• The KillerFrogs

A possible snag with AFA-to-the-Big East

HFrog1999

Bingo--that is why if the big 12 offers, HA!, we have to take it.

facepalm.gif

BE is being stupid not offering all sports. If this conference wants to continue to play FB, invitees must be offered all sports. Time for FB schools and Commish to tell BB schools shut up and sit down. If they would have done this over a year ago Pitt and CUSE may not have initiated contact with ACC.

I totally agree! These basketball schools are just as much if not more of a destabilizer than UT. They have no right to tell the football schools what to do with that side of the TV contract when they do not even play football. That is why I do not like this league and would ether like to see the football schools split from them or we join another all sports league that is in an auto bid conference.

Mike Brooks

BE is being stupid not offering all sports. If this conference wants to continue to play FB, invitees must be offered all sports. Time for FB schools and Commish to tell BB schools shut up and sit down. If they would have done this over a year ago Pitt and CUSE may not have initiated contact with ACC.
I seriously doubt AF would want to go BE in all sports. They suck in everything sans FB and the travel for the non revenue sports would be a massive budget suck.

I like "Hair" playing tough guy but the NCAA doesnt allow playing FB in an FBS league and all other sports playing in another FBS league.

jack the frog

Marinatto's plan all along (before all of the realignment) was to add two service academies and Villanova. This lack of vision and strategic thinking led to the defection of Pitt and Syracuse. It doesn't appear that losing two valued members of the conference has changed his strategy very much.

Is that fact? If so that speaks volumes. There never was a plan to raid the ACC or anything like it. They were not simply beat to the punch. Also explains the East Commish "reaching out" malarky that gave me bad vibes at the time.

Why is that important? Wouldn't it make sense (and save schools a decent amount of money) if non revenue sports were in more regionally aligned conferences?

Conferences to me are made up of institutions that have some level of commonality. Having a brand where most people can name all of the full members helps with the marketing of the conference. Partial memberships takes away from the commonality and marketing of the conference. It also contributes to conference instability. In the situation of the Big East, I really resent schools not playing in a particular sport dictating terms of the TV contract for another sport.

HUT-Frog

Okay, so AFA could move to another Western conference that doesn't play I-A football.

West Coast Conference -- BYU, Gonzaga, Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine, Portland, St. Mary's, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Clara.

Air Force and Boise State would fit into that conference pretty nicely.

---

Not being able to keep them in the MWC was no news item. Everybody knew that.

And as for Villanova, they are NOT getting promoted. Their plan was to use the MLS stadium, and the Big East said no. Unless they could find a way to use the Linc, and have to schedule around Temple (and get the Eagles' approval), they are not moving up.

BelushiBob

Conferences to me are made up of institutions that have some level of commonality. Having a brand where most people can name all of the full members helps with the marketing of the conference. Partial memberships takes away from the commonality and marketing of the conference. It also contributes to conference instability. In the situation of the Big East, I really resent schools not playing in a particular sport dictating terms of the TV contract for another sport.

So says the guy that wants New Mexico to go to the Big East

New Mexico and NYC dont have commonality

It's not that adding Air Force is a bad move...it's that the wisdom behind adding Air Force and Navy for football only is derived from the commissioner being influenced by the basketball schools. They don't want a bloated basketball league. A 17-team league was already causing enough heartburn. With Navy and Air Force football only, they can add one all-sports school (like Temple, ECU or UCF) and get to 10 football, and 17 basketball schools.

However, the problem of the basketball and football contingencies will still exist. The Big East's stability problems will not have been solved with this kind of move.

Marinatto's plan all along (before all of the realignment) was to add two service academies and Villanova. This lack of vision and strategic thinking led to the defection of Pitt and Syracuse. It doesn't appear that losing two valued members of the conference has changed his strategy very much.
I hate the thought of a bloated basketball conference too. Has the BE considered dumping a couple of the basketball only schools? Send DePaul, Providence and Seton Hall packing. After adding us and losing Syracuse and Pittsburgh, they'd be down to 12, which would give them room to expand without being too big.

HUT-Frog

Has the BE considered dumping a couple of the basketball only schools? Send DePaul, Providence and Seton Hall packing.

The non-football schools (outside Notre Dame) are going to stick together.

Fact is, the Big East has some VERY viable options and could make a MAJOR step forward in football. However, the consternation is over those non-football schools, the power that they wield in the direction of the Big East moving forward.

That's why I said yesterday that the best chance to make that major step forward has to come from Notre Dame.

If the Irish tell those seven non-footballs that they will move their Olympic sports if the Big East doesn't become viable, those non-football schools will shut up and allow things to happen. If Notre Dame doesn't exert that leadership, the Big East will not realize its full potential -- and we'll have several schools looking to get out somewhere down the road.

So says the guy that wants New Mexico to go to the Big East

New Mexico and NYC dont have commonality

We have already established that geography does not matter much with this league otherwise TCU would not have gotten the invite. The fact that this conference is considering AFA tells me that geography should not matter for New Mexico. For what its worth, I am saying that New Mexico brings more to the conference than UH or SMU.

HUT-Frog

Temple, ECU, UCF, Navy ... Boise State, SMU, Houston ...

I didn't say they had home runs ... I said VERY viable ... And all those are. Not just from football angle, but TV angle as well.

asleep003

It's not that adding Air Force is a bad move...it's that the wisdom behind adding Air Force and Navy for football only is derived from the commissioner being influenced by the basketball schools. They don't want a bloated basketball league. A 17-team league was already causing enough heartburn. With Navy and Air Force football only, they can add one all-sports school (like Temple, ECU or UCF) and get to 10 football, and 17 basketball schools.

However, the problem of the basketball and football contingencies will still exist. The Big East's stability problems will not have been solved with this kind of move.

Totally Agree... But need to require the BB schools to backoff while FB part of league secures a stable successful transition and will work out the BB league structure the best possible Arrangement ... or they'll lose all remaining FB schools if they don't stop.