• The KillerFrogs

Charlie Strong: The spread allowed TCU to compete with lesser talent

Pharm Frog

FrogLifeYo said:
In the end ... If a school is content with recruiting championships than that's ok by me. You can be me on paper all day as long as we are whooping that [Rod Gilmore] on Sats.
With an occasional Friday thrown in, right?

Frog-in-law1995

Frognosticator said:
Has there ever been a coach who made a more compelling argument for his own firing than what Strong just said?
"I like the way weve handled it as a university, an athletic department, and a football program," Briles told the Waco Tribune-Herald.

Gunner

Let's see, we beat them 50-7 and Turpin scored 4 touchdowns.    And they had better athletes.  Yea, right.  

BTW, Turpin was the best athlete on the field that day.  

Limey Frog

ShreveFrog said:
@DMan - "Lesser athletes" ??? Boykin, Doctson, Turpin, Gray, Listenbee, Green? Cmon man!

Our offensive line...

That's where the spread makes the difference. There are enough speedy receivers and play-makers who have plenty of developing left to do after age 17 that the likes of Boykin, Doctson, or, dare I say, Johnny D-Bag Foozball can slip through without getting every program from coast to coast lusting after them. But there are only so many 330-pound monsters who can move like cats available, its obvious who they are by age 17, and linemen seldom go from being a slow 260-pounder to become a truly elite talent that no one saw coming after they enroll in college. That's the oint of the spread. If you can get the linemen, you do what Alabama does. If you can't, you do what Tech does.

Of you could do what Texas does, which is to recruit linemen like Alabama's but then achieve about what Tech manages regardless.