• The KillerFrogs

Back to the future

mtmedlin

The BE will be on ESPN. Comcast, Fox and Versus can all drive up the cost (please do!) but in the end, ESPN MUST have the BE. Remember that ESPN was built on BE basketball. It was their staple and got them started. Their offices are up in the northeast and there is no way they will let the BE go....they may even offer us a little more lucrative deal in order to secure certain B12 teams.
There is no way we end up on versus.

Limey Frog

Why would CBS College Sports - the MWC rights holder - EVER agree to that?

People keep forgetting that neither Comcast or Versus own any MWC rights. They own The Mtn (or rather, half of it), but they still need to deal with CBS College Sports for content.

Yes, I did get that confused. In that case, CBS is the party to blame. Thompson pitched the MWC game-of-the-week idea on CBS before the SEC pretty hard and got nowhere, right? Now they're stuck with Fresno State on their crappy cable channel.

Well, NBC or ESPN would probably be ok in that case. I don't care really, so long as we're nationally televised, don't have to play on short weeks, and make more money than Baylor.

fwfrog

My prediction:

The Big East creates a bidding war...we go with ESPN for every thing

One other possibility is to keep Basketball on ESPN, Most of FB still on ESPN but also have a BE game of the week when Notre Dame is on the road on NBC.

ESPN absolutely loves the Big East for basketball as they get star treatment and they offer lots of inventory...they won't want to lose that.

Never break up the inventory. It is what gives the BE strength in the negotiations. It will put substantial pressure on ESPN.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
There is no way we end up on versus.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Sublicensing agreements are pretty common. Its how the Big 12 and Pac 10 ended up on Versus in the 1st place. And there's only so many time slots on ESPN channels to go around.

WVUFan

BE will not go NBC route. Not enough exposure like fox or ESPN could give them. if fox games would be on Fox, FX, TNT, ECT just like the NCAA tournie will be this year.

BE will take in offers from ESPN, NBC, and FOX.

Ultimately it will come down to FOX and ESPN with a very crazy high number and then ESPN will out bid Fox and ESPN and CBS does not want to lose BE basketball for anything.

Endless Purple

Not being on an ESPN contract did not hurt us. We would not have jumped Oregon or Auburn regardless, and we finished the season ranked #2.

SEC football is king with ESPN. If ESPN means 3-5 games not televised plus a couple on weeknights, I am all against it.

Anything short of all games on TV on a Saturday is a step backward.

WVUFan

Not being on an ESPN contract did not hurt us. We would not have jumped Oregon or Auburn regardless, and we finished the season ranked #2.

SEC football is king with ESPN. If ESPN means 3-5 games not televised plus a couple on weeknights, I am all against it.

Anything short of all games on TV on a Saturday is a step backward.

Then you do not know BCS tv spots them

every conference played 5 week night games at least last year

Endless Purple

Then you do not know BCS tv spots them

every conference played 5 week night games at least last year
TCU didn't play any, and we had our highest average attendance ever. Week night games are bad for attendance. Plus there is a stigma attached to Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday night games - comes off as lower levels of football to be stuck on those nights.

bigdmtneer

Thursday night games in Morgantown are very special.Usually a packed house full of electricity.
With that said Monday-Wednesday games are usually MAC or C-USA games...I disagree with the Friday games because of high school games.

mtmedlin

Let me clarify my statement. We may end up having games on versus but the tv contract will be held by ESPN. Everybody is going to bid on our new contract but in the end, ESPN will pay what it has to. I am guessing it will be around a 10 year 1.5 billion contract. Roughly equal to 15 million per team per year. I would really prefer a 5 year deal. I trully hope that they make certain to end our contract just after the ACC. Our timing is perfect. All other conferences are getting their contract and then we will negotiate ours. It leaves us in a position to prey on the fact that several tv networks will have not won any major contracts and will be willing to pay (or at least drive up the price) to get the BE.

froginaustin

My prediction:

The Big East creates a bidding war...we go with ESPN for every thing

One other possibility is to keep Basketball on ESPN, Most of FB still on ESPN but also have a BE game of the week when Notre Dame is on the road on NBC.

ESPN absolutely loves the Big East for basketball as they get star treatment and they offer lots of inventory...they won't want to lose that.
Wonderful.

The whole conference gets sloppy seconds for the 3 road games that ND plays per year. :rolleyes:

Latest posts