• The KillerFrogs

CBS Sports: A day with Gary Patterson, the CEO of TCU Football

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
64442327.jpg

CBS Sports: A day with Gary Patterson, the CEO of TCU Football

by Jeremy Clark

It’s Monday morning and I’m sitting in the parking lot outside Amon G. Carter stadium just counting down the minutes before I’m set to have perhaps the greatest day I’ve ever had covering TCU football. I’m told to arrive at the stadium at 8:30 a.m. to begin this special assignment and I make sure I’m there with plenty of time to spare; the adrenaline in my body for this story won’t let me be late.

That same adrenaline kept me up the night before; it’s not every day you get to spend an entire day with the greatest football coach in TCU history.

I was getting an opportunity many would hope for: I was set to spend a day with Frogs head coach Gary Patterson. I’m getting the chance to be around one of the top head coaches in college football and his staff for a day. 

Read the rest at http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/exclusive-a-day-with-gary-patterson-the-ceo-of-tcu-football/

Bob

Sharp catches something odd about one of the offense’s personnel and Patterson leaves the room to go visit with the offensive coaches

The player's completion percentage is an inverse percentage to the time he has in the pocket. Patterson tells the offensive line coach to stop blocking on pass plays.

Limey Frog

Can't wait to read and see how many phone calls he makes each day to the Waco PD to make legal problems for dangerous thugs magically go away. That's what truly great head coaches do.

TheElephant

If you're not a country fan you may not know Stapleton, but the guy is one of the best artists and has wrote for many famous artists. The Traveller album has some of the best songwriting I've ever heard (no offense SnoSki) and I recommend it to anyone.

FrogLifeYo

TheElephant said:
If you're not a country fan you may not know Stapleton, but the guy is one of the best artists and has wrote for many famous artists. The Traveller album has some of the best songwriting I've ever heard (no offense SnoSki) and I recommend it to anyone.

I love that record..I'm a pedal steel player and I throw it on all the time to play along..

frognutz

Great article.  The nerd in me had to look up if "smelt" was an acceptable alternative for "smelled" and apparently it is, or used to be at least.

Deep Purple

Love Jeremy's enthusiasm and the volume of interesting information but, man, that article had some poorly written parts to it.

"I was green behind the ears"

Mixed metaphors, Jeremy?  It's "I was green" or "I was wet behind the ears" -- never "I was green behind the ears."

"He knows, just as he does, that we all have a job to do."

That awkward phrasing required three reads to figure out what he was trying to say.  Which was, "He knows that we all have a job to do, just as he does."

"He gives me a recap ... knowing better to specifically mention recruits by name;"

I assume Jeremy meant "knowing better than to mention recruits by name."

"It’s a spot on evaluation from the group."

One of the most common errors in written English -- failure to hyphenate a compound word.  Important because it affects meaning.  The above could be interpreted as a blemish on the group evaluation rather than an accurate evaluation, which is what Jeremy intended.  Like  "twenty four foot length of boards."  Does it mean several boards of 24-foot length or 20 boards of 4-foot length?  Hyphenation makes all the difference.

Not important on an informal discussion forum like this, but critical when writing for publication.

"leads me to believe that if Patterson wasn’t able to call a defense, Glasgow will be ready."

Don't mix your verb tenses, Jeremy.  It's "if Patterson wasn't, Glasgow would be" or "if Patterson isn't, Glasgow will be."

"Patterson and Co. really never knows"

Also, don't mix plural subject with singular verb.  It's "Patterson and Co. never know" -- not "never knows."

Just a few of many examples throughout the piece.  Jeremy isn't a bad writer.  But even Hemingway needed a good editor or proofreader.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Deep Purple said:

It's a published sports piece.  Higher standards apply.
Perhaps he was a product of the Indiana public schools. That's how everyone up here speaks. Just surprised there weren't a few 'I seens ' or 'he had wents'.

Just because it is a sports piece shouldn't mean you have no quality control. I think Art Briles may have thought 'it was only sports!'.

FrogsMcGee

Deep Purple said:
Love Jeremy's enthusiasm and the volume of interesting information but, man, that article had some poorly written parts to it.

Mixed metaphors, Jeremy?  It's "I was green" or "I was wet behind the ears" -- never "I was green behind the ears."

That awkward phrasing required three reads to figure out what he was trying to say.  Which was, "He knows that we all have a job to do, just as he does."

"He gives me a recap ... knowing better to specifically mention recruits by name;"

One of the most common errors in written English -- failure to hyphenate a compound word.  Important because it affects meaning.  The above could be interpreted as a blemish on the group evaluation rather than an accurate evaluation, which is what Jeremy intended.  Like  "twenty four foot length of boards."  Does it mean several boards of 24-foot length or 20 boards of 4-foot length?  Hyphenation makes all the difference.

Not important on an informal discussion forum like this, but critical when writing for publication.

"leads me to believe that if Patterson wasn’t able to call a defense, Glasgow will be ready."

Don't mix your verb tenses, Jeremy.  It's "if Patterson wasn't, Glasgow would be" or "if Patterson isn't, Glasgow will be."

Also, don't mix plural subject with singular verb.  It's "Patterson and Co. never know" -- not "never knows."

Just a few of many examples throughout the piece.  Jeremy isn't a bad writer.  But even Hemingway needed a good editor or proofreader.
4b4ac5bd39eb4a0d0be9128794141e32.gif

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Deep Purple said:

Agree, and glad you mentioned every last one of them...just one further refinement though, "...if Patterson weren't able to call..." Using the subjunctive with wishes suppositions and statement contrary to fact.

TheSheik

Deep Purple said:

"Its a spot on evaluation from the group."

"leads me to believe that if Patterson wasnt able to call a defense, Glasgow will be ready."

Jesus

ifrog

Deep Purple said:

"Its a spot on evaluation from the group."

"leads me to believe that if Patterson wasnt able to call a defense, Glasgow will be ready."

He has as much enthusiasm as a guy getting a deep tissue massage