• The KillerFrogs

Can someone explain the baker mayfield situation?

arlington

Tech advisor I'm not challenging your knowledge of the situation but you are a Tech fan more likely to believe KK than Mayfield just as we are more likely to side with Patterson over another kid. To me it doesn't matter who is lying. Give a walk on the scholarship or risk losing him to someone else really that simple. It was KK job to work out the numbers why would a walk on who started from day 1 at the most important position on the field have to wait an additional semester for a scholarship? Just so you can reward another scout team guy? From where I sit there's no way another kid at Tech was more deserving of a scholarship than Mayfield so I tend to believe KK is lying. He had Webb playing and Mahomes coming in and probably hated Mayfield and his dad and that's fine but when the kid won't play by your rules and allow you to leverage him you shouldn't get pissed and take it out on him that's how it looks.

Chongo94 said:
Kyler Murray isn't all that either. OU's qbs haven't struck fear in me in years.
Last one too was Sam Bradford... After that, been pretty weak.

Crazy to think we've had two far superior QB's to anything OU could recruit since Sam Bradford

Edit: same goes for UT and Colt McCoy.. Crazy

Pharm Frog

arlington said:
Tech advisor I'm not challenging your knowledge of the situation but you are a Tech fan more likely to believe KK than Mayfield just as we are more likely to side with Patterson over another kid. To me it doesn't matter who is lying. Give a walk on the scholarship or risk losing him to someone else really that simple. It was KK job to work out the numbers why would a walk on who started from day 1 at the most important position on the field have to wait an additional semester for a scholarship? Just so you can reward another scout team guy? From where I sit there's no way another kid at Tech was more deserving of a scholarship than Mayfield so I tend to believe KK is lying. He had Webb playing and Mahomes coming in and probably hated Mayfield and his dad and that's fine but when the kid won't play by your rules and allow you to leverage him you shouldn't get pissed and take it out on him that's how it looks.

I have no problem with anything you said except that it has been confirmed (by the conference commissioner) that KK told BM that he would be put on scholarship.  And it works both ways...BM probably saw that he had Webb on the roster with Mahomes coming in and he and his daddy wanted out.  He could have walked on at OU just as easily as he walked on at Tech as a freshman.  Regardless, he could have transferred to any school outside the conference and not been subjected to the conference rule in place at the time.  He chose not to do this and placed himself under the rule.  He chose.  Not KK.  And then he wants to cry about the rule that he knowingly subjected himself to?  Pathetic display by the conference.

arlington

Fair enough let me clarify I don't care what KK verbally said if the scholarship offer isn't in writing it's not acceptable IMO. Pharmacy I agree Mayfield probably saw the other QBs and realized he was being leveraged and wanted out but I just don't believe a kid paying his way should have to live under the same rules. How would you feel if it was your son who walked on, started half a season, did well but because he's not the coaches prototype at QB the coach treats him like the walkon he is and says we will get around to your scholar eventually? I'd be pissed.. Don't play my kid fine but why should I pay an extra semester so you can keep your frosh db last seen punching a girl on the basketball court on scholarship? If KK can show some paperwork I might feel differently but as it is I think the B12 did right by the student athlete in this case

Chongo94

Either way, whomever is actually telling the truth, I think general consensus is that both have been known to act like supreme dbags a time or two....or on numerous occasions. Seems like the rule is now in place so done and dusted for all I care.

Separating the rule from the player/schools/personalities/hissy fit level, it makes sense.  If a player is not on scholarship and has no written assurance of it (we can all think of a few college coaches who would hang a player out to dry) then the player should be able to go wherever the best opportunity presents itself.  The transfer rules are intended to promote stability and prevent tampering with scholarship athletes.  If a coach wants to control a player's right to transfer and even further restrict the player's ability to transfer in conference, it's really easy: give the player a binding scholarship offer.

Pharm Frog

arlington said:
Fair enough let me clarify I don't care what KK verbally said if the scholarship offer isn't in writing it's not acceptable IMO. Pharmacy I agree Mayfield probably saw the other QBs and realized he was being leveraged and wanted out but I just don't believe a kid paying his way should have to live under the same rules. How would you feel if it was your son who walked on, started half a season, did well but because he's not the coaches prototype at QB the coach treats him like the walkon he is and says we will get around to your scholar eventually? I'd be pissed.. Don't play my kid fine but why should I pay an extra semester so you can keep your frosh db last seen punching a girl on the basketball court on scholarship? If KK can show some paperwork I might feel differently but as it is I think the B12 did right by the student athlete in this case

