• The KillerFrogs

Baseball RPI

PurplePutt

Horns are #28 in this Boyd's World pseudo rpi listing:

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

Kirk Bohls said this in Austin American Statesman about this:

"The Texas baseball team needs to finish ahead of Texas A&M or Oklahoma State in the final Big 12 standings or risk losing an all-important top-eight national seed, which assures home-field advantage for NCAA regionals and super-regionals. I'm assuming the 30-win Longhorns are a lock as a top 16 regional host, but according to WarrenNolan.com, they have only a 22 RPI and a low 77 strength-of-schedule rating, in part because they didn't play Rice, TCU or Cal State Fullerton this year, and their two wins over Stanford don't register as well because the Cardinal entered the weekend in seventh place in the Pac 10."

http://www.statesman.com/sports/9-things-and-1-crazy-prediction-for-this-1430540.html

Just found this interesting that he thinks UT is a lock to host a regional with that high of an RPI. Have read some on here saying that RPI was all important in hosting a regional and that it would be almost impossible for them to get a top 16 RPI?

ftwfrog

Just found this interesting that he thinks UT is a lock to host a regional with that high of an RPI. Have read some on here saying that RPI was all important in hosting a regional and that it would be almost impossible for them to get a top 16 RPI?
You didn't read far enough into the NCAA rule book. Section 47, clause 1AA of the book says that if the UT baseball team has 9 players with a pulse, they will host a super-regional and be a top 8 national seed. Now, let's see if they are smart enough to not put those pesky Horned Frogs in that same bracket. :biggrin:

We've all become Nebraska fans. They play both TAMU and UT in weekend series in the next few weeks. If Nebraska and TAMU can sweep or win their series against UT, it'll put us in much better position to host a regional.

cdsfrog

I still think that as long as we finish strong, we host a regional

still think RPI is total crap.

we could literally go 20-0 winning all regular season games and the MWC tourney and still not host a super regional.

I think at least in the last 23 games tcu has proved to be a top 8 team, definitely top 16.

That being said vandy and Virginia are really good....

Pharm Frog

We've all become Nebraska fans. They play both TAMU and UT in weekend series in the next few weeks. If Nebraska and TAMU can sweep or win their series against UT, it'll put us in much better position to host a regional.

Got no problem with being a Husker fan for a while (been there and done that in football a couple of years ago), but I've seen NU play several times this year and I wouldn't hold my breath for them to take a series against either school. They do have some arms and have played quite a few very low run-total ballgames so it's possible. I think that they gave up something like 6 runs in a three game set against UCLA earlier this year. As for scoring, in their last ten games the Huskers have scored no more than 5 runs in any of those games and they are averaging less than 4 runs per game in their last 16. Go Huskers!

ftwfrog

A&M, UT and TCU could all host regionals right?? Or are we banking that OU will certainly host a regional, kind of leaving not many teams left in the "region"? I am thinking that with our impressive run last year, our attendance, and facilities, we have a great chance. Of course, we got to stay the course.