterson.

Since 2000, TCU's first of four team defensive titles, Virginia Tech is the only other school to finish first more than once (2005, 2006). The Frogs, Hokies and Miami, Fla. (1989, 1994) are the only teams to win the crown at least twice since 1989.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Aug 5 2010, 03:33 PM) [snapback]608071[/snapback]
Don't present false statistics as facts.

I don't really feel like googling it, I just know for a fact that we only have four #1 defenses in the school's history, so I highly doubt we have 5 in the past decade.

TCU, Alabama, and Auburn share the all-time record for most #1 defenses in NCAA history with four. TCU has had all of 4 of theirs in the last 10 years.

it's on the NCAA's official website, too. That's where I got it.

Goo

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Aug 5 2010, 03:37 PM) [snapback]608077[/snapback]
Found it (from CGP's bio on GoFrogs)....

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mt...son_gary00.html

Since the NCAA began tracking statistics in 1937, TCU is tied with Alabama and Auburn for the most No. 1 rankings in total defense at four. All four of the Frogs' top marks (2000, 2002, 2008, 2009) have come under Patterson.

2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, and 2009.

My apologies RSF.
Let the record show it was 4 years and not 5 ......geez
The point that HCGP is a defensive stud remains the same

Regarding my memory that there was another year, It was 2006 that we were #2.....
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?ye...ef&site=org

JugbandFrog

QUOTE(ftwfrog @ Aug 4 2010, 05:17 PM) [snapback]607052[/snapback]
"When this game came up, it might not be the best game for the Beavers but we are excited for the opportunity and a great experience for our players," Riley said of his team's win-loss record. "You learn more about yourself in games like this than others. It will help us find our identity. It's daunting but it's great for the Beavers to be involved in a game like this."

I wish more coaches around the nation took this approach.

EDIT: I wish more coaches around Texas took this approach.

Mack Brown will never win another championship until he realizes this. He won his only championship because of Vince Young.

thetoe

QUOTE(froginaustin @ Aug 4 2010, 07:58 AM) [snapback]606934[/snapback]
The prank caller's comments let me believe that she knows more of what she speaks, than Cliff Patrick knows of what he writes. :laugh:

Chaps question notwithstanding.

Well, it's actually Cliff Kirkpatrick. That being said, you are correct in questioning his knowledge. I don't understand how someone who gets paid to be a writer can do such a poor job. His content and structure leaves me scratching my head most every time I read him.

Paul Buker from the (Portland) Oregonian is the best source for OSU news.