• The KillerFrogs

Chip Brown tweeting about the Big 12 going to 11 teams....

BUGrad95

"In what would prove to be a pay cut for the current members of the Big 12, it appears the conference will grow to 11 members with the additions of West Virginia and Louisville, a key source with knowledge of the situation told Orangebloods.com Thursday.
The Big 12 presidents are expected to meet Monday to vote on the proposal, which appears to have enough support for formal approval, the source said.
It is being called a compromise by Big 12 sources because the eight current members of the league who plan to stay (excluding Texas A&M and Missouri) were split on whether to simply vote for West Virginia or add Louisville as well.
But Monday's vote could also be the death knell for the Big East, possibly allowing West Virginia and Louisville to get out of their current conference without having to pay exit fees or endure a waiting period. The Big East would be down to four football members (UConn, Rutgers, South Florida and Cincinnati), putting its survival as an automatic qualifying conference in serious jeopardy.
If there's not a conference left to collect exit fees and enforce a 27-month waiting period, then West Virginia and Louisville might bolt for the Big 12 in 2012-13 and take their legal chances, sources said. But those decisions haven't yet been made, sources said.
If the Big 12 had remained at 10 schools (after Missouri leaves for the SEC), the TV revenue payout per school would have been roughly $18 million. But that payout will drop to roughly $16.5 million per school in an 11-team league.
While many BYU fans are hoping to join the Big 12, there does not appear to be an interest in adding a 12th full-membership school at the current time, sources said. The Big 12 is hoping Notre Dame will decide in January to move its non-football sports from the Big East into the Big 12 and agree to play up to six football games against Big 12 schools in the future. "
Chip Brown

rifram09

"In what would prove to be a pay cut for the current members of the Big 12, it appears the conference will grow to 11 members with the additions of West Virginia and Louisville, a key source with knowledge of the situation told Orangebloods.com Thursday.
The Big 12 presidents are expected to meet Monday to vote on the proposal, which appears to have enough support for formal approval, the source said.
It is being called a compromise by Big 12 sources because the eight current members of the league who plan to stay (excluding Texas A&M and Missouri) were split on whether to simply vote for West Virginia or add Louisville as well.
But Monday's vote could also be the death knell for the Big East, possibly allowing West Virginia and Louisville to get out of their current conference without having to pay exit fees or endure a waiting period. The Big East would be down to four football members (UConn, Rutgers, South Florida and Cincinnati), putting its survival as an automatic qualifying conference in serious jeopardy.
If there's not a conference left to collect exit fees and enforce a 27-month waiting period, then West Virginia and Louisville might bolt for the Big 12 in 2012-13 and take their legal chances, sources said. But those decisions haven't yet been made, sources said.
If the Big 12 had remained at 10 schools (after Missouri leaves for the SEC), the TV revenue payout per school would have been roughly $18 million. But that payout will drop to roughly $16.5 million per school in an 11-team league.
While many BYU fans are hoping to join the Big 12, there does not appear to be an interest in adding a 12th full-membership school at the current time, sources said. The Big 12 is hoping Notre Dame will decide in January to move its non-football sports from the Big East into the Big 12 and agree to play up to six football games against Big 12 schools in the future. "
Chip Brown

This is interesting. I would be in favor of that. All of the BYU papers are suggesting that BYU could be a football only member to counter ND being an everything-but-football member. That would put us at 13 schools, but only twelve football and twelve olympic sports teams.

New name: The Baker's Dozen Conference?

tcuseagull

Sounds good to me! Whatever gets the Big 12 actually back to twelve members is fine with me! I'm hoping the Big 12 goes ahead ands the 12th team soon. I think they are hoping a miracle comes along and Notre Dame joins as an all-sports member, but their contingency plan is to add Cincinnati for geographic proximity.

JamieThornton

Sounds good to me! Whatever gets the Big 12 actually back to twelve members is fine with me! I'm hoping the Big 12 goes ahead ands the 12th team soon. I think they are hoping a miracle comes along and Notre Dame joins as an all-sports member, but their contingency plan is to add Cincinnati for geographic proximity.

I agree. Adding Louisville and WVU kills the BIg East. THen those two can start play next season. ON top of that, it forces the hand of Notre Dame. The BIg 12 is smart to stay at 11 right now. The BIg Ten did it for 20 years. Even if it takes a season or two. If you could get Notre Dame for all sports down the road and make it number 12...............wow! Can you imagine how awesome that would be for the Big 12!

Limey Frog

Putting all the pieces of recent rumor together... the plan would presumably be that UL + WVU gives you 11. Then add BYU as football only to reach 12 but diffusing all the disagreement with the Coogs about Sunday play in other sports. The goal would then be that with the BE on life-support the promise of Longhorn Network style pseudo-independence the league could land Notre Dame as a non-football member to reach 12 for basketball.

That would be pretty cool in my opinion.

I believe it is still possible for the Big East to stay alive as a conference -- basketball only -- and still collect exit fees. Of course, they could still continue playing football, too, by adding Temple, Villanova and teams like ECU, UCF, Memphis or Marshall.

The exit fees would only be $5 million, though, since none of their targets like Air Force or Navy would join. Their addition is what triggers the $10 million fees.

froginaustin

Why?

Less money
No round-robin schedule
No extra benefit of a championship game.

More teams around when UTx hits the road. The panic to git while the gittins good should be reduced, and the rump league should be more stable.

Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

But if the majority of the B12 is willing to take a haircut on conference distributions at least in the short term(bloggers/media seem to think that would happen, if membership >10), unless university presidents are being irrational (or have suddenly found a sense of honor, not wanting to screw around with WVU or Looyvul after "inviting" 1 or both of them), surely they're preparing for the possibility of further league defections.

And if Mizzou can't leave for 2012, and the BE collapses so that WVU and Looyvul are available, then we have a 12-team league, and at least 1 year to look for another suitable member if MU ever gets its stuff together for the SEC or where ever they think they would be happier.

froginaustin

I believe it is still possible for the Big East to stay alive as a conference -- basketball only -- and still collect exit fees. . . ..

The basketball-only schools seem to be OK with that result, assuming they are responsible for league deadlock over the years on football-expansion, and assuming they are rational actors.

FrogRails

WVU is in (is the ink dry??)

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/201110280034

Twitter popping up with stories that, at least for now, it is "ONLY WVU."

BigEasyFrog

Good.

This whole stuff is beyond unpredictable and stupid most times that I just want this s**t to end, at least for the time being.

WVU is good. If they get Louisiville as well, even better.

Valmy77

Hey thanks Baylor Grad.

Nothing is final though until it is. Now we have reports that we may be staying at 10 with just WV coming out. But, you know, we'll see.

BUGrad95

You are right. We've learned that nothing is official until the ink is dry. I'm wondering if the NCAA approving the $2K per student athlete had something with leaving Louisville out for now. That will increase the expense, particularly for smaller programs. That plus a decrease in tv revenue could have caused the cold feet toward Louisville. Just my own theory.