• The KillerFrogs

can addition of Utah to Pac 10 generate enough revenue

Can the addition of Utah to the pac 10 generate enough new funds to warrant the other schools taking a 1/12 over a 1/11 share, even with a champ game?

50FT FROG

QUOTE(forgottenera @ Jun 15 2010, 01:21 PM) [snapback]579432[/snapback]
Can the addition of Utah to the pac 10 generate enough new funds to warrant the other schools taking a 1/12 over a 1/11 share, even with a champ game?

the only conference championship game that makes money is the sec ..... acc is losing it's shirt on their game and the big 12 was essentially breaking even.

Sponger

good questions....I can't see it. I wouldn't think the SLC TV market plus the champtionship game comes close to covering it what it would take to increase the revenue. And I would think the other teams would want a lot more revenue, not just a little more. Having to play a conference champtionship game makes a semi-tough PAC-11(12) that much harder for them to get into the BCS Champtionship game.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I think its telling that Larry Scott even mentioned that a Pac-11 is an option. That tells me its more than an option. Maybe its just wishful thinking, but if Utah were on their radar as a 12th team (as opposed to a 16th), wouldn't there be an offer within 5 minutes of UT's rejection? Even as damage control?

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(forgottenera @ Jun 15 2010, 08:21 AM) [snapback]579432[/snapback]

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(forgottenera @ Jun 15 2010, 08:21 AM) [snapback]579432[/snapback]

I keep going back to the P10 conference meeting two weeks ago. Larry Scott proposed several expansion options to the presidents/chancellors, one of them was the Utah/Colorado option. It got virtually no support at all, so I have to believe that adding Utah would be viewed as an abject failure by the conference. When Scott commented that the P10 might stay at eleven members, I believe there is a chance that Utah might not be leaving the MWC.

Without adding the extra teams to get to 16, I bet the PAC-10 may regret taking Colorado now. With the way the PAC -16 would have been configured, virtually all of the traditional rivalries would have been left intact. If they add a 12th team and split into 2 divisions, or do not play a complete round robin format every year, some rivalries will likely be disrupted, similar to the ending of the Nebraska - OU rivalry caused by the formation of the Big 12.

Frog89

Not sure what Utah brings to the Pac 10 except to take more of every team's share. But if Utah gets offered, they be foolish not to jump at it.