• The KillerFrogs

Coach P on Jack Arute Rick Neuhizle

FrogSwagSurfin

Ron Swanson said:
My point was, the defense is the only reason we were in the position to even be in the game late to begin with. With this offense and a normal D, we would've been blown out of the building and the D never would've even had a chance to make a last stand.

You can only expect a defense to shut down an offense so many times over the course of a game.

Ron is right and to an extent so is Dog Frog.  Almost every game the D serves the game on a silver platter but saying that the defensive needs to step up in those crucial moments.

For the past 5 years our D is the highlight of the team (except pass rush) and we'll be back once we get a decent O line

purplepreacher

yeah, I have to agree with the majority of posters here.  Dunno what GP is up to with those comments.  You can't just lean on the D forever.  Everyone  cracks under pressure over time.  Every soldier knows this. 

Ron Swanson

GeorgeLanescaddy said:

Ron is right and to an extent so is Dog Frog.  Almost every game the D serves the game on a silver platter but saying that the defensive needs to step up in those crucial moments.

For the past 5 years our D is the highlight of the team (except pass rush) and we'll be back once we get a decent O line

With the exception of 2011, that's correct.

That defense was a total dumpster fire.

I agree with y'all about the defense having to step up up late in crucial situations, I just have a hard time hanging a loss on the D when they forced 3 turnovers, forced multiple 3 and outs, held the opposing team to a FG after our offense turned it over on our own 12 yard line, and held the other team to 20 points less than their season average.

FrogSwagSurfin

Ron Swanson said:

With the exception of 2011, that's correct.

That defense was a total dumpster fire.

I agree with y'all about the defense having to step up up late in crucial situations, I just have a hard time hanging a loss on the D when they forced 3 turnovers, forced multiple 3 and outs, held the opposing team to a FG after our offense turned it over on our own 12 yard line, and held the other team to 20 points less than their season average.

Yeah we lead the Big 12 in total sacks and interceptions, I'm sure we also lead the league in time our defense is on the field.

jake102

I was a little disappointed in our defense against UT and WVU... more so WVU. I thought that was an offense we should have kept to under 20 all day, even if our offense went 3 and out every time. Their QB looked terrible, WRs weren't very good. Their RB is the only good player on the team. 

I thought 17 points should have been enough to win it. And 27 certainly should have been enough. 

Our offense was terrible against UT so I definitely give our D a break, but Case McCoy should NEVER throw over your head 3-4 times in a game. 

I'm not in the least trying to pin this season on our defense, but I thought they should have played better the last two games, especially against WVU.

Ron Swanson

Jake102 said:
I was a little disappointed in our defense against UT and WVU... more so WVU. I thought that was an offense we should have kept to under 20 all day, even if our offense went 3 and out every time. Their QB looked terrible, WRs weren't very good. Their RB is the only good player on the team. 

I thought 17 points should have been enough to win it. And 27 certainly should have been enough. 

Our offense was terrible against UT so I definitely give our D a break, but Case McCoy should NEVER throw over your head 3-4 times in a game. 

I'm not in the least trying to pin this season on our defense, but I thought they should have played better the last two games, especially against WVU.

Agree

Get Your Frogs Up

Jake102 said:

No defense in the world could have survived this...

Drive Started Drive Ended Consumed
Team Qtr Spot Time Obtained Spot Time How Lost Pl-Yds TOP RZ
TCU 3rd V02 00:14 Interception V03 00:03 Fumble 1--1 0:11 #
TCU 4th H36 12:12 Kickoff H36 12:04 Interception 1-0 0:08
TCU 4th H16 08:48 Kickoff H17 08:02 Fumble 3-1 0:46

Drive Started Drive Ended Consumed
Team Qtr Spot Time Obtained Spot Time How Lost Pl-Yds TOP RZ
WVU 3rd V03 00:03 Fumble H25 12:21 * FIELD GOAL 9-72 2:42
WVU 4th V44 12:04 Interception H00 08:55 * TOUCHDOWN 7-56 3:09 #
WVU 4th H17 08:02 Fumble H00 07:11 * TOUCHDOWN 3-17 0:51 #

Maybe if that was spread out over a quarter or two, but turning the ball over 3 times in 5 plays in the 4th quarter is just impossible for a defense to overcome.

Frog Attack II

Our D is just getting worn out... after a while, you just can't continually perform at that level... plus, we're starting to see the natural attrition from being on the field so much.  Yes - they need to step up in the crucial parts of the 4th quarter, but it's hard to point the finger in that direction too much...

It's on the offense... and it's on GMFP to fix it.  I made the mistake of watching the '11 Boise game the other night... I dare anyone to watch that game (one of Fuente's best called games IMO) and then watch the plans that have been drawn up since then.  It's amazing the difference in how we attack. I don't think that '11 OL was that great either and Boise wasn't going to let us run the ball at all.  However, we were varied in our attack... we didn't totally give up on the run (so to keep them honest) and we attacked the middle & vertical routes. 

Now what do we do when folks stack the line? We go lateral, throwing the ball 30 yards to the edge to gain 5 and we run zone read.  No creativity and few results.  

Dogfrog

Ron Swanson said:
My point was, the defense is the only reason we were in the position to even be in the game late to begin with. With this offense and a normal D, we would've been blown out of the building and the D never would've even had a chance to make a last stand.

You can only expect a defense to shut down an offense so many times over the course of a game.
Defense is the backbone of our team. You are right that it is our defense that keeps us in games, but that does not excuse allowing the opponent's winning drive at the end of the game. Our truly bad offense has done just enough to have us in position to win maybe 4 times late in games the past two seasons, only to have the defense allow the winning drive. "well yea they were tired" is not an excuse especially when we regularly win TOP. And I think GP knows this.

rifram09

Ya know, I think some of the people in this thread sort of opened my eyes to some defensive blame. I still obviously blame the offense for the season, but our defense hasn't been "elite". I've said since week one that the 3rd down defense against LSU was atrocious. Just stunk something awful. I was really nervous after that game about the defense. They've picked it up a lot, but UT and WVU were pretty bad defensive efforts too. We had OU on the ropes and then the defense let Blake Bell ice the game. All in all that's probably 2 losses worth of flubs. Idk. They were still good enough to win if they had an average to above average offense supporting them.

There have been some defensive lapses for sure and the 3rd down conversion rate against LSU is something that I would point most toward in that regard. But, after that, the defense really played well until the UT game. I think the cumulative effect of playing so many close games the last couple of seasons, together with some players getting banged up, has played a role in that. If you think about it, the offense has been so poor in getting leads that the defensive starters haven't had a game since Grambling last season where they haven't pretty much had to play the entire game. Eventually, that starts to take a toll. Those games against SLA and Kansas where everyone was dying in the stands, think about what playing 4 quarters in that takes out of a defense, playing OSU and UT with them coming off byes, the three and outs, the turnovers.... It all adds up.