• The KillerFrogs

Charges Wire: Chargers are hindering WR Quentin Johnston's development

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Chargers are hindering WR Quentin Johnston's development​

Story by Alex Insdorf

The numbers for the Chargers’ 2023 first-round pick Quentin Johnston are not nearly as pretty as some of his draft-class contemporaries. He has 44 yards on six receptions for the season. Against the Cowboys, Johnston had just one official target on Los Angeles’ final drive. That resulted in an interception and Johnston getting pushed over on a debatable pass interference call, but the refs tend to let players play in end-game situations.

Dallas was Johnston’s worst game of the season from a yards-per-route run standpoint. He didn’t seem entirely confident in his routes and ability to separate. That being said, it wasn’t all bad. Johnston did blow by Cowboys cornerback Jordan Lewis for what could’ve been a big play if Justin Herbert wasn’t hit as he threw. And again, while not every route was crisp in the game, the former TCU product has shown the explosiveness the Chargers drafted on reps that didn’t result in receptions.

Read the article at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...wr-quentin-johnston-s-development/ar-AA1iyiC0

hfhmilkman

I don't understand for one second why they drafted him in the first place. They clearly don't have a need at WR.
It was a future play. Keenan Allen is on the other side of 30 and Mike Williams keeps getting hurt. Most rookie WR's do not hit the ground running. The NFL is a route running league. That takes time even for for players with experience going into a new system. Give QJ a couple years and he will be fine.

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
As someone who has him on his fantasy team, I concur.

I knew better. But I got in a bidding war for him in my auction league as people used my Frog bias against me.

Moose Stuff

It was a future play. Keenan Allen is on the other side of 30 and Mike Williams keeps getting hurt. Most rookie WR's do not hit the ground running. The NFL is a route running league. That takes time even for for players with experience going into a new system. Give QJ a couple years and he will be fine.
I'm not sure taking WR that won't help you for several years high in the draft is a great strategy.

hfhmilkman

I'm not sure taking WR that won't help you for several years high in the draft is a great strategy.
I would expected QJ to ready to be a WR2 by next year and fully weaponized the year after. I can't comment what is the best draft strategy. Most positions take a learning curve. I think a RB and some DE's with a simple job are really capable of killing it as a rookie. There are exceptions. Name 1st round rookies beyond Sauce Gardner and Aiden Hutchinson that killed it in the 2022 season?

2themax

Was in a fantasy league only once. Actually won the Super Bowl. Didn't enjoy it because you look at the games different. My drafting strategy was to draft players strictly on how vital they were to the team's scheme and coaching style but never by who was trending. Worked like a charm. Example: took DeSean Jackson simply because he was paired with Andy Reid.

An-Cap Frog

Allen and Williams both become FAs after the 2024-25 season. Maybe their plan is only resign one or trade one away after this season as the Chargers will have $73 million committed to their WR group next year.

Also, Bosa and Mack's salaries basically double in 2024-2025. They are are going to spend $270 million plus on that roster.