Since you put it that way.  If it were my kid and he wanted to transfer to get playing time or because he felt disrespected or whatever, we would look at the rules in play and decide if he would be content transferring to an in-conference school and losing an extra year or transfer to an out-of-conference school and be subject only to the NCAA transfer rule.  It would be that simple.  But I can guarantee you that we would not have hired attorneys to petition the NCAA for relief nor would we have whined about being subject to a rule that was known about from the very beginning.

arlington

Pharm I respect the fact that you would not have gone through that to try and initiate a rule change when you knew it going in. However I would still respect your decision if you pursued it because it's a stupid rule and only hurts the student athlete. this rule has no business being enforced on walkons

TechAdvisor

arlington said:
It was solely a timing issue.  ALL the scholarships were handed out before Baker Mayfield stepped onto campus in late August.  3 months later Mayfield was demanding a scholarship.  Is Kingsbury supposed to take a scholarship away from a kid in November and give it to Mayfield?  That would be a horrifically terrible thing to do to a kid.  

Kingsbury did what literally everyone with an ounce of integrity would have done in that same situation.  Gave the kid his word that he would have a scholarship in 2 months(Bowlsby confirmed Kingsbury was telling the truth).  Mayfield had already paid tuition for the fall semester.  Even if Kingsbury would have ripped a scholarship away from some poor kid it wouldn't have changed one cent for Mayfield's financial situation.  

The truth is that Mayfield was just sacked 7 times vs UT and was playing terrible at the time so Kingsbury opened up the competition and told Mayfield and Webb they were going to split reps 50/50.  Mayfield refused to compete, walked in and quit.  He immediately ran to ESPN and told Jake Trotter that Kingsbury refused to give him a scholarship.  

Pharm Frog

arlington said:
Pharm I respect the fact that you would not have gone through that to try and initiate a rule change when you knew it going in. However I would still respect your decision if you pursued it because it's a stupid rule and only hurts the student athlete. this rule has no business being enforced on walkons

There are plenty of stupid rules in life that people have to abide by.  I'm not sure just how stupid this rule is because I can see it being exploited sort of like NFL teams exploit practice squad players to get inside info on other teams. But even if it is completely stupid and absent an ounce worth of merit, I think it would be doing my kid a terrible disservice to teach him that rules he knowingly and willingly placed himself under could be changed retroactively.  How many other schools could have transferred to?  Hundreds.  But he chose one of the nine.

Tom Brown

TechAdvisor said:
It was solely a timing issue.  ALL the scholarships were handed out before Baker Mayfield stepped onto campus in late August.  3 months later Mayfield was demanding a scholarship.  Is Kingsbury supposed to take a scholarship away from a kid in November and give it to Mayfield?  That would be a horrifically terrible thing to do to a kid.  

Kingsbury did what literally everyone with an ounce of integrity would have done in that same situation.  Gave the kid his word that he would have a scholarship in 2 months(Bowlsby confirmed Kingsbury was telling the truth).  Mayfield had already paid tuition for the fall semester.  Even if Kingsbury would have ripped a scholarship away from some poor kid it wouldn't have changed one cent for Mayfield's financial situation.  

The truth is that Mayfield was just sacked 7 times vs UT and was playing terrible at the time so Kingsbury opened up the competition and told Mayfield and Webb they were going to split reps 50/50.  Mayfield refused to compete, walked in and quit.  He immediately ran to ESPN and told Jake Trotter that Kingsbury refused to give him a scholarship.  
Bakefield be actin like a Lil ole witch sometimes

arlington

Tech you may be absolutely correct but IMO none of it matters. The kid paid his own way, period. A man of integrity should probably found a way to give the kid a scholarship 2nd semester or understand that he may lose the kid and if so wish him the best as he moves on. There's no way Tech had zero kids transfer out, get thrown out of school, something to where he had no scholars available. And once again Using Bowlsby as a source of verification doesn't impress me what would impress me is seeing the actual scholarship offer in writing. None of this matters or should matter he was a walkon that trumps all when your daddy has to write a check to a university. And then you expect him to write another one because the coach wink wink promises a scholie in a few months? A verbal scholarship don't mean diddly..Mayfield was horrible last few games at Tech..check..Mayfield is a whiny daddy's boy afraid of competition..fine.. None of it matters cuz he's a....WALKON!!

RedSoxFrog

It is a terrible rule that really has nothing to do with him being a walk on. A normal transfer with a unused RS burns his RS in that year he has to sit out. But in the Big12 he has to burn an actual playing year not a RS. The fact that he walked on both places just exacerbates the bad rule.