• The KillerFrogs

Conference Title Chances

Purp

f_399 said:
If I could pick a school besides TCU to win the conference and go to the playoffs:
1. OSU
2. OU
9461563616135143536536336153613120321023106514613656135183. Baylor
I'll never hold OU is this high a regard after the Mixon deal.  That guy is trash and he/they deserve the same kind of scrutiny as the Cowboys/Greg Hardy.  OU is only slightly for favorable for me than Baylor and a large part of that has to do with the fact that Norman >>>>>>>>> Waco.

BearlyAFrog

dkfrog said:
I thought about this possibility and came up with two reasons they would continue to pile on points:

1) Art Briles is the type of guy to run up the score even when it's detrimental to his team to do so.
2) They are thinking CFP not conf championship and will want to blow out a highly ranked opponent.
This is based upon past games of scoring 80+ against conference opponents at home, or having the backups play the entire 2nd half when in control? Which one of those options sounds most like Briles?

dkfrog

BearlyAFrog said:
This is based upon past games of scoring 80+ against conference opponents at home, or having the backups play the entire 2nd half when in control? Which one of those options sounds most like Briles?
1) lighten up - #1 was a joke and a meme around here
2) every Baylor fan would be pissed if Briles didn't win by as many pts as possible to better CFP hopes

finafrog

Here is an updated mayhem scenario:

OSU lose to Bay and OK, 2 losses
OK beat TCU, lose to Baylor, 2 losses
Baylor lose to TCU and UT, 2 losses (can you imagine the #baylortears)
TCU lose to OK, beat Baylor, 2 losses

4 true champions?  What are the tiebreakers then?

BearlyAFrog

dkfrog said:
1) lighten up - #1 was a joke and a meme around here
2) every Baylor fan would be pissed if Briles didn't win by as many pts as possible to better CFP hopes
2) If that was the case then we'd be pissed about all but two games this year.

Big 12 is too much up in the air for me to worry about CFP. At least with the conference title, the metrics are obvious to all who participate.

dkfrog

finafrog said:
Here is an updated mayhem scenario:

OSU lose to Bay and OK, 2 losses
OK beat TCU, lose to Baylor, 2 losses
Baylor lose to TCU and UT, 2 losses (can you imagine the #baylortears)
TCU lose to OK, beat Baylor, 2 losses

4 true champions?  What are the tiebreakers then?
I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is eliminate teams based on margin of loss until two teams left. Then H2H.

cdsfrog

FinanceFrog said:
just like our fan base.

Im saying for us to win both, and OSU to lose both. Its about 1%

Our chance to win both is much higher. Although the % depends on Doctson

Frog-in-law1995

dkfrog said:
I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is eliminate teams based on margin of loss until two teams left. Then H2H.
First tiebreaker would be record against 4th-place team, but we would all beat OU (and everybody else) in your scenario, it would come down to total point differential in the games among each other. The team with the lowest total is eliminated, then H2H determines the winner. For us to win a tiebreaker against Baylor and OSU, OSU would have to be the team eliminated on point differential. Right now, they are +20 and we are -20. So we need Baylor to beat OSU by as much as they possibly can, but at least by 21. Then we would then need to beat Baylor by a range of scores that increases by three for every additional point they beat OSU by. Any score below the range eliminates us. Any score above the range eliminates Baylor (which means the tiebreaker becomes H2H result against OSU). Here's the breakdown (I'll spare you the math behind it):

The 1st number is Baylor's margin of victory over OSU, followed by the range we would then need to beat Baylor by in order to have OSU end up with the lowest point differential.

21: 20-21
22: 19-23
23: 18-25
24: 17-27
25: 16-29
26: 15-31
27: 14-33
etc. For each additional Baylor point over OSU, our range by which to beat Baylor increases by 1 point on the low end and 2 points on the high end. (if I had taken a math class since HS, I could probably express that as an algebraic function, but alas, my brain doesn't like it when I attempt things like that).

Of course, keep in mind that Baylor tends not to play as well on the road and has never won in Stillwater. But there's always a chance.

Pharm Frog

Purp said:
I'll never hold OU is this high a regard after the Mixon deal.  That guy is trash and he/they deserve the same kind of scrutiny as the Cowboys/Greg Hardy.  OU is only slightly for favorable for me than Baylor and a large part of that has to do with the fact that Norman >>>>>>>>> Waco.

Haven't read the thread and entered on this post.  Agree completely.

Double V

f_399 said:
OSU losses to OU and Baylor
OU losses to Baylor and TCU
Baylor losses to TCU

TCU in?

In this scenario last year TCU and Baylor would have been co champs, this year it would just be TCU?
If this, then yes. TCU would be Champs in this scenario because of H2H - how ironic ;)

Spike

I just want to win out, and for Baylor to lose every game they ever play in. Otherwise not that interested anymore. Hope we get a cool bowl. 

Genus Rana

dkfrog said:
Nope. IMO, the easiest route to a conf championship for the frogs is a three-way tie btwn TCU, Baylor, and OSU with Baylor beating OSU by 21+ and us beating Baylor by less than that. So...

1) Baylor beats OSU by 21+, wins by any margin vs. OU, and loses to TCU by less than they beat OSU
2) OSU loses to Baylor by 21+ and wins all other games by any margin
3) TCU wins out beating Baylor by less than they beat OSU

Resulting in:

TCU 11-1 with 20 pt loss to OSU
OSU 11-1 with 21+ pt loss to Baylor
Baylor 11-1 with <21+ pt loss to TCU

OSU eliminated on margin of loss
TCU H2H over Baylor

TCU Big 12 champs
Leave it to the Big 12 to come up with tie breaker rules that encourage point shaving.

Double V

dkfrog said:
Nope. IMO, the easiest route to a conf championship for the frogs is a three-way tie btwn TCU, Baylor, and OSU with Baylor beating OSU by 21+ and us beating Baylor by less than that. So...

1) Baylor beats OSU by 21+, wins by any margin vs. OU, and loses to TCU by less than they beat OSU
2) OSU loses to Baylor by 21+ and wins all other games by any margin
3) TCU wins out beating Baylor by less than they beat OSU

Resulting in:

TCU 11-1 with 20 pt loss to OSU
OSU 11-1 with 21+ pt loss to Baylor
Baylor 11-1 with <21+ pt loss to TCU

OSU eliminated on margin of loss
TCU H2H over Baylor

TCU Big 12 champs
I will never understand why they didn't just use biggest margin of victory in the case of a 3-way tie. Really dumb methodology to get it down to 2 and THEN use H2H...