• The KillerFrogs

Chicago Tribune: Manning and Hawthorne cut from same cloth

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Chicago Tribune: Manning and Hawthorne cut from same cloth

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune Reporter

Everybody wanted to be like "D-Rock.''

The guy better known to Bears fans as Danieal Manning was like a pop star to the kids who grew up near him in Corsicana, Texas.

David Hawthorne, though just three years younger, was one of those awestruck youngsters.

"The first thing that comes to mind is freak athlete,'' Hawthorne said of Manning. "He went to state in three track events. He was a part of a couple of state champions in football. He went to the power lifting championships.

"Just a combination of everything you wanted in a person and an athlete. You couldn't help but look up to the guy."

Nowadays, Hawthorne can see eye to eye with Manning based on what both have accomplished. ...

VA Froggie

Penn St. football used to be all about the linebackers. Well guess what, I think TCU now owns that legacy and guys like Hawthorne, Washington, Phillips, Benson, Carter and Brock will keep the long line going. It's great to be a Frog.

HickoryFlameFrog

A lot to be said for persevering.
Lesson to take to heart for Phillips and Benson, I mean Henson
and many others from TCU.
They have what it takes. Hang in there.

Isn't that a cigarette brand? Benson & Carter?

How about that goal line play by Hawthorne? Seahags not playing well in the snow.

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. Impressive play. He's turning heads. Might need to get out of Seattle though. I hate having a Frog associated with Pete Carroll.

VA Froggie

Well DUH I just corrected my post to include Washington. I guess I'm getting too old to remember all this stuff. But what a list of LB's and the future is looking gooder and gooder. Go Frogs...... How many days until spring practice.... ???? :biggrin:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Well DUH I just corrected my post to include Washington. I guess I'm getting too old to remember all this stuff. But what a list of LB's and the future is looking gooder and gooder. Go Frogs...... How many days until spring practice.... ???? :biggrin:

Might want to update your post to replace Benson and Carter with Henson and Carder. Meanwhile, kick back and light up a Benson & Carter.