• The KillerFrogs

CNNSI's Top 25 Players to look for in MLB draft

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Notable to TCU fans regarding who's not on the list.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_heyman/05/02/draft.top.players/1.html

10 more of great interest

7. Matt Purke, LHP, TCU. The former potential top 3 pick has a shoulder issue, so there's uncertainty. He probably erred by turning down the Rangers' $4 million offer after they drafted him 14th overall in 2009, but being a sophomore-eligible pitcher, he has leverage again, and may be hard to sign again. Things looked good for him after he went he went 16-0 as a freshman, then started strong this year before a dip in velocity and the shoulder discomfort affected his performance. He's 4-1 with a 1.55 ERA.

TCUFrogs

Not good for Matt in the short-term, but in the long-term maybe he'll have a chance to get healthy and have another season at TCU now?

BABYFACE

Purke is gone. Even with him being a little off this season, he still has an ERA of 1.55! I bet most pitchers would love that ERA completely healthy. Teams will not pass on him. It would be different if he had a major injury and had Tommy John surgery, but that is not the case. Maybe Purke doesn't go in the top 5 now, but he will be gone by 15 and most likely top 10 IMO. While I do not have insight into the MLB draft, I don't see too many teams passing on him. A team picking 10 that didn't think they would have a chance for Purke 5 months ago, is licking their chops he might fall to them. Teams like this will not pass on the opportunity to draft Purke IMO. UNless Purke says he wants to come back for another year at TCU, he is gone and will be a 1st rounder.

maxmtex

I agree that Matt will probably go to the pros this summer. He will be picked by someone, at some point, that understands his monetary demands (not sure what that price will be, but assume $3-4 MM). As he and his family did last time, a clear picture will be painted, and the team that drafts him will truly understand that he will not settle for less than he is seeking.

I would guess that either the Yankees or Red Sox will take him near the end of the first round (if someone hasn't done so already) and will meet his number. Any team that drafts him, and fails to offer the required amount, will fare as the Rangers did last year.

Matt's healthy return to the diamond prior to the draft will help him a lot. But even if he has to go to the Cape for a few innings this summer, if he shows he is healthy, he will get his money.

Sangria Wine

It doesn't matter where he is drafted, just how much cash he gets. He can drop into the second round and still get top 5 money. MLB frowns on it and has to approve over the slot contracts but it happens every year. As long as the team that drafts him isn't bankrupt he will get signed this time. I wish we could have him another year but I just can't see it happening. Like frog13 said, the team will know what it will take to sign him so whether it's first round or not the money expectations will be the same. I too can see the Yankees taking him at the very end of the first round and feeling like they stole a top 5 pick. Teams with plenty of money and no desperation for immediate help are the ideal candidate for Purke.

Latest posts