• The KillerFrogs

Any East Side, other big university news?

TCUdirtbag

(1) I'm tired of aTm/SEC/expansion threads
(2) I'm curious:

So, the following is a list of things that are allegedly on the verge of "happening" at TCU. I know many of you think you know the status of these, but does anyone have any credible info on them?---
- East Side: is funding in place? when will we see renderings?
- Baseball: last year there were rumblings about new locker rooms & batting cages? what happened?
- Olympic Sports: that facility was initially tabbed #1 pre-stadium. Is it alive or dead?
- Campaign for TCU: after nearly hitting 150% of its goal (April), all is silent. Any idea where it stands?
- Scholarship Campaign: is this holding other announcements off? seems like it's progressing slowly toward $100M
- Academic Facilities: lots of rumblings about library expansion/renovation (~50 Million), and the planned school of music monstrosity (~90 Million). are these still in the "dream" phase, or is either one close to coming to reality?
- Residential Facilities: supposedly the Board approved sophomore housing on bellaire north/stadium for completion by fall 2012--has anyone seen dirt work--that's a tight timeline? also lots of greek housing speculation--my days in worth hills would've been better with staffed house for sure, hope to see new houses soon.

Deep Purple

(1) I'm tired of aTm/SEC/expansion threads
Laws, preach it brother. We have our season opener in just over two weeks and all we're talking about is Texas A&M and the SEC. It's enough to make you hurl.

So, the following is a list of things that are allegedly on the verge of "happening" at TCU. I know many of you think you know the status of these, but does anyone have any credible info on them?---
- East Side: is funding in place? when will we see renderings?
The funding is in place. The design is not quite. Should see conceptuals within a few weeks.

- Baseball: last year there were rumblings about new locker rooms & batting cages? what happened?
Can't speak to this. No knowledge.

- Olympic Sports: that facility was initially tabbed #1 pre-stadium. Is it alive or dead?
It's alive but demoted. Lowered in priority compared to stadium fundraising and the new weight training/conditioning facility. However, a few million has been raised for it, and it will be done in the near future. I just can't tell you exactly when.

- Campaign for TCU: after nearly hitting 150% of its goal (April), all is silent. Any idea where it stands?
Currently at something like $392 million and counting. (Not at work, so I can't give you precise numbers.) Official goal = $375 million. Unofficial goal = $400 million. Campaign end-date = May 31, 2012.

- Scholarship Campaign: is this holding other announcements off? seems like it's progressing slowly toward $100M
Currently at $82 million+. It's a sprint to reach the $100 million goal by campaign end.

- Academic Facilities: lots of rumblings about library expansion/renovation (~50 Million), and the planned school of music monstrosity (~90 Million). are these still in the "dream" phase, or is either one close to coming to reality?
Library and music complex are in planning, with initial designs completed, but not part of this campaign. Possible next big priority is Bass building renovation and expansion. Harris College is out of room and, in past 15 years, all other college facility needs have been at least partially addressed.except Harris. Neglected until now, and needs attention.

- Residential Facilities: supposedly the Board approved sophomore housing on bellaire north/stadium for completion by fall 2012--has anyone seen dirt work--that's a tight timeline? also lots of greek housing speculation--my days in worth hills would've been better with staffed house for sure, hope to see new houses soon.
Part of the long-term plan. Don't expect to see it in the next year or three.

TCUdirtbag

Thanks, Deep. This is far more interesting than expansion. Sounds like $400M for the campaign will be in place by the end of the calendar year. Crazy to think the initial target twas $250M by the end of May 2012.

Hurry up, September.

Stiff Arm Frog

Jesus, $400 million? Where does TCU keep coming up with this kind of cash and in this kind of economy? Our entire endowment is just barely $1 Billion. I mean, I can understand a fundraiser every now and then, but it's like every year it's a brand new project that gets its own funding.

Somebody out there has some deep pockets, so much so that, quite frankly, I'm a little intimidated by it.

Opintel

Moderators
Jesus, $400 million? Where does TCU keep coming up with this kind of cash and in this kind of economy? Our entire endowment is just barely $1 Billion. I mean, I can understand a fundraiser every now and then, but it's like every year it's a brand new project that gets its own funding.

Somebody out there has some deep pockets, so much so that, quite frankly, I'm a little intimidated by it.
If, a decade ago, somebody had told me the enthusiasm and excitement level at TCU would be this high - I'd have said they were nuts!

Whoever they are, blessings on you for your gifts. From all of us who are benefitting, consider yourself hugged. :biggrin:

Wow,
Roy

PurplePutt

Yes. Those greedy millionaires and billionaires should be paying their fair share and giving their money to the federal government to waste instead of wasting it themselves on higher education. Obama is much smarter than any of those real successful people and knows way better how to spend their money. It's true, I just watched him give a speech on TV and that is essentially what he said.

Houston Frog

Yes. Those greedy millionaires and billionaires should be paying their fair share and giving their money to the federal government to waste instead of wasting it themselves on higher education. Obama is much smarter than any of those real successful people and knows way better how to spend their money. It's true, I just watched him give a speech on TV and that is essentially what he said.

Solid attempt at thread-derailment

jack the frog

Does anyone know if those fancy new luxury apartments I saw a thread on last week are part of the dorm model or are they special condo rentals or something different? From an old Pete Wright guy something like that as dorm material is almost beyond comprehension. Really nice.

TCUdirtbag

Does anyone know if those fancy new luxury apartments I saw a thread on last week are part of the dorm model or are they special condo rentals or something different? From an old Pete Wright guy something like that as dorm material is almost beyond comprehension. Really nice.

I think you're referring to the new off-campus complex on university, south of the TCU florist and south east of Albertsons (now Kroger). Geared toward TCU juniors/seniors, but not a TCU project

jack the frog

I think you're referring to the new off-campus complex on university, south of the TCU florist and south east of Albertsons (now Kroger). Geared toward TCU juniors/seniors, but not a TCU project

Thanks
I thought TCU was expensive in 1982. Compared to tuition today and then renting something like that too boot it almost makes that seem like state college cost. You can sure see where the money went though.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Always informative - thanks Deep. That said, I'll start a betting pool on when the "temp" BECK construction office is finally removed from campus parking lot between Foster & Colby. I'l start the betting at.......2015.