• The KillerFrogs

BREAKING: Justice Department opens antitrust inquiry into college bowl process

57Frog

In playoffs the current nonAQ teams will still have to share playoff bowl $ and the AQ conferences will still have their big contracts and be seen on TV during peak hours only sharing revenue within their conference.
The difference I see is Boise having a better rating and better record than Uconn and Vtech and still being excluded .
In my opinion the top 10 teams should be in the games irregardless of conference ,period .

This is a big reason for Big East to really make a move to get an new TV contract in place. I believe even if college football goes to a playoff they will still honor the contracts currently in place with the AQ conferences. It would be nice for Big East to land a lucrative deal before playoffs take place so they do not get pushed back to the TV revenue level of the Mountain West Conference and other nonAQ conferences.

frogbyproxy

"opened an antitrust inquiry"

All this means is another year of investigation which means we will be in the BCS after getting shafted for NCG for how many possible times? Thanks Justice Department. The playoffs is the best idea but should not be governed by just a few but all conferences. Make sure one is left out if possible "Ut shorthorns". :tongue:

Army Frog Fan

Wasted money is state schools losing money when these bowls make a killing. UConn losing all that money was taxpayer money being lost in some way shape or form. The BCS is a sham and it needs to go down and the only people that can do it is the US govt because the school administrators are getting fat off the BCS big wigs.

Agree with most of what you said. There are very few things that the US gov't is the only one qualified to do. As you said, state schools have a problem. Then those respective states bear the burden to address the issue.

I would prefer the DOJ to deal with what I consider bigger issues, like prosecuting terrorists, enforcing the border, managing the ATF, etc. Surely, they have enough on their plate not to worry about college football.

pgdaly84

Agree with most of what you said. There are very few things that the US gov't is the only one qualified to do. As you said, state schools have a problem. Then those respective states bear the burden to address the issue.

I would prefer the DOJ to deal with what I consider bigger issues, like prosecuting terrorists, enforcing the border, managing the ATF, etc. Surely, they have enough on their plate not to worry about college football.

I agree that the DOJ should be focused on big issues. However, this is a big issue! Read Death to the BCS. We are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars, a majority of it in tax payer money that is flushed down the drain. One way to fix the economy is to eliminate wasteful spending. Can't think of a better example of wasted taxpayer money than the BCS. Ohio State LOST money going to the 2010 Rose Bowl for goodness sakes, and they are one of the largest state schools in the country. In fact, a majority of teams in BCS games actually lose money, despite the payouts. The number one defense from the BCS is "I'm sure the government has more important issues to deal with than how college football plays its games". It's a smokescreen, nothing more. Because if the government actually does look into where all this money is going and how the system is structured, it will see that it desperately needs to be fixed. Just look at the Fiesta Bowl.

HG73

In playoffs the current nonAQ teams will still have to share playoff bowl $ and the AQ conferences will still have their big contracts and be seen on TV during peak hours only sharing revenue within their conference.

Playoffs will not make it easier for the current nonAQ to get to the final game it will just cut out bowl games in which the current nonAQ would have recieved some type of $$, extra practices, and reward. Even Gary Patterson believes this and has spoken that a playoff system would not be fair or the answer. I am right with Gary Patterson and believe this is the real truth.

IMO Coach Patterson has always backed the bowl system vs playoff to keep his team motivated. No point in going into your bowl game saying "This game is stupid, we should have a playoff". Plus that disrespects the bowl that's hosting his team. I believe he would relish a playoff, assuming that entrance to the playoff is fair.

My playoff scenario involves the top eight conference champions as voted by polls of the writers and coaches. Three weeks of fantastic football during the holiday break with first round games at the higher seed's home stadium, semis and finals at neutral sites. You want in the tournament? Win your conference. The polls will eliminate the three weakest conference champs (Sunbelt, MAC and CUSA most years). This leaves plenty of teams for the traditional bowls, keeps the playoffs reasonably short to protect the players (who don't miss any class time), and keeps some team that didn't even win their conference from playing for the title. Plenty of $$ to be shared by everyone.

And clean up the remaining bowls so that teams who participate actually make money instead of losing money.

mtmedlin

In the history of college football I have never seen a year that a +1 system wouldnt have fixed any and all controversy. Last year is the perfect example. TCU is undefeated....Auburn is undefeated. After all is said and done, they are all that is left...so you make them play for the national championship. This is SO easy to fix.

Step 1
Convert the Cotton Bowl to being a BCS bowl, so that we still have 5 BCS bowls.

Step 2
The top 2 teams left after all bowls have been played go to the Championship game...Voila. DONE!

If we want to be super fair, we could add a 6th BCS bowl game and then gurantee a spot for all non AQs. We have the top 2 Non AQ conferences play a "qualifying" game. The winner goes to a BCS bowl....in which more then likely they will get the living [Craig James] kicked out of them but at least the Senators from Utah will be happy.

Army Frog Fan

In the history of college football I have never seen a year that a +1 system wouldnt have fixed any and all controversy. Last year is the perfect example. TCU is undefeated....Auburn is undefeated. After all is said and done, they are all that is left...so you make them play for the national championship. This is SO easy to fix.

Step 1
Convert the Cotton Bowl to being a BCS bowl, so that we still have 5 BCS bowls.

Step 2
The top 2 teams left after all bowls have been played go to the Championship game...Voila. DONE!

If we want to be super fair, we could add a 6th BCS bowl game and then gurantee a spot for all non AQs. We have the top 2 Non AQ conferences play a "qualifying" game. The winner goes to a BCS bowl....in which more then likely they will get the living [Craig James] kicked out of them but at least the Senators from Utah will be happy.

I mostly agree with you, except that first part. I give you the 2005 season.

Final BCS rankings:
1. USC 12-0
2. Texas 12-0
3. Penn St 11-1
4. Ohio State 9-2
5. Oregon 10-1
6. ND 9-2
7. UGA 10-2
8 Miami 9-2

Not sure how a +1 would have made anything better or clearer that season

mtmedlin

I mostly agree with you, except that first part. I give you the 2005 season.

Final BCS rankings:
1. USC 12-0
2. Texas 12-0
3. Penn St 11-1
4. Ohio State 9-2
5. Oregon 10-1
6. ND 9-2
7. UGA 10-2
8 Miami 9-2

Not sure how a +1 would have made anything better or clearer that season

A plus one would have put USC vs Texas...two undefeateds playing for the title. How would that not have cleared things up? (other then the fact that we never want Texas to win a championship)