• The KillerFrogs

AP: Texas, Rice lose, face elimination

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
AP: Lyon's slam leads Kent State past Texas 7-5

The Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas — David Lyon hit a grand slam to key Kent State's six-run sixth inning and the Golden Thrashers stunned Texas 7-5 in the Austin Regional on Saturday night.

"There were no outs when I came up, and I was just trying to get a hit and come up big for my team," Lyon said.

Andrew Chafin (8-1) allowed four hits and four runs in 8 2-3 innings for Kent State (45-15).

"He was able to throw his two pitches for strikes," Texas shortstop Brandon Loy said of Chafin. "Coming in with the scouting report, we were going to try to lay off his change up and hit the fastball and he happened to be throwing his off-speed for a first strike tonight. It made it tough on us." ...

AP: Turley pitches Baylor past Rice 3-2

The Associated Press

HOUSTON — Baylor's Josh Turley wasn't going to admit he was tired.

Turley scattered seven hits in a complete-game 3-2 victory over Rice in the Houston Regional on Saturday night.

Turley (4-5) gave up two runs and struck out seven as Baylor (31-26) moves on to the regional final Sunday.

"I felt very good," Turley said. "I was able to get the ball down, but I started leaving it up a little. I just tried to attack and be aggressive. After I gave up the two runs, coach (Steve Smith) came over to me and asked me if I was tired, but I wasn't going to tell him I was. I went out there and made pitches." ...