• The KillerFrogs

CBS Sports: Army Bowl QB coach Todd Dodge on Martell, Robinson

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
CBS Sports: Army Bowl QB coach Todd Dodge on Martell, Robinson

SAN ANTONIO — Army Bowl practices opened on Monday morning with all eyes on the quarterback position.

The West squad featured two of the nation’s top signal-callers in DeSoto’s Shawn Robinson and Bishop Gorman’s Tate Martell.

Robinson, a TCU commit, was sensational as a senior, passing for 3,416 yards, rushing for 1,439 yards and scoring 47 total touchdowns en route to leading Dallas-area powerhouse DeSoto to a perfect 16-0 record and its first state title.

Read the rest at http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/army-bowl-qb-coach-todd-dodge-on-martell-robinson/

Austintxfrog94

tcuball3 said:
Sounds like Robinson's 16 game season took a toll, he might be headed for a redshirt year
Couple of months away from contact and hopefully he should be feeling fine. If he's as good as we think I hope he gets some playing time next year and ready to takes completely over in 2018.

Young and Horned

He doesn't want playing time, he knows he has to develop more as a passer which is why he wants to become more of a pocket passer that takes advantage of his athleticism. A lot of people are wanting him to come in and be the next Boykin which is not what he wants. 

I personally would rather see him sit and develop until he is ready. 

LSU Game Attendee

I just want to see a competitor come in who wants to win hot damn football games, be it in the veer, the run-and-shoot, the power spread, the air raid spread, or the lonesome polecat.

I hope he is given a fair chance to start as a freshman.  Other less talented freshmen have led big time programs.   Kenny Hill is a just not a leader with fire in his belly.  He will make a good backup like that kid did for rooster.

FBallFan123

tcuball3 said:
Sounds like Robinson's 16 game season took a toll, he might be headed for a redshirt year

This is another reason why I'm good with redshirting Robinson.

With as much running as college QB's do these days, they can take a pounding, we've seen that with TCU just the last two years with Boykin and Hill.

Robinson is listed a little taller and heavier than both, but he'll still just be a true freshman.

I just think it might be better for him to have a year of physical development before he's the starter, as opposed to putting him out there his first year and expose him to a lot of punishment.

jake102

I think everybody would prefer that he redshirts, but the question is, if TCU can win 10 games next year with Robinson or 8 games with Hill, do you redshirt Robinson?

Purp

tcuball3 said:
It just sounds to me like he hasn't had the same amount of time off that the other kids have had.  It seemed to me like he was saying SR would be 100% in a few weeks after fully resting up, but he's still fine to play.  I didn't take away from this that he's banged up and unable to play or that it wouldn't be prudent to play him much.  

FBallFan123

Jake102 said:
I think everybody would prefer that he redshirts, but the question is, if TCU can win 10 games next year with Robinson or 8 games with Hill, do you redshirt Robinson?

In this hypothetical, does Robinson stay healthy the entire season?  If so, sure, I'd take the 10 wins.

I'm not opposed to Robinson playing, just think starting an entire season is a lot for a true freshman.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Chris Leak/Tim Tebow situation, where Hill is the starter but Robinson gets snaps every game.

Could even switch that scenario around and be more like Texas this year, where the freshman (Buechele) started games but the senior (Swoopes) was used in certain situations. 

Either one of those scenarios would save some wear and tear on Robinson.

Mean Purple

Austintxfrog94 said:
Couple of months away from contact and hopefully he should be feeling fine. If he's as good as we think I hope he gets some playing time next year and ready to takes completely over in 2018.
Yep. I'm sure he'll be more than good to go when he gets to campus physically. It's just that time of year where all players need to hit the weight room and put muscle back over bone and bruise. 

He seemed mature in how he handled his business during the playoffs.